Yamaha Tenor Horn- how much is too much?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eb Ben, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Hi All,

As Mrs. eb Ben I've just been forced into the murky world of brass banding... and despite resisting for 10 years am having the time of my life! I'm playing the Tenor Horn, and am looking for an instrument. I was looking at something fairly entry level, but have been offered a Yamaha 601st, great condition (looks like it's only been played two or three times, and recently serviced about 10 years old) and am just wondering what would be a fair price for it? or whether I should run screaming in the opposite direction? The other things I've looked at have been the £200 student instruments from first brass and john packer (any comments on those as well?!) eb Ben would rather I spent £2.50 and gave him the rest for beer at Cheltenham, but we are willing to stretch if the Yam will be leagues ahead- but as I began with (amongst the wittering) what would people think a fair price?

2. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi we have a good price tenor horn available, silver plated with gold trimmings
    have a look!
    www.eastmanuk.co.uk

3. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

well yes but your cheap tenor horn is more expensive than this Yamaha Maestro... even I'm not that daft, If I'm going cheap I'd get the basic or intermediate Virtuosi! Have now decided to wait for a bit and decide after seeing some "in the flesh" or at least sending the Hubby to do look!

4. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi
    I beg to differ as ours brand new is far cheaper than a Maestro which sells at £2234 new!
    Chris

5. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

well yes but the question wasn't about new prices it was about what would be a fair price for a 10 year old maestro, and whether I would be better getting that or a new beginner instrument! Not whether I should buy a new maestro (or Neo for that matter, or a smith watkins! or any of the other things on the dream list) There is no way I could dream of paying £2200 for an instrument... so the question remains, what price is fair for a 10 year old Yam Maestro that has been recently serviced and rarely played

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

As a general principle, a second-hand but good condition professional brass instrument will offer much better value for money (and also retain its value better) than a new student model.

Now I don't know much about horns, so don't feel qualified to offer specific advice on models, but the above holds generally true.

7. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Thanks Dave! I'd guessed that might be the case, would you risk buying one unseen?

8. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

I'd agree with that.
    As a guide you should be able to pick up a decent secondhand Maestro (or Besson Sovereign) for about £700 and I would always go for one of those before a new student/intermediate model.

I'd be wary about buying without trying first, others may disagree though.

9. MoominDave

Depends how much it is and how much I trust the seller. And also where it is - if the only example you can find at a price that works is on another continent, then you don't have much of a choice... For a £700 instrument... I think I'd happily drive 50-100 miles each way to try it before buying - you can always have a day out somewhere en route!

10. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

So if i said it was £400 but is over 200miles away that would seem worth a punt as the seller seems genuine?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha
    Tenor Horn
    Ben
    Cheltenham
    Yamaha Tenor Horn
  12. MoominDave

Where is it? I bet you could find someone on here to give it a parp for you.

13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Sounds like a fair punt to me.

14. My brother has an old Yamaha Maestro, the Yam horns are generally quite good I find, but i would definitely say try before you buy, you could end up wasting money if you dislike it for some reason. I know a few people who made that mistake!

15. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Thanks All, I am playing a yamaha beginner one- (A 202 i think) and have tried someone elses maestro and liked it. may well give it a try, it's down near Cambridge- so may just buy the thing and be done!

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Hi, for an entry/intermediate level instrument I would recommend the John Packer horns. They blow better than the equivalent yamahas and were a fraction of the price.

17. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Is that the one for sale on Gumtree?
    If so I don't think it is a Maestro, it may be an early Yamaha 600 series pro model but not a newer Maestro and doesn't follow the 'standard' pro Eb horn design, more like a student model. Personally I can't fault the newer Yamaha's but have tried a few of the early ones and they're not that great. It may be fantastic but I'd hold out for a decent second hand Sovereign or proper later Maestro.

18. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Thanks very much everyone, have decided on your advice not to risk that one, but then had a mishap on ebay and bought not one, but two student tenor horns ( jupiter one yamaha both for £100) and am just hoping one of those will do for now, and I can shift the other one! Didn't particularly want either, but now am needing a horn desperately as can't commit to the band I've borrowed the one I'm playing from! Am going to keep an eye out for a sov on ebay or such, missed out on an Imp by £10 (hence the panic buying of rubbish!)

19. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I wouldnt go for an Imperial horn if thats what you were referring to.. they arent nearly as good as the Imperial euphs/basses etc. Only older horn worth spending pennies on would be the old round stamp sovereigns. Otherwise for midrange-decent newer stuff you are far better off with the JP horns or newer sovereigns (pre mid-90's or post mid-00's ... the lottery grant era where they were all shovelled off the conveyer belts and not as well made)

20. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

thanks Aidan, main problem is that I have such a tiny budget that I am pretty limited. have some stuff being sent to band on approval, and have decided to just go with my gut on what feels nice to me, along with wise advice from Ben on what sounds least awful! (I've already put the jupiter back on ebay because it was just uncomfortable to hold!)