Ybs At Regents Hall

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pete_davis, Oct 18, 2005.

1. pete_davis

pete_davis New Member

I was at Regents Hall last Friday to hear YBS perform the pre-nationals concert - and what a superb concert it was. A long standing ovation at the end and everyone went home happy. - Nearly everyone that is. I was sat directly behind [Edit: Name removed] who writes in [Edit: Name of magazine removed]. He was one who didn't stand up and was heard to comment that YBS were terrible. I know musical enjoyment is subjective but how anyone who claims to have some knowledge of brass bands can descibe such a superb performance as 'terrible' beggars belief. No doubt his review will appear in the next edition of [Edit: Name of magazine removed].

I would be interested to hear what other TMPers who went to Regents Hall thought about this concert

Pete:clap:

Edit: Names of both the person and magazine removed from the above, as per tMP Rule #2

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  2. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I was at Regent Hall and thought the concert was great. Good music performed by a great band in a virtually full hall. Good value for money too, the band started at 7.30 and the last note of a beautiful rendition of 'Irish Blessing' was after 10pm by my watch.

3. pete_davis

pete_davis New Member

Sorry for the need to edit - as a new poster I didn't read the rules properly.

Consider me suitably admonished

Pete:mad:

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although not there myself - being there all afternoon, followed by all day at the RAH would have been too much, particularly for my dad - I heard nothing but good reports on the Saturday. As Pete says, ones reaction to a performance can depend on all sorts of things, and I for one have on occasion come away disappointed in some way or other with a concert that others have raved over. If I am then writing a review, it is up to me to put across my own impressions, even if it is qualified in some way to acknowledge that my view may not be that of the majority.

5. lauren

lauren Member

I too was at the YBS concert and was a tad disappointed with some of the playing; particularly Shine as the Light because the tempo it was taken sadly made the playing very untidy in places. Was it really necessary? :confused:
    However i must say that their performance of i'll walk with God will stick in my memory for a long time to come...the last note...need i say more - what an amazing sound. Some fantastic soloists were on show too displaying their virtuosic playing once again. :clap:
    Just a shame that their last piece on the programme didn't quite leave me with the smile i usually have when having listened to it.

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Maybe the comment alluded to in the original post in this thread was in direct reference to the final piece then, and not the whole programme? It's easy to take comments out of context, without knowing the full story, as has been said, guess we keep an eye on the reviews that are published! ;)

7. timjones

timjones Member

As an Army bando who doesn't often get the chance to listen to secular bands, I must say that I wasn't particularly impressed by YBS at the Rink.

Having worked all day in the Coffee Shop (side issue!), I decided that if the band were any good, I would stay right through.

Alas, I was home in North London by 10pm.

While the band were good, I didn't hear any playing that I couldn't have heard from an SA band. Part of the appeal of playing SA music is the spritual side which brings out the passion in the players. While listening to the Heaton march, "Praise", I couldn't help feel that the band were only aiming for technical proficiency to impress the audience and the supercilious Prof. King.

Perhaps the louds were louder, and the quiets were quieter, but otherwise it was a poor show from what I expected to be a decent band.

8. Highnote

Highnote New Member

The concert on Friday was superb. I am sure the YBS lads and lassies, together with Dave King will not lose a great deal of sleep over the views of one reviewer.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and no band can hope to please all the people, all of the time.

YBS are to be congratulated on their progress during the past year since losing their sponsorship. They havn't had the usual contest successes but they have still been a within a whisker of winning and at the same time, their concert performances have got even better. - just ask the Australians, French and probably the Germans after this weekend.

9. timjones

timjones Member

While Prof. King and the YBS players may not be bothered by one reviewers comments, I strongly suspect that, in their days of non-sponsorship, they will be bothered by the fact that people are not enjoying their concerts. I felt they their performance was below expectations, and by telling this to my friends and colleagues, it is more than likely that they would think twice before attending a YBS concert.

If people aren't going to their concerts, then they aren't getting the money. It's simple business and if they can't deliver the goods, they will find themselves becoming less popular and therefore less sucessful.

10. Highnote

Highnote New Member

But people ARE enjoying their concerts - throughout the world!!

Virtually every concert is sold out. They get a standing ovation at nearly every concert. What more proof do you want?

Tims reference to the "supercilious" Prof King suggests more than a little anti YBS bias but his other comment that "I didn't hear any playing that I couldn't have heard from an SA band" has to be a joke

As I said before you can't please all the people all the time and that goes for all bands including the SA bands.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=Cantonian
    Salvation Army
    SA
    Band
    Ybs
  12. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

1) If you had been bothered to stay until 10pm, you may have noticed that 95% of the audience gave a very, very long standing ovation. Now! you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that they might have enjoyed the concert just a little bit! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2) Do your friends or colleagues not have minds of their own? You must be one heck of a powerful person if you can control which concerts they must or must not attend

3) sounds to me like you want them (YBS) to fail!!!???

I was at the concert, and thouroughly enjoyed it, and the soloists were fantastic! :D

p.s.
    Bet your coffee shop's a bundle of joy!

13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

1) So, you would describe 'Praise' as soul saving music?

2) 'I didn't hear any playing that I couldn't have heard from an SA Band' .........bold, bold ......bold statement

3) So you didn't think YBS were a decent band then........?

If you did not enjoy the concert then that is totally up to you and noone can deny you the opportunity to express that, but suggesting that the playing was not of a high standard is off the mark IMHO

14. timjones

timjones Member

1. While I don't command power over my friend's concert going habits, they may think twice if they have heard a bad review.

2. "Praise" was written by a Salvationist for SA publication - kind of makes me think it was supposed to be soul-saving music.

3. Why should my SA band comment be a bold statement? Have you heard Glorifico Aeternum played by the ISB or Shine as the Light by the New York Staff Band? Techinically accurate and spiritually to the point.

4. At no point did I suggest that YBS had played badly, or were an indecent band. I did say that they weren't as good as I had hoped.

15. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

You're asking for trouble with comments like these, and those you keep making! :oops:

(PS What 'soul saving' words is the march 'Praise' based on? We won a march competition with it last year, so would be nice to know what the words are! ;) )

16. timjones

timjones Member

How am I asking for trouble?

Johnflugel said I am entitled to express my opinion, and I'm doing so.
    IMHO the concert was below expectations. In other people's it wasn't.

17. timjones

timjones Member

Why, highnote, is my SA band comment "a joke"?

I'd like to hear your opinion on this

18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Just to pick you up on your point 3 - what makes the performances by the ISB or NYSB more spiritually the point than YBS? Not that I disagree with you - but I would like to hear what you think.

19. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

You're onto a loser with this one, Tim!

Incidentally, went with a group of SA musicians to a YBS concert a few years ago. They ended the evening with Downie's "In Perfect Piece". Many people agreed that its was the most 'spiritually uplifting' playing that we had heard for many years. If the music is played properly, then that is all that the composer can ask for. And it will have the desired effect.

20. timjones

timjones Member

I guess that having a group entirely comprised of practising commited Christians (which may apply to YBS) playing the music for a spiritual reason brings out more passion in the players.

I certainly feel that I am sometimes more focused playing in Sunday services than in concerts.

It probably boils down to disovering whether the playing is for entertainment, or whether it is a personal worship or celebration of the talents that have been given.

21. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

There are many issues coming up in this thread most of which prove that listening to a Band festival, concert, performance or message is subjective.

I have been 'spiritually moved' by interpretations of Salvation Army published pieces by non SA bands. I have also cringed at some interpretations of 'soul saving' music by SA bands. I realise however that what I cringed at may have been 'speaking' to another person within the audience.

If we were all the same the world would be a boring place and tMP would be a boring forum. We aren't and it isn't. There are many opinions all of which should be respected even if disagreed with, so please let us not bring back the Salvation Army/non SA band divide.

Whatever one's beliefs, theability to write or perform music is a gift so let's celebrate that.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=Cantonian
    Salvation Army
    SA
    Band
    Ybs