Yamaha Timps

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Pegram, Jun 12, 2006.

1. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

We are going to buy a new set of pedal timps and are looking at a set of Yamaha ones.

Can anyone tell me if they are any good or a make to be avoided.
  2. Timpking

Timpking Member

Personally I wouldn't buy Yamaha timps. If they are copper then they will be good quality but be carefull of the tuning mechanism, they often fall apart making tuning impossible.

Try the Adams universal timps or the cheaper version Condor. These are quality instruments and easy to transport for concerts etc.
    Premier timps are good (and often provided at contests) though the fibreglass models are more fisher price than Berlin Phil!!!

Also make sure you buy good covers for the timps. Try GBz cases they are cheaper than most and much better quality than every other company.
    Contact me for info on BGz cases if you want.
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea I'd say if you're going to spend a wad of cash on timps then go for Adams.

4. radox

radox New Member

Adams or Premier Elite if you can afford them.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

6. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

As mentioned before - look out for the tuning mechanism. Assuming you contest and generally there are Premiers on stage, I would buy the Adams Universals. I believe (correct me someone if I'm wrong!) that the majestics have a reverse pedal - i.e. using the ankle not the toes.

JaM Perc (the Adams supplier) do a decent kit including covers and chair for a reasonable price - you can always add to the set at a later date also. www.jampercussion.com
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

We use the Adams Professional model

If by chance you would ever find yourself in the south-east of Holland, make sure to visit the brandnew Adams store in Ittervoort (near Thorn, halfway between Eindhoven and Maastricht). They may even let you visit the percussion workplace! A frind of mine at band got a tour recently (after he had bought two fiugel horns ;-) )
  8. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Many thanks to all some great advice,i think it will be adams.
  9. davidsait

davidsait Member

I was at MIR (Musical Instrument Repair) in Halesowen, Birmingham, the other day. The chap there said he had some secondhand timps coming in, if you're interested.
  10. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Thanks for info.
    Have made contact they are Ludwigs.
    Here we go again is this a good make?
  11. banger

banger New Member

I would go for a set of Adams timps and Gbz cases. What ever you go for, get cases/covers as they will be cheaper than repairs!!!!!!
  12. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

You'll probably find the Ludwigs to be the reverse pedal action I spoke of earlier!
  13. Timpking

Timpking Member

Don't get Ludwigs.They are great dums but not practical for banding. Cory used to have a set of 4 and they got wrecked when being transported. Also the pedal mechanism is the opposite to premier and Adams etc. so more confusion for the poor percussionist when playing "strange" timps on a contest stage.
    Try Condor Timps which are a cheaper version of Adams available at Jam percussion or just go for the Adams universals and GBz cases.
  14. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Correct - Majestic Timps are "rocker" style pedals - rock forward to tune up, rock back to tune down. We have a set of four Majestics and complicated tuning in a test piece makes things....interesting!

15. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Today we took delivery of 3 new Adams Timps,thanks to all for your help.