Yamaha Silent Brass

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shezza, Jul 17, 2011.

1. shezza

shezza New Member

Hello, a few weeks ago I purchased a Yamaha Silent Brass Mute for my cornet,
    on using it for the first time the volume from the head phones was very low even with the volume at its top position. But I thought thats how it should be, after all it is called silent brass BUT its just as loud (or should I say low) when I dont put the head phones on.
    I have since looked a few Youtube clips and realise that the one that I have must be faulty because on some of the clips I find somone has plugged theirs into an amp and it sounds great. The one I have the amp will not pick anything up and when I tap or blow into the mute there is no sound coming out of the amp. (amp new and perfect as I put a keyboard through it)
    Does anyone own a Silent Brass, and do you get a decent volume through you head set...............Many Thanks Pete.

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Yes mine works OK - I do find that some headphones don't work as well as the provided ear-buds though. You might have a newer model than mine but I do get a red LED showing when it has power (mine is an early model). I've been able to feed audio in (to play along with test piece cds for example) and there's definetly a healthy line-out level.

Sounds like you have a duff one.

Andu

3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This rings a few bells. I have a Yamaha ST5 Digital Effects System (which is the souped up version of the Silent Brass system), and it has a 'high' and 'low' input switch on it. If your unit has a similar control (on the ST5 it is on the side of the unit), try the response in both positions.

Just a thought.

Jim