YAMAHA - Complete Cornet/Trumpet/Flugel Horn Model and Serial List

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AlfaFreak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

Hi People​

I've sourced info from many sources and am publishing this list.

COMPLETE Yamaha Trumpet, Cornet & Flugel Horn Model List

As I collect more info from my sources I'll update the list. It also needs a bit more cleaning up. If you feel it needs any other details included please suggest. At some point I wish to include which markets a particular model was/is available in, eg. the James Morrison model was unique to the Yamaha Australia market.

Yamaha - SERIAL NUMBER - Database

Yamaha - SERIAL NUMBER - Submission Form

Yamaha Brochures & Marketing Material

Yamaha - Trumpets - Japan (1968?)
    Yamaha - Trumpets - Japan (1969?)
    W-42L - Yamaha - Brass Instruments (1974)
    W-XX - Yamaha - Custom Band Instruments (c1970's?)
    YTR-739 - Downbeat Magazine 1977
    W-77 - Yamaha - Custom Trumpets (1982)
    W-96UR - Yamaha - Trumpets - United States (1985-6)
    W-120 - Yamaha - Trumpets - Australia (1987)
    YAM-K-75/89 - Yamaha - Trompeten - Germany (1989?)
    W-169U - Yamaha - Heavyweight Trumpets Mark II - Australia (c.1990?)
    W-190R3 -Yamaha - Trumpets - Australia (c1994-97)
    W-194R - Yamaha - Tubas & Euphoniums
    W-200RII - Yamaha - Wind Instruments - Australia (c1994-97)
    W-215 - Yamaha - Trumpets - Australia (c2004)
    BEM-604 - YTR-8340EM Eric Miyashiro - Japan (2004)
    BTA-502 - Yamaha - Trumpets - Japan (2005)
    BWIND316 - Yamaha USA - Advantage Range - USA (2005)
    W-215R5 - Yamaha - Trumpets (c2007)
    W-215R6 - Yamaha - Trumpets (c2010)
    W-215R8 - Yamaha - Trumpets (c.xxxx?) (France?)
    W-217 - Yamaha - Custom Euphonium YEP-842S
    W-223 - Yamaha - Saxophones
    W-225UR5 - Yamaha - Wind Instruments - United States (January 2006)
    W-225R9 - Yamaha - Wind Instruments (November 2007)
    W-225R10 - Yamaha - Wind Instruments - Australia (May 2008)
    W-XXX - Yamaha - Trumpets - Germany (January 2009)
    W-XXX - Yamaha - Allegro Range (c20xx)
    W-229 - Yamaha Clarinet YCL-CSG
    W-231 -Yamaha - Marching Brass
    W-232U - Yamaha - Trombones
    W-232R2 - Yamaha - Trombones
    W-233 - Yamaha - Trumpet YTR-8310Z (c2010)
    W-241R - Yamaha - Xeno Cornets
    W-244R - Yamaha - Xeno Artist Series Trumpets (c2010?)

WA-26 - Yamaha - Chromatic Tuners
    WA-28 - Yamaha - Mouthpieces
    WA-28R2 - Yamaha - Mouthpieces
    WA-28R3 - Yamaha - Mouthpieces
    WA-30 - Yamaha - ST5 - Digital Effect System (Silent Brass)

OM-83 - Yamaha - Signature Series Brass Mouthpieces
    OM-84 - Yamaha - Recorders

ACC-CAT - Yamaha - Accessories - Yamaha USA (2005)

Yamaha USA - NEW for 2003 YFH-631G/S replaces YFH-631 & 731
    Yamaha USA - NEW for 2004 Introduction of YTR-8310Z/S

I have started to create a draft timeline of the development and introduction of the Yamaha models. It has taken a while and a lot of Japanese translations to sort through the early models and how Yamaha evolved from the [r]Nikkan[/r] Wind Company. Sorting this information out means I can now move forward with just the Yamaha models. Note that most of the instruments build between 1967 and the opening of the Toyooka/Hamamatsu plant in 1970 are really hand built pre-production prototypes. Many variations between these YTR-634 models and the post-1970 production models can be observed. This will be updated and completed as time allows.
    Yamaha - Trumpet History Timeline 1963-1972

Cheers
    YamahaCollector
    yamahacollector@gmail.com

2. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

As part of my model list I'm maintaining, I'm now trying to sort out the correct models of 6335-8335 cornets and this is what I have come up with so far.

The first models are from 1985/87-1996, they pre-date the "Maestro" range, are characterized by having a brace on the tuning slide and were Yamaha's first model to return to the traditional style leadpipe bend at the valve block rather than the Schilke style drop. Available with both normal slides or double triggers (DT).

From the same period there seems to have been a Japanese "Imperial" market only model sold as the YCR-8335/S/SGP. These Japanese domestic market YCR-8335's were marketed under the "Custom" label rather than the Xeno name. They appear to be identical to the YCR-6335's of the same time period.

1987-1996 (International)
    YCR-6335
    YCR-6335S
    YCR-6335DT
    YCR-6335SDT
    1985-1993 ("Imperial" - Japanese Domestic Market)
    YCR-8335
    YCR-8335S
    YCR-8335S(GP)

(YCR-8335S(GP))
    [​IMG]

Next in the 6335 series are the "Maestro" range. Developed in collaboration with cornet virtuoso Philip McCann. The brace on the tuning slide was deleted and a more rounded leadpipe design was adopted. Only available with triggers. As far as I can work out the "Maestro" (denoted by the "UK" marketing label - although not stamped on the instrument) range was for Brass Band markets ie: Europe, UK, Australia whilst the exact same model without the "Maestro" markings were for other markets ie: US etc. The "Maestro" range has now been discontinued and replaced with the "Neo" range of brass band instruments although the Neo range does NOT yet include a cornet. The final piece of information required to complete this list is the various variations within the "Maestro" range. So far I have documented instruments with: 1. "Maestro" bell engraving but no mouthpiece receiver engraving. 2. "Maestro" mouthpiece receiver engraving with standard "Yamaha" bell engraving. 3. I'm sure I sure in shops when new models with "Maestro" receiver engraving and NO bell engraving. I need more samples to work this out.

Parallel to the Maestro range there seems to have been a Japanese "Imperial" or domestic market only release of Xeno cornets mirroring the Xeno I and II japanese only trumpet range. It would appear the Japanese market YCR-8335U/US are identical to the YCR-6335H Maestro range. They do not have the Maestro engraving. This is echoed in the trumpet range with the YTR-6335H being identical to the YTR-8335H (Pre-Xeno/Xeno I /Xeno II) models until the international release of the current Xeno model range. The brace style and position as well as the 1st valve trigger position seem to confirm this.

1997-2004
    YCR-6335H
    YCR-6335HS
    YCR-6335H(UK) Maestro
    YCR-6335HS(UK) Maestro
    1994-2004
    YCR-8335U (Xeno I or II)
    YCR-8335US (Xeno I or II)

(YCR-6335H(UK) - Note Bell to Receiver brace and offset 1st slide trigger)
    [​IMG]

Finally in 2005 the heavier Xeno cornet range was released in its current form. Developed in collaboration with David King, available with yellow brass or gold brass bell and silver plate or lacquer. The most obvious difference between the Xeno range and the Maestro range is the redesigned braces and 1st slide trigger position. Supplied with triggers as standard, a special order model is listed by Yamaha as the (RH - Ring Hook) supplied with a 3rd slide ring and 1st slide thumb saddle. The "RH" model is apparently available as a standard model on the Canadian market. The previous Japanese domestic market "Xeno" YCR-8335U/US models ceased to be sold and aligned with the new international Xeno range.

2005-Current
    YCR-8335
    YCR-8335S
    YCR-8335G
    YCR-8335GS
    YCR-8335/G/S/GS(RH)

(YCR-8335G, note the redesigned bell to receiver brace)
    [​IMG]

A further 2 "Custom" series cornets have now been produced by Yamaha in addition to the Proffessional / Maestro / Xeno range.

The most well known Custom model Cornet is the current C cornet 9435 developed with collaboration from Bob Malone & John Hagstrom.

2008-Current
    YCR-9435

Less well known is the Custom Bb Cornet built in 1990 for Japanese trumpet artist Terumasa Hino. Rumor suggests that only 23 were made with serial numbers from 201001-201023. This cornet is near identical to a Bach 184 cornet. Available only with Gold Plate finish.

1990-1990
    YCR-9335H

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are there Maestro owners out there that can share pictures or descriptions to confirm model stampings etc? I can recall seeing some Maestro cornets with Maestro engraving on the bell, others without bell markings but Maestro engraving on the mouthpiece receiver. What are peoples experiences here?

Does anyone have experience with the earlier 6335 models?

Any experience with the Japanese models?

Cheers
    YamahaCollector

I can be emailed at yamahacollector@gmail.com

3. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

Further to the "Professional" range of cornets being researched in the post above, I am also looking at the lower or "Student" range of cornets. The 1st model I'm looking at is the YCR-231, it appears to be required to be split into 2 distinct model variations.

YCR-231 (Early)
    YCR-231 (Late)

It appears the Yamaha Cornet YCR-231 was first seen as the "Nikkan" Yamaha O.E.M. CR-231 in approximately 1968. It can be seen in the 1968 Yamaha catalog listed as a Nikkan model only. It assumed that this model was then introduced into the Yamaha range of instruments sometime in late 1968 or early 1969. The stylized Yamaha and model number stamp reflect the same fonts used on the documented Yamaha Trumpets of the same time period. The defining feature of these "early" model YCR-231's is the traditional style cornet leadpipe that makes 3 complete 180 degree bends prior to entering the 3rd valve casing. In addition to the stylized model number and the traditional stlye leadpipe, the serial number was stamped on the reverse side of the valve casing.

(Early style YCR-231: Note the entrance point of the leadpipe into the 3rd valve casing)
    [​IMG]

(Early style YCR-231 model number stamp - note the font sytle)
    [​IMG]

(Early style YCR-231 serial number stamp)
    [​IMG]

The model now classified as the "late model" replaced the early model sometime in late 1969 or 1970 and can be seen in the 1970 catalog. The main difference is the change of the leadpipe from the traditional style to a Schilke style where the pipe drops at 90 degrees prior to entering the 3rd valve casing. At the same time the model and serial number where moved to their current position and changed to the current single thickness font. It seems from the serial number info i have collected so far that this change occured sometime between serial 002196 and 023704.

(Late style YCR-231: Note the "Schilke" style leadpipe to 3rd valve connection)
    [​IMG]

(Late style YCR-231 model & serial number together, simpler font used)
    [​IMG]

The model list has been updated to reflect this with photos etc.

The only remaining thing to be clarrified is the relationship between the Nikkan OEM models and the Yamaha equivilent. In the catalog's I have, the Nikkan models are generally listed without the "Y" in the model number ie:CR-231 yet when viewed on the actual instrument they read "NIKKAN, YCR-231, Japan". So it is unclear as to where the model numbers cross over with what is promoted by the marketing department and what is actually stamped on them.

Cheers until the next update

4. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

At this point, this post is only dealing with the Yamaha Piccolo Trumpet range, ie: those in the Bb/A or high C keys. I will deal with the soprano range keys of D, Eb/D, Eb, E, F/G later.

The first Piccolo trumpets in the Yamaha range were introduced in 1970.

1970-1975

Custom Range

The first series of “Custom” range trumpets were released in 1970, the same year as the Toyooka plant opened and full Yamaha wind production started on a large scale. The model range included at least one model of trumpet in every key. Focusing on the Piccolo Trumpet range here, it would seem that there were 4 models within the 1970-1975 range. Note that this initial range of Custom trumpets does NOT fit into the usual Yamaha system of model numbers where the 1st number indicates the “Custom” range, the 2nd number key, the 3rd bore etc. One difficulty found with in this range is that it appears Yamaha did NOT stamp the model number onto these instruments, only their serial number. There are also discrepancies as to when Yamaha stamped the “Custom” logo onto the leadpipe or other locations. It would seem that the range was supplied in silver plate as standard, although a later “Custom” catalogue suggests that lacquer is available upon “special request”. With regard to the serial numbers, it seems these early model piccolos use their own series of 4 digit numbers. In this 1st generation of piccolos the bore size was unified as a medium bore of 11.30mm or 0.445”. They all use the same “YK” Yamaha piccolo bell profile.

YTR-915 (Bb) 4 valves, Selmer Style, Straight 1st valve slide W-XX
    YTR-916 (Bb) 3 valves?, Maybe only rotary bass trumpet
    YTR-917 (Bb) 4 valves, straight bell
    YTR-918 (C) 4 valves, Straight Long, Curved Leadpipe, "Tarr" Model,
    W-XX

The first model, the YTR-915 is a 4 valve short model, styled after the Selmer short model piccolo trumpets. The 915 is characterised by its 1st valve slide being straight or parallel to the leadpipe. Similarly, the 4th valve slide is located on the left hand side of the instrument, differentiating it from the current “Professional” range model YTR-6810/S. This piccolo is reference in the catalogue marked as W-XX “Yamaha Custom Band Instruments” dating from the early 1970’s at in my initial post in this thread. The YTR-915 was replaced by the YTR-981 in 1975 when Yamaha’s 2nd generation of “Custom” trumpets were introduced.

(YTR-915)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second model, the YTR-916 is a bit of a mystery. No reference to this instrument has been found other than on the initial Japanese model list that my current up to date list is based on. No reference has been found in any catalogues, eBay or 2nd hand sales. There does exist a YTR-916 which is a “Custom” rotary valve Bb Bass Trumpet of which only 4 or 5 were ever made. Could or would Yamaha use the same model number twice? My guess would be that this model is the precursor to the YTR-982/9820/9820C/9825 series of piccolos but I still need evidence of that.

(YTR-916)
    ?

The 3rd piccolo model of this range is the YTR-917. Again, the YTR-917 is currently a bit of a mystery. Like the YTR-916, no reference to this instrument has been found other than on the initial Japanese model list that my current up to date list is based on. No reference has been found in any catalogues, eBay or 2nd hand sales. The original Japanese list states that this model had 4 valves and was a “straight” model. It is my presumption that this trumpet is the Bb/A version of the YTR-918 model pitched in C. Later ranges seem to echo this combination of models.

(YTR-917)
    ?

The 4th and final Piccolo trumpet in the 1970-75 range is the YTR-918. Pitched in C only, this model is referenced in the catalogue marked as W-XX “Yamaha Custom Band Instruments” dating from the early 1970’s at in my initial post in this thread. This instrument can be identified by its “long” or “herald” style bell which exits from the 4th valve and its curved leadpipe which enters the instrument at the 1st valve. The leadpipe provides a clue to differentiating this model from the Bb/A models as it is significantly shorter than those. It is also thought that this model may have become known as the “Tarr” model after its use by Edward Tarr.

(YTR-918)

5. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

1975-1981

Custom Range

The second generation of Yamaha Piccolo Trumpets were released in 1975. At this point Yamaha renamed the models to align with their consistent model numbering system. The 9 indicates a model within the “Custom” range, the second number the key or pitch with 8 being high Bb/A and 9 being high C. The third number indicates the model or design within that model/key family. As with the 1st generation range it is unclear as to where and when the “Custom” logo was used and also as to whether a model number was ever stamped upon the instruments. These instruments are so uncommon that collecting enough samples to compile data on them is proving very slow and difficult. As with the 1st generation of piccolos, it would seem that the range was supplied in silver plate as standard, although a later “Custom” catalogue suggests that lacquer was available upon “special request”. These models seem to use a 5 digit serial number and also have a stamp to indicate the pitch and bore size.

YTR-981 (Bb/A) 4 valves, Extra Pipe included, Selmer Style, Angled 1st slide
    YTR-982 (Bb/A) 4 valves, Extra Pipe included
    YTR-983 (Bb/A) 4 valves, Long model, Straight Long, Curved Leadpipe,
    YTR-991 (C) 4 valves, Long model, Straight Long, Curved Leadpipe,

In the 2nd generation range of piccolos the YTR-981 replaced the YTR-915. Very similar in appearance, in the “Selmer” style, the YTR-981 differed in its 1st valve slide. The 1st valve slide was no longer parallel to the instrument but rather stuck out at an angle. It would seem that Yamaha changed the bore size of this model down from the medium bore of the YTR-915 down to a small bore of 10.50mm or 0.413”. In all other areas these models appear to be similar.

(YTR-981)
    [​IMG]

The second model within the 2nd generation range is the YTR-982, replacing the YTR-916. The one example of this model found so far has the 3rd valve slide inverted with the slide ring on the bottom, but this can not be confirmed as standard yet. I’m not sure as to whether this model was a parallel to a model in the contemporary Schilke piccolo model range. The YTR-982 remained as a M 11.30mm (0.445”) bore and continued to use the same “YK” bell profile.

(YTR-982)
    [​IMG]

The third model in this range is the YTR-983, replacing the YTR-917. Again, pitched in Bb/A, it seems all other details stayed the same. Medium bore of 11.30mm (0.455”) and YK bell profile.

(YTR-983)
    [​IMG]

The last model in this generation of piccolos is the YTR-991, replacing the YTR-918. Like some of the earlier models, very little information about this model can be found. No examples or catalogue references have been found yet. It is assumed that all details remain the same as the previous model.

(YTR-991)
    ?

6. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

1981-2009

Custom Range

The 3rd generation of Yamaha Custom trumpets was introduced in 1981. They brought with them Yamahas new 4 digit model number system, preceding the rest of the ranges 1982 introduction. Serial numbers seem to change to a 6 digit version at this point. The full “Custom” range of trumpets can be seen in the catalogue W-77 “Yamaha – Custom Trumpets” in my initial post. This catalogue indicates the range was supplied in silver plate as standard, although lacquer was available upon “special request”. Japanese translations would suggest at this point the construction of the valve block changed as well as the bell construction method. From this point all piccolo models use a modified version of the piccolo bell profile referred to as “YK’.”

YTR-9810 (Bb/A) 4 valves, W-77 (1982), Selmer style (until 1992)
    YTR-9820 (Bb/A) 3 valves (until 1994) replaced by YTR-9820C
    YTR-9820C(Bb/A) 3 valves (1994-2009) 4th rotary valve
    YTR-9830 (Bb/A) 4 valves, Schilke P5.4 style (3 versions)
    YTR-9910 (C/Bb/A) 4 Valves, straight long model (1982 only)

The first model of the 3rd generation custom piccolos is the YTR-9810, replacing the YTR-981. Other than the upgrades listed above, all other specifications remain the same. The 1st valve slide remained pointing out at an angle. A lesser quality version of this model was released 1 year later in 1982 as the “Professional” range YTR-6810/S in both lacquer and silver plate. Whilst the YTR-6810 continues to be produced the Custom YTR-9810 ceased production in 1992.

(YTR-9810)
    image to come

The second, 3rd generation model is the YTR-9820, replacing the YTR-982. By all accounts the specifications remained unchanged, other than those listed above. Records are unclear as to whether this model continued to be produced until 1994 and then was replaced by the YTR-9820C or whether both models were produced simultaneously. It is my personal assumption that the YTR-9820 was produced until 1994 when replaced by the similar YTR-9820C.

(YTR-9820)
    image to come

In 1994 the YTR-9820 was replaced by the YTR-9820C. The original was a 3 piston valve model, whilst its replacement remained the same with 3 piston valves but the inclusion of a second 3rd valve slide with a rotary valve with an additional slide. Bore and bell appear to remain unchanged from the YTR-9820.

(YTR-9820C)
    [​IMG]

The third model in the 3rd generation range, was a completely new design. The YTR-9830 replaced the YTR-983 and took on a design mirroring the Schilke P5.4., breaking away from the earlier “long” or “herald” design. The bore remained as a medium bore at 11.30mm (0.445”) and the bell was the newly modified YK’ profile. During the life span of this YTR-9830 model, it appears there have been at least 3 variations of it, all identified by the position or lack of the “Yamaha” and “Custom” logo stamps. I will try and identify these and relevant dates/serials as I gather more data.

(YTR-9830)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last model in the 3rd generation of “Custom” model piccolos is the YTR-9910. The YTR-9910 replaced the YTR-991 but was the final flowering of the piccolos pitched in high C for Yamaha. It was produced in limited numbers for one year only in 1982. The YTR-9910 was different from its earlier models in that the leadpipe was straight and featured a tuning leadpipe, rather than dropping down in a curve. It also differed in that it was supplied with bell adaptors to allow it to play in the keys of C. Bb and A, unlike the earlier one which were only pitched in C.

(YTR-9910)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

Professional Range

1982-current

YTR-6610 (Bb/A) 4 valves, Selmer style
    YTR-6610S (Bb/A)

Introduced in 1982, the YTR-6810 was a lower cost alternative to the YTR-9810. A Selmer style small bore piccolo available in lacquer or silver plate. The lower cost, overall playability and popularity most likely lead to the demise and discontinuation of the similar but more expensive YTR-9810. This model differs from its more expensive “Custom” cousins in that the 4th valve slide is located on the right hand side of the instrument and the 3rd is located on the left.

(YTR-6810S)
    [​IMG]

2009-current

Custom Range

The 4th generation of Yamaha Custom Piccolo trumpets were introduced in 2009. Developed and refined by brass technician Bob Malone and in collaboration with other major trumpet players around the world. The range features a new valve casing design mirroring those of the Xeno range. The bells appear to remain the same with the 4” YK’ bell profile of the previous generation.

YTR-9825 (Bb/A) Same as YTR-9820C with Bob Malone mods
    YTR-9835 (Bb/A) Replaces YTR-9830 with Bob Malone mods
    YTR-988 (Bb/A) 4 Valve rotary, Scherzer style

The YTR-9825 is a development of the YTR-9820/C range with 3 piston valves and a 4th rotary valve attached to the 3rd valve slide. It has a completely new design leadpipe and leadpipe assembly, make only a 90 degree curve and drop rather than the earlier full 180 degree bend. Developed in conjunction with John Hagstrom of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra

(YTR-9825)
    [​IMG]

The YTR-9835 replaces the YTR-9830. It is still similar to the Schilke P5.4 but has an entirely new leadpipe design. Supplied with leadpipes for both trumpet and cornet shanks. It also features a ring for adjusting the 3rd valve slide. Developed in conjunction with David Washburn of the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.

(YTR-9835)
    [​IMG]

The YTR-988 is an entirely new model. The YTR-988 is Yamaha’s first complete rotary valve piccolo trumpet. Developed with Yamaha trumpet artists Jens Lindemann and Chris Martin. Lightweight with a yellow brass bell, it also has a small bore of 10.38mm or 0.409”. It also uses a slightly small bell diameter of 97.9mm or 3 15/16”

(YTR-988)
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants to supply me with photos of their Yamaha Piccolo trumpet, including model numbers, serial number and location stamped, and any other significant stamps or engravings as well as an overall left and right hand shot, I can be reached either via PM or at

yamahacollector@gmail.com

All help in collecting more data is greatly appreciated.

8. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If it's of any interest or relevance there are a couple of Videos on Youtube of Reinhold Friedrich playing the Brandenburg on what I believe to be a 9910.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXaJKdr7yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsNzCx1ots

I only mention it because of the relative rarity of the 9910 'C' picc. (or any other 'C' picc., for that matter ... )