Yamaha Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Does anyone out there know how to date Yamaha instruments from the serial number?

I've tried searching online for details but can't find anything!
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Remember when you bought it! ;) :roll:

Sorry, unhelpful me!
  3. bennem

bennem Member

I know that a maestro cornet with serial number 301218 was bought in April 1996. Potentially a 1995 instrument but not earlier.
  4. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I was wondering the same thing. I bought a used Maestro tenor horn and was tying to date it as well (yes, hbb some of us must buy used). It seems their serial number lists are more closely gaurded than other makers. I'll let you know if I discover anything.
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

S'okay.... all my instruments are 2nd hand .... :D
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

If it helps, we have a Maestro cornet made in late 2001 which starts 57, and a horn made in 2002 which starts 62.... could it just be a straight numerical sequence?

Have you contacted one of the big suppliers to see if they have access to this info? Normans have dated a Besson from the serial no. from me before.
  7. Despot

Despot Member

Sat down and tried to figure it out but no luck! :D
  8. skweeky

skweeky Member

is there no yamaha web site that you could email to? saying "hi blah blah blah blah my instrument serial is ?????? could you please date it for me blah blah"

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Yammies probably are too - if you know how! :lol:
  10. skweeky

skweeky Member

can i just ask... why do you need to date your instrument??
  11. Despot

Despot Member

Varies....if you are buying a secondhand instrument, you can usually tell how old it is from the serial number. So you can check if the description and age is accurate for the model advertised.

Also, instruments made a certain times are considered to be better, or worse. The "Elkhart" Conn trombones made in the sixties (?) are considered to be the best ever made, early Yamahas are supposed to be rubbish, round badge B&H instruments are sought after etc.

Sometimes insurance companies will ask the age, and sometimes it's just interesting to know! :D
  12. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Okay, here's the answer I've gotten on the subject:

Yamaha doesn't sequentially number their instruments like other manufacturers (except perhaps their guitars and basses) So if you contact Yamaha, you may be able to get someone to look up the information and tell you when and where it was manufactured, but it's not simply a matter of sequential numbering, thus posting a list to a website or comparing one number to other known numbers and their dates of manufacture (or purchase) is really quite useless.

This came from a repairer and was confirmed by an instrument purchasing agent for a music store, so I believe ti to be true, certainly explains a lot about the seemingly missing information.
  13. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Doesn't work for me :( ... is there a specific way to input a besson sovereign's details?

Oh well, doesn't really matter.
  14. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member