Yamaha Xeno

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Scotty, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member

As the proud owner of a Yamaha Xeno trumpet since last july, over the past month or so i have noticed little red/orange dots appearing on the lead pipe of the instrument.

Considering the instrument is only 9/10 months old i was pretty worried about it so I called the shop and they could tell what the problem was as soon as i described it. "corrosion from the inside" he said.

I've never heard of this before and considering he knew what the problem was over the phone it can't be the first problem of its kind with this instrument??

So im just interesterd to see whether anyone knows about or has experienced this problem before??

Cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha Xeno
    instrument
    problem
    orange dots
    Yamaha Xeno trumpet
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I find it hard to believe that any sort of corrosion has gone completely from the inside of the tube to be visible on the outside in such a short amount of time.

It's much more likely that the tube was not properly cleaned before the finish was applied, so that some contaminant is cutting through the finish.

In either case, it indicates a problem that the manufacturer should rectify!

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I think it's known as Red Rot. I'm surprised such a new Yamaha instrument is starting to show this problem. It was quite an issue in the past with yamaha instruments. I was told by an instrument maker/repair chap that during the 70's and 80's Yamaha instruments suffered this problem because of a Japanese law relating to scrap metal recycling. The quality of the brass suffered as a result.

Is it still under warranty? If so, take it back to the shop for repair/replacement.

5. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Certainly sounds like red rot. A common problem on older instruments that haven't been kept to well. Very odd it is appearing in such a new Yamaha. If its in warranty send it back. If not then get it checked over by a good brass repair man and have the lead pipe replaced.

6. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yer I'd say red rot as well I got it on both my Yamaha cornet and Yamaha trumpet within a year of having them, it's not effected the instruments though so I can't say it bothers me!

7. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

It will bother you when it eventually eats through the brass leaving you with nice holes in your instrument. Take it to a good repair man to check it out. He may have something that could stop the rot (although that is unlikely), or he will have to make good whats there. you are best getting it checked now rather than waiting, otherwise the only options will be to completely replace the damaged tubing or to do a patch job, which never look good and can alter the way the instrument plays drastically.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member

Yeah the shop in question said to return and it will be returned to Yamaha to get it sorted out have to wait until after my solo recital at uni on 9th may before i do that.

But like yous all mentioned before im really surprised this has happened to such a new instrument and i hope i can get it sorted out after my exam.

Cheers for your advice guys!

9. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

.....and make sure you ask them for a "courtesy" trumpet whilst yours is being sorted out.

10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The band that I played for in the '70's/80's had a few Yam cornets, and the lead pipes started rotting through. (Discolouring, then cracking.) One of our bass players was a metallurgist with NCB, and took one away for tests.

The problem? Salt. They were corroding from the inside out, because players ate crisps and then played. (Apparently...)

However, he never explained why my cornet rotted, and I never ate crisps.....