Yeovil Entertainment Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by baribari, Feb 7, 2005.

1. baribari

baribari Member

Congrats to Aveley and Newham Band...

1. Aveley and Newham, Nigel Taken, 3, 195
    2. SWT Woodfalls, David Barringer, 12, 194
    3. Cwmaman Institute, Jonathon Corry, 11, 193
    4. Flowers, Philip Harper, 5, 192
    5. Bournemouth Concert, David Hayward, 13, 191
    6. Camborne, Chris Davies, 1, 190
    7. Staffordshire, David Morgan, 9, 189
    8. Kidlington, Catherine Underwood, 10, 188
    9. Harrogate, David Lancaster, 6, 187
    10. Tongwynlais Temperance, Bryn James, 8, 186
    11. Bodmin, Major Ian McElligott, 7, 185
    12. St. Austell, David Loukes, 2, 184
    13. City of Bristol, Andrew Jones, 4, 183

Best soloist:
    Steve Howells, trombone. Cwmaman :D

(copied from 4barsrest)

All in all a good day, especially with mr howells' prize and the little rugby match afterwards! :D Still feel a bit rough!!!
  2. baribari

baribari Member

just read 4BR comments about the Yeovil Contest....

• the contest standard wasn't very good, and
    • Colin Hardy can't adjudicate for toffee.
    Thanks for that 4BR!

any thoughts? did anyone actually hear the majority of the bands? I heard CISB and only cos I was playing. what are the opinions of the pannel? are 4BR right to say what they have said?
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Iwan Fox has certainly given us (and specifically me :shock: ) a good kicking there!

A bit harsh when I'd stood in at the last moment, and the only other set of bells I'd ever played - at the previous rehearsal - worked the other way around - depressing the pedal put the dampers on.

I'm not very impressed with that sentence. :mad:
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I can't complain about a single word of Colin Hardy's remarks. As usual, Colin was fair and constructive in his criticism of our performance, giving appropriate praise where it was due. No complaints.

The reviewer for 4Bars Rest was most critical of us for the inclusion of Sparke's Orient Express in our programme - it was clearly a little too long for his attention span - but I've no regrets about including a more significant, original work in our programme, particularly such an attractive piece which has been a little negected recently. And it isn't exactly hard work for the audience!

The difference between adjudicator and 4BR is that the reviewer sitting in the audience is operating with different criteria: he can see the bands (and any visuals they include) and he knows who they are, so is at liberty to complain that a band has played the same piece three years in succession - both irrelevent so far as the adjudicator is concerned.

I heard Cambourne (who sounded great - really tight, but the solo was a little dull and placing near the end of the programme was possibly a mistake), Woodfalls (great playing, awful thematic links!) and Bournemouth (straightforward programme, well played). I also heard Flowers form backstage and they sounded very committed and energetic but not without the odd slip.

We had a fabulous weekend away and hope that we've done enough to be invited back next year. Yeovil is simply the best-organised contest I have ever taken part in; bands and players are treated as if they really matter, rather than as inconveniences which get in the way of the smooth running of the event...

5. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

I worked out long ago the reason why 4BR have continually declined to make people pay for using their services - they can say whatever they like (within libel laws of course) and nobody can really complain!

Fair play to 'em I say - and we've been on the receiving end of some harsh words in the past as well! (search the 4BR archives for retrospective of Yeovil 2003 to see what I mean!)
  6. baribari

baribari Member

Yup Mr Harrogate MD - couldn't agree more. Really well run contest. Parking for the bus, chap to take us to the pre-arranged (by the organisers) rehersal facility, van to load percussion and bassess and things, full (mostly) auditorium, great relaxed atmosphere, pre-draw (which no-one has been blathering about on t'internewt) etc, etc.

If someone could just sot out the weather for next year, that would be great...

(really must try and get some work done now...)
  7. Lisa

Lisa Member

I heard 10 of the bands (not COBB, Tongwynlais and staffordshire) and definitely agree with 4br top 3. I can't believe Flowers only came 4th! :-( I thought they were by far the best. Also thought Aveley and Newham were great- thought their jazzy-type pieces were amazing but when they played more slow, quiet stuff they didn't have a warm, brass band sound - it was a bit too harsh for me.

Thought Cambourne were good too - they had a really lovely warm, blendy tone and the playing was really tight. The only thing I thought was that they didn't have a big enough sound - it didn't reach very far off the stage, if you know what I mean?

Thought Cwmaman were good too, they stood out as being one of the better bands, and had a much bigger sound. But I thought sometimes it was a bit too loud and uncontrolled.

The reason I thought Flowers were amazing was because not only could they play the jazzy stuff really well, they also played the quiet stuff with a great tone and loads of control, and their sound filled every corner of the hall.
  8. Lisa

Lisa Member

Entertainment-wise, my friend and I were both very amused by the percussion player in Bodmin band, whose fringe kept dancing up and down every time he clashed his cymbals.
    We also liked Philip Harper's ar*e, which has definitely improved over the last couple of years :rolleyes:
  9. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Even I think Phil shakes it well after conducting us for a while.