Yahama Euph versus Besson Euph

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by martin.p, Oct 30, 2003.

1. martin.p

martin.p New Member

It would be interesting to hear Your opinions on the subject

Yamaha versus Besson when it comes to Euphs.

I have have heard many good thing about the besson horn but prefer to play Yamaha 642. The reason is quite simple. It is much easier for me to play and the respons in the low register is outstanding.
    What is your opinion?
  2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Give me the Maestro anyday.
  3. HunkySteve

HunkySteve Member

Not quite the question I know - but related. I had heard great things about the Prestige Euph, so ordered one without playing it. Fortunately, since my Pals at Fred Rhodes were getting it for me, they also persuaded me to try the latest Courtois with main tuning slide.

I had to agree with Glynn Williams, after playing both side by side, the Courtois (for me) is a better instrument. And a grand cheaper! So I got that (my THIRD Courtois). Like cars though I suspect one man's meat is another man's poison.

I regret not having tried a Yamaha, its one of life's outstanding questions.

Maybe next time!

4. weuphl

weuphl Member

Question that interests me also! Colleague plays Prestige and I had courted with idea of getting Courtois but wife has Maestro cornet and raves about it compared to sovereign. Trying to match my colleagues main-slide trigger with 4th or lip is getting very tiring. Does the Maestro have the same tuning problems above F etc? :?:
  5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Being a tuba player first, and everything else second, I always prefer bigger instruments. I play bass trom over tenor, large bore trumpets, and when I play eupho, I prefer something where I am not forced to hold back air. For me the Sovereign does that, all the standard Yamahas were too small. I did once compare a Sovereign EEb to a Maestro, and they were practically identical, so I dunno about the Maestro Euph.
  6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I have never had any tuning problems at all with my Yamaha. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  7. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i got a Besson because the valves were a lot smaller and i only have little fingers. Also, my sound was more rich on a Bseeon than that of a Yamaha...
  8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Despite owning a Besson Soverieign Euph, I've tried a Maestro before. I must say they're very nice to play but ultimately lack the greater quality of tone, not that you can't achieve a decent tone at all!

I like my Besson though, 'nuff said.
  9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Have you read the article on the comparison between Euph's on 4barsrest???

They say the Besson is better, and I agree. I just didn't like the Yamaha fairs fair. Everone is different though,but I just preferred the Besson because I like the sound and how it plays.
  10. HunkySteve

HunkySteve Member

I saw that article too.

It would carry an awful lot more clout IMHO if whoever wrote it put his name to it.

Otherwise, old hands like me read it as a Besson Ad by someone with an axe to grind.

Stand up and be counted, I say! Then we can see who is paying the piper, if you get moi drift...

Alex. Dont bite.

11. Moy

Moy Active Member

Don't know about the euph but I much prefer the Maestro horn to the Besson Sov.
    Tried a few sovereigns .....didn't like the new one at all......liked the old B&H sovereign but didn't want to get a 2nd hand one.
    When the Prestige comes out...possibly next year will give it a go.
    Maestro excellent value.
  12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Don't worry Steve. Like I said everyone has their own choice of instrument, no two players are alike.

I know that the test report is written by an anonymous person, but they have given a balanced and considered view.
    The thing is with the review it is one man's (or woman's) opinion. They should have at least three people reviewing it to get a balanced and rounded review from three opinions. As I said everyone is different.

The review provides at least a view of what each instruments strength's and faults are. If a purchaser is interested in both, then they should try both before buying. Just like you did Steve with the Courtouis (sorry if I spelt it wrong) and Besson Prestige.
  13. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

i playted a Yammy euph once in a show with the 4th valve on my little finger. eg the valves went 1-2-3-4 on the same hand.

Unless you are cack-handed it was a bit useless and very uncomfortable.

But i presume they have changed that now
  14. Stewart

Stewart Member

Ahh, sounds like the old YEP-321, I used to have one of those about 12 years ago ( :shock: ) it wasn't a nice thing at all, thankfully Yamaha have moved on rather a lot since those days. Not played one of the new Yamaha euphs (always played a Sovereign since thatYamaha euph) but I've heard good things about them. Friend of mine has a Courtois, she's had nothing but trouble with it, she's trying to get rid to buy a Besson.
  15. HunkySteve

HunkySteve Member

The guys at Fred Rhodes (Courtois importers) are trying really hard to keep their customers happy.

If your mate, or any other person with a Courtois that isnt up to scratch, at least give them a chance to rectify it. This is exactly what they told me when they sorted out a Courtois Euph I was unhappy with.

Jonny Webster or Glynn Williams at Fred Rhodes are two of the nicest guys in Brass retail, and they will try to make you happy. Tell them Steve Larwood sent you. Their no is 0161 620 5899. They even got me a brand new Prestige at my request - which I played - when I was going to change my Courtois and convinced me that the Courtois was a better buy for me. by letting me play both as long as I wanted.

And dont tell me that other manufacturers dont have their problems, I know of big ticket items sent out with cerificates saying they have been inspected and played by a big-hitter, when in fact the thing is unplayable. I myself have had brand new Euph from them ("other manufacturer") when it had to go back within 12 months to have the plating fixed - it discoloured.

I have no connection with Courtois or Fred Rhodes, other than the guys I have told you about above, have convinced me of their genuine desire to support a good brand. Give them a chance to prove it and if Im wrong, first tell them then come back and tell us here.

Jonny's words to me were "if you don't tell us, we don't know and can't do anything about it".

16. Stewart

Stewart Member

No, don't get me wrong, I can't fault the support at Fred Rhodes, they even stripped and replated an instrument for the friend in question when she said she wanted a plain silver plate instrument. They've always been very helpful when she's told them about problems with the euph.

Basically it's just had to go back too many times and she still has probelms with the valves and particularly the trigger. It's got a great tone when it works, it's just been trouble with the mechanical parts that have caused her to want to go back to a Besson :(
  17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Yamaha Vs Besson

Yamaha lent me the new Custom model for the French Nationals this year and it beat the prestige hands down in my opinion. The Maestros were always better than the sovereign but the prestige took it that bit further. The new Yamaha Custom is a great instrument!!! Superbly easy blowing,great response and a wonderful sound. Did brilliante on it and the valves seem to move on their own (which is fortunate). It has the little gold bits like the prestige for everyone who wants to look pretty when playing but it is very heavy! It doesnt have a trigger but the tuning was damn good (even with a youth band which has courtois,besson,jupiter & conn instruments scattered around it). It's pricey but definately give it a blow before buying a new euph, it is tops in my book.
  18. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I personally perfer the yamaha meastro. It's a heavier euph, but has a much richer tone and the valve action is alot smoother that the soverign for my style of playing, but not everyone is the same.

On the subject of prestige or curtois. I'm say curtois hands down. the prestige are good sound euphs but besson are churning them out as quick as they can to meet orders at the momnet and the instruments aren't of the standard they should be. The only thing I can complian about is the laquer on the curtois tarnishes very quickly. But Glyn at Fred Rhodes was very helpful in sorting this prooblem out.
  19. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Having played (though not to any extent) a prestige euph and the new yamaha euph, i prefer the besson every time. the reason being the fact i can get a better sound on the besson (using same mouthpiece on both). also, strangely i found the yamaha played like a baritone (sounds silly i know). but then again everyone has their opinion.
  20. jamie the euph

jamie the euph New Member

yam euph against besson euph

i hav a besson prestige euphonium and hav played on a yamah custom and bessons are a much better instrument in my opinion!yamahas are bullky,bigger distance for the vaves 2 travel,valves not as smooth and i feel it lacks in style overall 2 the besson!i cant think of one aspect wer the yamah is better!but thats my opinion!lol