YBS news

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Straightmute, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I just saw this on 4Bars Rest:

YBS are to lose their sponsorship from the end of the year. This must be a huge blow for the band - I hope that they are able to make adequate provision to ensure the band's continuing success.

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I saw that. Bad news for them i fear.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any reason given for the sponsorship being lost? Was just a fixed term deal that the building society didn't want to renew? :-?
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to the article (and that on BrassBandWorld, that seems to give more of the view from Yorkshire Building Society rather than the band) they've been very happy with the exposure the band has given to the company name, but they are changing their marketing strategy. It looks as if they are going to continue their support of YBS Concert and Junior bands under their community initiatives.

I'd be very surprised if they don't come up with another high-profile supporter before too long.
  5. Highnote

Highnote New Member

Its a sad fact of top level banding these that if you lose your sponsor without an adequate replacement, your band is under threat. I hope that YBS have had prior knowledge of losing their sponsor and have had time to make contingency plans. I would guess that they need at least £100,000 a year just to pay the corner men and the MD.

Rumour has it that one top band has now got sponsors for some of the section leaders which enabled them to offer £25000 a year to one player to sign up recently.

Perhaps every band could do with a professional fund raiser!!
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well they have till the end of the year, and they're obviously still a massive band who demand huge fees for concerts, so I'm sure a new sponsor won't be a problem... but it could be a bit strange if they change their name...
  7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Maybe that's why they had "Yorkshire Brass Band" on their programme, banners etc for the concert they did in Lochgelly a couple of months ago...
  8. Syrup

Syrup Member

They will have known about this for a while behind the scenes. Not sure how much the players knew about this though, I bumped into a couple of YBS players at Pontins and there was no mention of anything this significant.

As for the rumour, I have also heard about the section leader sponsorships, and for the player signed recently he is worth every penny.
  9. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

If you looked closer you would have seen the words "Building Society" below Yorkshire and above Brass Band.

Lets all hope all will be ok. Im sure it will.

10. wally

wally Member

it states on one of the websites mentioned above that they will be retaining their current identity through continuing to be known as "the YBS Band". It also states that according to gressy they have been looking around, putting irons in fires and have had considerable interest from potential sponsors. This might just be brave speak, but a band of their stature isnt just going to fall apart overnight. Personally I doubt they'll suffer too badly at all.
  11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No, that was just an error at the printers. By the way they don't charge exorbitant fees compared with some of the other top bands. They were in fact a lot cheaper than some of the other bands we looked at, although I did hear in conversation after the gig that their fees are going to go up.
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I took that as meaning that would be their name while they were without sponsor... I imagine once a new major sponsor comes along they'll want their name in there somewhere...
  13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Not true, I held out for £30000
  14. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I still rather be a plumber. :-D
  15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Oooh. Sorry! I wasn't very well that weekend, so I probably wasn't looking closely enough. It was a good concert anyway, whatever they're called ;)!