Yeovil Entertainment Contest 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Horco, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Horco

Horco Member

Please find a list of the 2009 Yeovil Entertainment contest in February

Aveley & Newham
    Burry Port (still awaiting entry form)
    Friary Guildford
    Mount Charles
    St Dennis
    St Keverne
    SWT Woodfalls

Having completed a survey last year from all the bands entered we have decided to run this years contest as an open adjudication contest.

At last years contest we asked all competing for their preference for the future and the results were 50/50 although there was no conclusive evidence that an open adjudication was best at Yeovil we have decided that a trial year was the best way forward and will be asking the same questions again this year in preparation for 2010.

For more details visit our website

Yeovil Town Band
  2. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

Who are the adjudicator's please
  3. Delbert

Delbert Member

David Read is the judge

See you there
  4. Delbert

Delbert Member

Paul as the judging is Open - will you be publishing the draw??

5. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks for the info Paul. I've kick started the 2009 predictions with the Yeovil contest. :)
  6. Horco

Horco Member

Hi Derek,
    Although this year is an open adudication we have no plans to publish the draw prior to the day.
  7. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

On the basis that it is only now 10 days away where is the predictions category for Butlins?

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Once we have a definitive list of competing bands, I'm sure Di will set it up.
  9. Di

Di Active Member

As promised, done. :biggrin:
  10. I wonder what impact the open adjudication will have for the bands...
  11. Horco

Horco Member

Just to let you know the Yeovil Entertainment Contest 2009 is now official Sold out.
    We have a waiting list of 15 for those last minute cancelled tickets, or the tickets not used by the competing bands, if you wish to be added to this list now would be a good time to add your names please email
  12. Is the snow affecting anyones rehearsal for the contest? I see that its forecasted Snow in Yeovil on Saturday!
  13. Delbert

Delbert Member

We cancelled practice on Monday and Tuesday. So fingers crossed the bad weather will stay away until Sunday at least!

14. Dai Thomas

Dai Thomas New Member

Yes, we (Tredegar) had to cancel rehearsal on Tuesday night due to the snow. Hope we don't have too much snow or the contest may be off and I'm in the mood for a good few pints now (after we have played !!) honest.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  15. Why is there limited percussion being supplied?
    I would have thought that for a contest of this standing, percussion would have been hired and speeded up the turnaround between bands?
  16. Horco

Horco Member

Hi MightyForester.
    Back stage is organised by mostly the percussion team at Yeovil and we understand that each pecussionist is happier playing the tuned equipment they know.
    That is why this year we have decided not to supply tuned percussion, conbined with the new layout of the octagon and provided all percussion sections arrive at the oppointed time we can give a turn around within 5 minutes for a standard set up.
    Hope this helps
  17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

There's some merit in this - I came a highly embarrassing cropper a few years ago at Yeovil, when we played the last two movements of the Year of the Dragon with only two percussionists. To cover the section where three are needed in the last movement, it was arranged (at the last minute) that I would put my trombone down and briefly move over to the tubular bells to play this part. It worked fine in the rehearsal the night before - but come the day, the pedal on the bells operated the other way around to the set we'd borrowed. And once I'd started, I thought that I couldn't very well change things - and it didn't sound too bad from right by the bells. Apparently it sounded a lot sillier from the audience :oops: :oops: :oops:; 4barsrest had some choice words about it...
  18. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

and my experience from the last couple of years is that the back stage team do a damn fine job of sorting everything out.

I remember last year there was a van to help shift kit between car parks. You say the layout of the octogan has changed - what is the plan re non-supplied percussion? What are the alloted times?

19. Horco

Horco Member

Hi Guys
    The rear area of the Octagon has be rebuilt, giving a completely under cover area for set up.
    The only problem I can see is the concrete floor if you drop things, just remember if you make a real noise setting up dont complain if somebody else does it whilst your playing!!!!
    The alloted times have already been sent out to your contest controller.
  20. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

yeah, sorry, I forgot that the order of play hasn't been announced. Doh!