Yamaha Neo Tenor Horn - First Impressions

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by VegasGeorge, Feb 1, 2014.

1. VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge Member

I've had my Neo Tenor Horn five days now. It's a good instrument in all respects. Intonation is very accurate throughout the range. Tone color seems about right for a Tenor Horn. It is extremely open blowing with easily accessible lower notes. The Horn seems to want to keep playing and rarely drops out when transitioning from loud to very soft, or from high to low notes. One thing that surprised me is how light and vibrant it is. I can feel the Horn "singing" in my hands, and I can feel its resonance fading even after I stop playing the note. It reminds me of the way a guitar body resonates after a string is plucked. The Horn handles intervals within the harmonic series very well, and I can already slip up or down an octave by just thinking about it. (This technique is hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, but for those who have, my comment will be immediately understood.) The valves are quiet, quick, and accurate. Valve trills are very crisp and clean. It is a joy to play. I only have one comment on the negative side. I have large hands, and it's difficult to find a comfortable and secure position for my left hand holding the Horn. It's a minor issue, and I'm dealing with it. I suspect that I'll soon get used to a particular position, and it'll feel just fine from then on. I have no regrets about the purchase, and would do it again. Yamaha did a great job on this Horn.