Ye Olde Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Dec 9, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All these threads about food got me thinking ... any old traditional recipes that you never hear about now?

My offering is Baked Apple Balls with Custard

Simple to make (and not seen on the net, unless they have a different name).

Ingredients:- Large Cooking Apples (cored)
    Rolled Short Cut Pastry
    Sugar (to sprinkle on top of pastry)
    Custard (to pour over finished dessert)

Method:- Peel and core apples then wrap in rolled pastry (sealed at bottom). Sprinkle sugar on top and bake in medium/hot oven until pastry is golden brown and apple is cooked. Serve with hot custard. Mum is Scottish and she has had this recipe since she was a girl. :p

p.s. you can sprinkle some cinnamon or grate some nutmeg over the apple for seasoning. Even add currants and raisins as a stuffing. I prefer the natural taste.

2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

^ also known as Shropshire Apple Cobs, where I come from... ;)
    I give you:
    Toffee-Topped Peaches
    16oz can peach halves
    1/2 pt double cream (or fromage frais)
    6oz Demerara sugar
    1. Drain peaches and lay in the bottom of an over proof dish, reserving one for decoration
    2. Lightly whip cream and spread over peaches. Chill (dish, not self, although abottle of white wine may be consumed at this point...)
    3. Just before serving, sprinkle sugar over dish and grill until sugar melts. Cut remaining peach half into slices and garnish. Serve immediately with Tokay or similar.

BMB
    xx

3. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

or Apple Dumplings, particularly nice if stuffed with mincemeat or fruit such as blackberries before wrapping in pastry and cooking!

Janet

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I phoned my mum about them and if I get the ingredients she's going to show me her way of baking them ..... :woo

5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

oh no not a cookery thread. my post count will go through the roof! :biggrin: