Yamaha cornet mouthpieces

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by imthemaddude, Jun 17, 2004.

?

Cornets....What type of mouthpiece do you play on

1. Wick

64.4%
  2. Yamaha

11.5%
  3. Other

24.1%
  1. DanB

DanB Member

Yes, all the feedback I've heard definitely agrees with you! I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) the Sparx ones are designed for trumpets (including a specific range for screamers, which I assume are what work on sop?!!!), whereas GR have now developed a range specifically for cornets. Both GR and Sparx use the same technology, but I've no idea what that is! Seems to work though!!!

2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Thanks for that. I knew it was something to do with that but was not 100% sure which part it was

Cheers Gordon

3. sop 1

sop 1 Member

sparx mouthpieces

no they are the ones designed for cornets! in fact the 4E is a little deeper than the warbuton i was playing on,GR and SPARX i think are in partnership check out the website www.sparxmusic.com
    :biggrin:

4. SA-Corneter

SA-Corneter New Member

I have a Yam 11E4 mp I used to play it , its easy on the lips so u can play for a while with it, its gd in upper middle and lower registers and i helps with your tone, only changed cos got similar size to my trumpet on so was better wen swapping between the two

5. Griffis

Griffis Member

Well, I currently play on a plastic mouthpiece which was actually a prototype for the new DK mouthpice range, an I have to say I wouldnt change it for the world!
    Started off on a wick 4, then moved to a wick 3, then got given the plastic prototype for the DK range, and its awesome! Wouldnt even change it for a metal version...so although i look like a t*t...i feel comfertable playing it

6. Courtenay! :)

Courtenay! :) New Member

I started off playing on a Yamaha mouthpiece (I don't remember which model, whatever one comes with a beginner cornet, I suppose.)
    But then my friend, the sop player from band, sold me a Vincent Bach Corp 6 mouthpiece, and it's brilliant.

I currently play on a Yamaha 5C trumpet mouthpiece, which is okay but I'm looking for a better one, if anyone could reccommend any good trumpet mouthpieces? I'm originally a cornet player so I'm thinking of getting one similar to my cornet mouthpiece for ease of switching between instruments, but someone told me that's not a good idea...could anyone shed any light?

7. Courtenay! :)

Courtenay! :) New Member

Really?! Everyone I've spoken to about plastic mouthpieces prefers metal ones lol :tongue:
    I've got a plastic one but it makes me sound funny so I only use it on outside engagements when it's likely to be cold, like Remembrance Parades, as metal hurts when it's cold :-?

8. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Hum, well where do I start? Perhaps at the beginning. As I may have mentioned elsewhere I am an engineer by employment and career, it may come as no surprise that I have a complete workshop at home as well. For those with the interest a Boxford lathe and a few other machine tools, but the lathe is the important piece here.
    I looked at mouthpieces way back in 1999 when I first started learning to play, and decided, "why pay for a fancy mouthpiece when I can make one?"
    Oh no it ain't that easy is it? I wish it was, nine years on, several home made disasters, and a collection of manufactured mouthpieces later, I bought a Denis Wick RW4B, perhaps the best for me up to now.
    I recently bought the latest Besson Sovereign which came with an alliance 3B, which I find difficult to get to grips with. Though dimensionally is not much different than the RW4B, I find some difficulty keeping all my notes as near to on tune as possible with it. All I can say after a lot of experiment to find the mouthpiece that works for me, I haven't got there yet. Very near though, and armed now with a lot more knowledge, I just might be able to make the one true piece, who knows till I try?
    Just my explanation of the trial and error for my two penny worth.

9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

That confirms it Nev.
    You are a true Band Geek! :wink:

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I was playing on a Perrantuci and have moved over to new technology in Mouthpiece design. a loud LM-7.

http://www.loudmouthpieces.com/index.php

Loud do cornet / trumpet Mouthpeices and from my experience their claims stack up well, I won't be going back to the perrantucci or the wick.

11. DCB

DCB New Member

Just got a RW3 and I can't see me needing any other mouthpiece for my cornet!

Peace

12. I am currently using a Dennis Wick 4B after returning to playing cornet regularly after playing Sop most of the time using an S mouth piece. I find that since coming off Sop. and using the 4B I still have problems with misspitching and my tuning slide seems like its half a mile out. However, before I began playing Sop I used to use the Yamaha 16E that I got with my Maestro, the 16E's produce a really nice sound, However the tuning was difficult when playing higher registers. I have also breifly tried a Dennis Wick 5B which are very good, I found that it produced a nice sound and i found it easier to play higher register notes.