Yamaha Maestro Cornet

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by lottie4744, Aug 15, 2005.

1. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I'm currently thinking about moving onto an Boosey and Hawkes International and selling my Yamaha Maestro Cornet.
    It's less than 3 years old, no dints, laquer's almost perfect except for a bit of wearing away on the valve case, triggers on first and third.
    Just had the overall done at McQueens and everything was said to be fine.
    I'd send it with either the original hard case or a "Gig-bag" that's less than a year old, your choice.
    Anyone any idea how much I could get for it? And is anyone interested in buying it?
  2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I play on a maestro and was considering a change but I have played various other cornets and its the best one for me by a mile. Best sound and quality except for a topA which is a pity. I would encourage anyone to buy it - for me its better than the prestige.
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I have problems on the top A on the Yam Maestro Horn too!
  4. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Everyone I know who plays a Yamaha cornet has problems with the top A. They say you never know when it will hit or splat. Most sold it and bought other brands.
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The way to get that A working (aside from the obvious one of practising - sorry, a radical notion I know) is to use a mouthpiece that works with the instrument. Having tried the Yamaha one that came with the Maestro - it just doesn't work for me.
    To achieve success on any instrument you need to find the mouthpiece/instrument combination that works for you - sometimes this takes some experimentation (welcome to the world of the mouthpiece safari). There are times when certain notes won't speak as easily as others on certain mouthpieces.
    I use a Maestro and have only had problems when I tried the mouthpiece that came with it.
  6. imthemaddude

I remember having this conversation with your friend who came to summer school on cornet last year and someone told me it was the way they were made. Personally I use a deep yamaha mouthpiece and find that wicks dont work as well in them. Its worth playing top A on 3rd valve for the quality of tone you get out of the other notes, its such a warm traditional sound.
  7. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I use a McCann with the instrument and it belts a top A out splendidly, it's alot easier to play it on third valve rather than 1st and 2nd though I must say!
    But really anyone got any idea how much i'll get for the instrument?
  8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I haven't played maestro that often, but I've found for playing A's is not to try too hard. It's quite natural sometimes to try harder when something doesn't quite work!! Also, the note in your head that you are aiming for might not be the correct pitch (i.e. you are trying to hit a Sharp A!), which I have heard to be the case at times.
    The courtois I currently play is similar.
  9. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

can i just say WHY??? i may be slightly biased here but the mastro is a beautiful instrument, never had any problems with mine!!

There was a thread on here not long ago about the new model of maestro called the xeno which will be coming out soon.
    why dont u hang fire and give one of those a go!!!
  10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I've already had a go on Alexs!!! And I really do like them, first choice I would have one of them, but having no job, makes me skint! I might save up for one! They really are beautiful!
  11. imthemaddude

Oh I like the idea of that when are they out? I know they have an Xeno Trumpet.
  12. persins

persins Member

I play on a Maestro and think it's generally great!
    I also tend to play top A's on 3rd rather than 1 & 2 but don't have any major issue hitting them reasonably consistently on a DW2 mouthpiece!!!!!

With regards to value, if it is in good nick as you say it is and is only 3 years old, I would be hoping to get £750+ but I have no real idea whether that is an accurate expectation.
    On Band supplies there is a new one for £1030 so I've just knocked a bit off of that to get to my estimate.
    At the end of the day, it is worth what whoever will pay for it!!!
  13. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Cheers Persins!!! I'm gonna have to go and get it valued me thinks just so I can be sure!
    And I think the Xeno's are expected September/October time! I'm really in two minds as to whethere to go for the Boosey and Hawkes International and have it done up or wait and get the Xeno?!? Eek, decisions, decisions!