YBS broadcast

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Brian Bowen, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Thanks, YBS, for a worthwhile "Listen to the Band" broadcast on 12 December. It included music of substance and all well performed.

2. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hi Brian:

Can you explain how you listened to YBS? Also, how did you know they were on in time to listen?

3. Brian Bowen

I listen to the BBC stations via Internet streaming audio. I can either hear LTTB live (doesn't it always go out at 9:00pm GMT Friday evenings) or anytime the following week until the next broadcast of LTTB. The quality is usually pretty good (I play it on broad-band in stereo through an amplier and speakers, or headphones) - though some are better than others. In the same way I listen to a number of Radio 3 programmes. There's nothing to match the quality and variety of BBC programming on American radio.

In fact I listened again to "Jupiter" on the YBS broadcast, seeing that they won the "Open" with it. It failed to thrill me, I'm afraid. The tempos seemed quite cautious at times and the actual transcription produced occasional oddities of balance. I guess the truth of the matter is, the vivid original orchestration just spoils you for anything else.

In fact, the test pieces chosen this year for the Open and Nationals (neither original works for band) were a let-down. Yes, I also heard Fairey's winning performance of "The Enigma Variations" via the Internet (LTTB).

While talking about LTTB, could someone ask Frank Renton to stop putting marcato accents on every other word he speaks when announcing? It makes you feel as though you're in Kindergaten or an Eventide home.

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

It wasn't the live "open" performance of Jupiter that you heard. In fact the whole program was recorded in just over an hour!!!! The band currently hold the record for the quickest recording session for Listen to the Band. (Most bands take 2 hours + !!!). But back to jupiter, it was recorded last in the session i think, and after an hours non-stop playing "giving it your all" the band were sounding quite tired.

5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

LTTB normally goes out at 21.30 on a Friday.
    The programme used to be an hour long but was cut to half an hour some while ago.
    I missed the YBS broadcast 'live' so also listened to it on the internet, on Saturday.
    I appreciated the more adventurous choice of programme than the usual 'fayre' we are served on LTTB. It was great to hear some 'original' music for band this time.

6. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

1 hour recording time is impressive- I know some bands have taken almost 4 hours before!

However, only 2 of the pieces YBS played were original works for band. Have to say I'm bored of Jupiter after hearing it about 14 times at the Open.

It was all well played although I cant say it blew me away. May have done so if more time was spent on it :wink:

Igg

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian, I'll give it a try. I agree with your comments re American Radio. Life in North America is great but nothing even remotely compares to the BBC.

By the way, a few days ago I was listening again to "My Comfort and Strength" as recorded by the ISB at Fairfield Hall, Croydon. I've always enjoyed the piece and that particular recording is so full and bright, it just resonates. My thanks for a superb work.

8. Brian Bowen

I knew the performance was done in the studio. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

9. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Fastest Recording Session????????

Say's who.......

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

my dad who does all the recordings :p mwhahaha

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Listen to the Band
    YBS broadcast
    Band
    music of substance
  12. mutsuj

mutsuj Member

I guess he only does them all when a band has to specifically set up a session for the sole purpose of LTTB.

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yes, hasn't done spennymoor or the open/finals etc. did the recent bbc 2 youth brass soloist competition though which should be on the air late feb i think. The record time thing is only for the bands recording in studio 7, which is most, although a few use Morley town hall when 7 is in use.