Yamaha cornet mouthpieces

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by imthemaddude, Jun 17, 2004.

Cornets....What type of mouthpiece do you play on

1. Wick

2. Yamaha

3. Other

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Could someone do a review of yamaha cornet moutpieces for me ... please :D im interested in other people's opinions of them.
  2. Play a Wick myself - but the Yam MPs are good...........
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i play on a yamaha MP. ive tried a ew others since having it but seem to feel a lot more comfortable on my yamaha
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

whoo hoo super_sop thats great i use a 16E what do you use?
  5. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

I also play a Yamaha mouthpiece at the moment and find it quite comfortable.
    I'm sure you will have heard this before but it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks or what they play on. Every player is completely individual and different...what works for one doesn't always work for another.
    If you are comfortable with your mouthpiece and it gives you the sound you desire then stick with it. :D
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i use a 16E too
  7. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

I think some one did one a while back, i'll try and find it.

8. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

Nope, cant find it, sorry!

But im sure some one did one once.
  9. PSB Tom

PSB Tom Member

I use a Courtois 1.5C
  10. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I used to play on a Yamaha 16E, which came with my Maestro, which made a nice sound but I found it difficult to get a good sounding top register with any depth.

So I moved to a Denis Wick 4b, and found the width too much as I found it difficult to stop air loss from the side of my mouth.

I then bought a Xeno and used the mouthpiece that came with it (DK is it?), which again was a nice sound but too wide for me and I struggled. When I moved onto front row I changed (again!) to a Denis Wick 5b, which is great. Has taken me a few months to get used to it but now I've been using it consistently since the summer I'm starting to see a massive improvement in my playing and, the best thing for me, consistency in the higher register.

I found it’s not the depth, its the width that matters - when talking about mouthpieces, that is ;)
  11. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

I`m playing flugel and all the time I used a DW 4F. I didn`t like the rim on the DW. 3 months ago I bougt an Yamaha 14f4 GP (gold plated rim) and for me its super. Nice and warm sound and easy playing!
    BUT mouthpieces are always an personal choice!!

Try them!
  12. wiemelen

wiemelen New Member

Wick RW3B ... great MP ... is supposed to blow more freely than the 3B .... works just fine for me
  13. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

I used to use a couple of Yamaha mouthpieces,

but since i tried the wick ones i use now ive never gone back.
  14. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Not surprising you're comfortable in the upper register with that combination....I played a DW5 20 years ago....on sop!!!

Can't be good for your lower register tho'.......and consistency in quality of sound throughout the range of the instrument is what we're after, not just the high notes......Not entirely sure about the yamaha mouthpieces (personal opinion to follow)...generally a little bright sounding for me....as is the Maestro cornet......but, I still tend to go for the bigger the better.....the biggest mouthpiece you can play on...c/w the biggest bore instrument(ish)........and still maintain range.

I'm a big fan of the DW2....'spose slightly restricted my range a tad......forget the super C's ...but I could still do a big top C...it's in the mid and lower range where the difference is most noticeable. It allows a breadth and control of sound which is limited on a smaller mouthpiece and ....given a good breathing technique ......a power and sheer volume as and when needed (but still retaining quality) ...that a small mouthpiece will not allow you to do.

I'm not advocating any brand of mouthpiece here. I just firmly believe...that to give ourselves the best chance of being able to produce our most musical of sounds throughout the entire range of any of our chosen brass instruments....go for the biggest you can manage (not all our music calls for super C.....I could hit a good super F on sop with that DW5....them were the days lad!)

Anyway ....rant over....you'll try what you want anyway....u need to go to a good brass shop...or contest stand (if you're brave enough)....try a few...and ask advice...play mid range notes and have a go with one that feels/sounds good.....(and ...yeah.....the only way to get better is still (unfortunately)....practice (takes a bit to get settled with a new mouthpiece - especially a big 'un).....so.....at worst....you've wasted 30 quid and you might get a bit back on ebay...at best...you have a friend for life....seriously.

Sud (feeling a tad "rant req'd" in mood - after most of a very nice bottle of Cabernet)

Just another two pennorth.....
  15. GordonH

GordonH Member

Mouthpiece diameter and register are not that closely related. Its the efficiency of the flow of air through the mouthpiece that makes some easier in the upper register. However, depth of mouthpiece does affect the tone in the lower register, shallower mouthpieces tend to sound rough in the lower register and I have never found them much help in the upper register either.

By the way, the 16E Yamaha is a popular choice, I know a few people who play on them and like them. I tried one and found it tough going in the uppoer register because of the throat size. You need to get a mouthpice that provides the right level of resistance. Resistance is a combination of the resistance of the instrument, the mouthpiece shape (especially the throat), the mouthpiece to leadpipe gap and the resistance of your own embouchre (the aperture size).
    So if you have a big aperture and a free blowing cornet you probably don't want a mouthpiece with a backbore like a drainpipe.

Rim size is more about comfort and making sure that the weight is supported off the red and more onto where the muscle actually is. You also want something that doesnt clamp your lips down and reduce flexibility.

Its an entirely personal issue rather like getting shoes that are the right size.
  16. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Hi Lynda

I play on a Yamaha 16E. I find it very comfortable to play on. I have had no problems in the Upper or Lower register with it and IMHO I think it produces a lovely sound when used on a Yamaha Cornet.

1 thing to take in to consideration is the make of maouth piece in relation to the make of cornet. e.g. Besson - English made Instrument - best used with an english made MP, Yamaha - Japanese Made Instrument - Best used with a Japanese MP etc. DW mouthpieces do come in English Diameters and non English Diameters.

If that makes sense
  17. sop 1

sop 1 Member

iv just bought a sparx mouthpiece (4E for sop) and it plays like a dream! very comfortable in all registers!
  18. DanB

DanB Member

The people who developed the Sparx mouthpieces have now launched a range of cornet mouthpieces! They've developed specific models for soloist, front row player, back row player, sop and I think flugel too... The company is GR mouthpieces (based in the States) and their new cornet range is called UK Sterling and has been developed with Pete Collins, who is now importing them for the market here... If you're interested, visit www.pcbrass.co.uk/cornetmouthpieces.htm
    I'm a trombonist (ish!) so can't really comment other than to say I know Pete has players from all over Europe asking him for mouthpieces from GR, so they must be doing something right!!
  19. sop 1

sop 1 Member

they are very very good,been in touch with ted sparx a couple of times and he really seems to know wot hes doing!
    i ordered mine direct from ted and with postage from canada came to about £90.
    give them a try u wont be dissapointed
  20. GordonH

GordonH Member

Its not the diameter its the gap.
    Different instruments are designed for a different gap and the DW mouthpieces were made to match the Besson gap specification.
    Gap is actually adjustable anyway by resoldering the mouthpiece receiver in the correct position.