YBS Rumour mill

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ricardo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ricardo

ricardo New Member

Whats this I have heard about YBS?

I have heard a rumour that out of the ashes the YBS band are rising like the proverbial phoenix, however under their old alias The Hammonds Sauce Works Band!

Maybe a member of the band would like to either clarify or deny this rumour.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Hammonds Sauce Works Band
    YBS Rumour
    YBS band
    old alias
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Does it really matter what they are called? As long as the band survives, they can call themselves what they like!

4. leisa

leisa Active Member

well said chunkmeister, who really cares what they are called?? I doubt any of them will bother replying to any rumours or speculation anyway

5. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Hammonds is still a registered trademark. So it will not happen without permission to use the name.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

It's always difficult for bands whom have been heavily sponsored to find a catchy title after the money runs out. I was playing with Travelsphere Holidays band when the dosh ran out and they reverted back to GUS. The first concert after the name change was packed, as most of the paying public had no idea who Travelsphere was, but as soon as they recognised an 'old' name, they sold the concert out.

YBS could consider themselves very fortunate to have had a top notch sponsor for a number of years and they were very successful with it. However, the loss of the name has, I think, caused a certain loss of identity. This matters nothing to the band world, but when it comes to bums on seats in concerts, it does. The same would happen if Black Dyke changed their name to 'Queensbury Silver Prize Band' or something like that!

Obviously the organising committee at YBS have been working very hard to find an alternative sponsor and I wish them the best of luck. Unfortunately, in these uncertain times, I don't think there will be too many companies around willing to splash their money around in the direction of a minority interest.

Reading the recent article on the band on 4BR, I suppose the band could revert to being called Saltaire, but perhaps YBS is as good as any for now!

7. markyboy

markyboy Member

About 3 years ago , word was going round that they were going to be renamed as CWS Manchester and that didn't happen .

That was from various different sources as well . ( Get it ?? )

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Yes you're right. When Travelsphere went back to GUS, they needed permission from the company to use it.

It's always a bit unfortunate as the company gets free publicity without spending a penny and I think many people will still think of YBS as Yorkshire Building Society.

9. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

As far as a lot of people are concerned, yes, it doesn't matter what a band calls themsevles, so long its one name or other. YBS and Fodens are synominus with one another(name wise), that will never go away from them. Its like when Brittania Building Society took over Foden's, Buy AS You View with Cory. people always would refer to them as Fodedn's or Cory.

It looks as though YBS might have a difficult time in changing there name, especially getting permission to use it.

10. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I always thought of them as Hammonds Sauce Works Band,as youngsters it was the band that we all wanted to play for,I prefer the Hammonds name as I do Cory,Fairey,Fodens,Gus etc..I hope the firm allows the band to use its old name again.

11. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Probably just th Hammonds name will do. Sounds ok that to me.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Hammonds Sauce Works Band
    YBS Rumour
    YBS band
    old alias
  13. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

We had this issue when we lost our sponsorship from the Staffordshire Building Society. However, we'd always kinda been known as 'Staffs Band' so since most of our players live in or around Staffordshire anyway, The Staffordshire Band we became.

Its difficult to come up with a name that people recognise as still actually being the same band. A lot of non-banders think that you are actually a different band if you change the name.

14. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

reverting would not increase name recognition in this case.

although it would remove the ridiculous situation where the company ceases sponsorship but keeps getting all the benefits.

15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

No need to change their name just change the acronym YBS - Yorkshire Brass (Saltaire)

16. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

It would appear someone set up a new name just to get his/her big spoon out again!

17. Dago

Dago Member

You're probably right! YBS have a great record and deserve some respect for the way they are trying to get things on an even keel - it may take some time, but we should be wishing them well rather than trying to stir up trouble!

18. rikster

rikster New Member

I'm not bothered what they call 'emselves, I'm just looking forward to the next time they come down south so I can go listento 'em.