Yamaha silent brass system

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Stanley Accrington, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Does anyone here use it and could offer their observations? Either good or bad. I gather the player can hear themselves playing through an earpiece. But how 'silent' is it in the context of sound levels to others? I'm thinking of getting one for trombone.

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to practice with a practice mute all the time... but it's better than not practicing.

The main problem with practice mutes comes from playing too damned loud with them in. This is a common issue - we expect to hear ourselves atleast a bit and we fight the mute by putting too much volume in.... which is where Silentbrass (or Bestbrass E-brass which is very similar) - basically, because you have the electronics giving you feedback (via headphones), you don't *feel* like you're playing as quietly as you are and this removes the temptation to overblow and fight the mute.

Again, I wouldn't want to practice with a practice mute all the time, but if I did I'd be using silentbrass/ebrass rather than a standard un-mic'd practice mute.

Sound levels from these mutes in the room are pretty low, if it's a neighbour problem it'll almost certainly be quiet enough... I can play comfortably with my mute and not be heard from the next room or from the room below me - that's good enough for me.

(Probably should've said I'm a sop player, I don't know if the noise reduction on the trombone mutes is much different to the cornet/trumpet ones?)

Stanley Accrington likes this.
  3. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

I used an older version when I was re-learning how to play cornet after a long lay off. Did the job for me, no complaints from family or neighbours - I was in a flat at the time!

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I have one observation about mutes and Trombones but you might not find it encouraging, sorry. Trombones aren't the easiest of things to hold and making them more bell heavy by adding a mute doesn't help with that difficulty (it makes it worse and that might force you to shorten your practice sessions). That's my experience, but of course yours could differ.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  5. BrianT

BrianT Member

I bought a Silent Brass for my trumpet several years ago. I have to use a practice mute when I practise at home. After the initial novelty wore off, I stopped using the electronics part of it completely - the sound quality was really hissy but far too flattering with the reverb on. And I found it a hassle to wire up a mains adapter and headphones and the wire between mute and the black box each time I wanted to use practise. I did use the line-in feature a few times so I could play along with backing tracks, and that was quite nice.

It's not silent, but it does substantially reduce the volume.

I still use the Silent Brass mute nearly every day - I found the intonation better at low pitches than the Denis Wick practice mute. But the Silent Brass mute is too wide to fit the soprano bell, so I have to use the Denis Wick practice mute when I'm practising sop.

Jack E and Stanley Accrington like this.
  6. mleigh

mleigh New Member

I use the mute from the silent brass system for long note practice every day, for the simple reason that this mute offers more resistance than any other mute I am aware of. This means that your diapragm gets the best workout possible by playing long notes from piano to forte back to piano again.
    I have also used the electronic functionality of this system in the past , and its very useful. I once practised my part to Beethoven's 9th symphony in a Hotel bedroom very late at night , with full orchestral backing , and i had no complaints from the people in the adjacent rooms !
    Its a great system in my view.

Stanley Accrington and KenIrvin like this.
  7. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

The Wick practice mutes are horrid for intonation, especially the sop one - caant stand them.

Personally, for sop specific practice mutes the Mike McLean Eb practice mute is miles better (as is the cup version of the practice mute) - intonation is good enough to use on stage, too, which I've done several times.

8. merv

merv Member

Hi Stanley
    After many years on tuba I decided to take up trombone a year ago. As I live in an apartment I had no option to use a practice mute all the time and bought the Yamaha Silent Brass system for tenor trombone. I found it excellent and while there is a low nasal sound from it I cannot be heard in the next room. Yet the sound in the earphones is akin to playing in a large hall, really quite flattering. The battery seems to last forever.
    Some say that the mute slightly sharpens or flattens the note but this doesn't hinder you practising it in any way. You can easily adjust the volume to suit yourself. You would need to use a tuner to detect the difference.
    The latest mute which I have is much lighter than the older version but still has a slight forward tilting effect, not enough to put one off.
    After a few weeks I decided to ditch tenor and get a bass trombone. Sadly I had to buy the older model to fit the bass and this is quite a bit more forward tiliting, still not enough to put me off.
    I would highly recommend this mute particularly the newer one which suits the tenor bone. I'm afraid I'm on holiday and don't have the model numbers. It'll mean the difference beteeen you practising and not practising. I have a Wallace non electronic mute and really there is no pleasure in it.
    If you would like to talk to me directly let me know and we can make some arrangement to speak.im normally not on here but can we private message?
    My tenor version was only used for weeks and is near perfect. I would be prepared to sell it to you for a reasonable price that would attract you if you might be interested.
    Go ahead and get one you won't regret it
    Regards
    Merv

9. Intriguing post Merv. I've sent you a pm.

10. Marcus Reynolds

Marcus Reynolds New Member

Hi Stanley, I too have used one on the trombone.
    My only caution to users the built in " I sound wonderful" can be worrying if you stop trying to put your own sound through the horn.
    Overall it's a very petty complaint- if it gets you playing where you normally can't it's worth every penny.
    Hope this his helps too
    Marcus Reynolds

Stanley Accrington and merv like this.
  11. Edward Kettell

Edward Kettell New Member

I can only echo what has already been said.
    I use a Yamaha Silent Brass on my Euphonium when staying in a flat.
    It is surprisingly light, but of course I do not have the balance problems of the Trombone.
    Even my wife can not hear it in the next room.
    I was rather hoping what I hear in the earphones was really the truth. Oh well!!
    Edward

12. Thanks for the advice and information everyone. I'm currently using a trombone practice mute that probably only reduces the sound output by about half of the unmuted sound. (Maybe 3/4 reduction on a good day when I'm really trying to play quietly). I'm just looking for something that let's me play and keeps everyone (me...my partner and my burly neighbour) happy. I have a no practice after 6pm rule but would like to play in the evenings too.

13. merv

merv Member

Yes Edward you would think you were playing in the Royal Albert Hall

14. andyhornblower

andyhornblower New Member

Hi,
    I can thoroughly recommend Silentbrass - although as a French Horn player, I don't have most of the "overbalancing" problems because I'm holding the mute! - I've found that it is definitely "silent" enough to enable pretty much 24 hour practice - even in a flat! - I would suggest that you double check that your output actually IS inaudible outside the room you're practicing in though, just to be on the safe side!

All I can say is go for it - I've found it to be absolutely brilliant!

Andy Parker

KenIrvin likes this.
  15. merv

merv Member

In total agreement Andy. And the originator of this discussion agrees too as I sold mine to him a couple of weeks ago

16. Yes. Thanks for all of your comments and advice regarding the muting system. I have indeed purchased one and would readily recommend it's use to fellow trombonists.

17. merv

merv Member

Great another satisfied customer