YABB members past/present sign here

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Syrup, Oct 13, 2004.

?

Have you played with YABB?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2004.
  1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Heard of them but never played

8.3%
  4. Never heard of them

8.3%
  1. Syrup

Syrup Member

Having seen the NYBBGB thread, thought I would do this one just to see how many people have toured with YABB(GB) over the years. It would be good to learn how many trips/tours you have done, where they were to, what you played, and what your favourite memories of YABB are.

Personally I did around 20 trips between late-80's to late-90's, including 3 tours or America/Canada, 10 consecutive Easter trips (to Belgium/Germany/Lux.), plus a few other European weekend trips.

One of my favourite memories is Frank conducting Serenade!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBBGB
    YABB
    GB
    Easter
    Lux
  3. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Think I did 6 trips in the early to mid 90's. Only ever the european trips - I couldn't have coped with the America trips.

Memories that spring to mind:

Deano being billeted with the owner of the local bar in Luxemberg and serving behind the bar - "one for you, one for me"

Buying 24 cans of Stella on the ferry at 06:00 and drinking them all with two others before the ferry had docked.

Playing Roman Carnival as well as I've ever heard it played

Frank conducting.....

4. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

Frank conducting........

I recall a couple of Easters ago playing something from Lion King (I think! It's all a bit hazy!).... interesting stuff!!!

Here's to Beer o'clock!

Rach

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  5. NAS

NAS Member

I've done 5 or 6 (mabye more, I dunno) including two trips to the states with them. I think it has to be the best band tour around, mainly because you get to drink, play concerts, drink, meet and stay with nice people, drink, sunbathe and drink:) .

6. Claire

Claire Member

Done 4 I think. 2 Easter trips, 1 America trip and 1 Luxemburg trip. I remember the Lion King piece Rach! Circle of Life.

Best moment, Frank conducting Gaelforce and finishing two bars after the band.

7. livyarker

livyarker Member

Apart from the Yabb new year concerts i have been roped into doing over the years i have just done the last drip to usa and canada. i would agree its one of the best tours around...........beer.....more beer........random playing .....beer and attempting to play trio con brio he he!!!! great to meet so many nice people and see 2 fantastic countries, even if you only get to see it through the coach windows,.

8. brass journo

brass journo Member

YABB - that great institution that for me, led to marriage!!

best moment - Frank telling the audience in Belgium that me and Cleggy were getting married and having kids - he knew more than us at that time! It was only the previous Easter that Cleggy had tried (and failed) to acost me over a sink in Luxembourg!! them's were the days - and now we have baby Oliver to prove Frank really is the best matchmaker in town - ain't love grand when it's in your hand as my Mum says to me!!

Tabbs;) :) :clap:

9. Syrup

Syrup Member

I'm glad you came along on YABB, cos up until then I was staying at hosts with him, and he was terrible for pinching the quilt in the middle of the night..........

Give him my regards.

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

bofferding :)

only did 2 or 3 tours, all in the last couple of years. Will hopefully do some more.

best memories...
    jay turning up on stage topless to play a solo not on the programme and greeted by a chorus of "who ate all the pies" which the luxembourg audience joined in with!
    the salamander!
    the amazing chunder-boy who managed to projectile vomit over 3 seats before we had even left frank's road! (and who was later set alight)
    teaching dutch people how to sing 'yogi bear' and 'my brother francisco'
    thanks for coming, you've been a right laugh.. now **** off!
    frank conducting...

11. brass journo

brass journo Member

but from what I hear you were always puffing up the pillows!!!!!!!!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBBGB
    YABB
    GB
    Easter
    Lux
  13. Lassonbass

Lassonbass New Member

Did more than I care to remember. 'Joined' in 1984, did last tour in around 1995 when I realsed that the 'Young' in YABB didn't really apply to me anymore.

Band line-up was incredible when I started. Very few people not in the top 10 bands. Standard was mind-boggling.

First piece of advice I was given was "Whatever you do, DON'T WATCH THE CONDUCTOR!"

Wish I'd remembered this in when I was playing Teddy Bear's Picnic in America. Half the band did the repeat / half the band didn't. We managed to get to the end by pure luck after giving the first ever aleatoric performance of a nursery rhyme!

For all you 'oldies' out there, all I can say is:

a) Name the following piece: Durgh OFF Durgh OFF Durgh OFF.

b) Who is famous for screaming out "F 2 3 4" to save the day on a spectacular performance?

c) What instrument was Kevin Crockford's favourite when we all swapped instruments for the world famous encores?

Was also in the original GOB (Girls of Brass).
    - Remember the Dobcross concert back in about 1986, full from front to back with 'curious' male banders!
    - Remember the tour with Richard Evans when he was bamboozled on the way home.......

Cheers!

14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Did 4 of the last 5 trips (didn't go to the US last summer). I can say that I know Luxembourg better than an normal person should (Actually, I kind of like the place in a strange way).

What a concept the Easter tour is.....

Let's meet at 7pm on Good Friday in Oxford and drink steadily until Tuesday morning. Oh yes, and there are some concerts in there somewhere.

Such memories though.....

Frank's conducting
    Deave being 'accosted' by the Mayor's daughter in Hoogestraten
    Frank's conducting, innit
    A certain pub in Echternach
    Big Jay's solo
    Frank's conducting
    Caiperinias
    The YH in Heligenroth with the Obersturmfurher in charge.
    3 nameless individuals (two female, one male), comparing nipple sizes

and many, many others.

Anyway, since I no longer qualify on the 'Young' side, I've done my last trip, but doubtless, I'll get a longing to stay up late and drink copious amounts of alcohol next Easter weekend.

Sam

15. Syrup

Syrup Member

...perhaps, but at least my head was always above the pillow........

16. Bones

Bones Member

Did my very first YABB this Easter to Luxembourg. At the merry age of 32, and with more grey hair than my mother, I can hardly be classed as Young, nevertheless the experience was worth it

Highlights for me in a very short 4 day trip, Phil Randall and Mike Wallbridge trying to dispose of Banana Munter (a rather portly Luxembourg resident) who had taken a shine to Phil.

Convincing one of the back row cornet players that Playstations (Nurofen) were the new designer drug. He will remain nameless but, his name rhymes with Bott Park and he plays for Kidlington :)

Playing the last repeat 4 times in Live and Let die, instead of 2 times, and Frank never batted an eyelid, God Bless. Dave Notley on the other hand, played it spot on.

Convincing our aspiring drug frenzied cornet player that you needed an "entrance" visa to get back into the UK, and forcing him to hide in the toilet on the bus just in case French Customs caught him. French customs in this case was depicted by Dave Dunn Birch (Driveshaft) with the most appalling French accent I have ever heard.

Caiperinha (ask Mark Handley

Lauradoll getting lost on one flight of steps during the great M&M battle.

And on the last day, finishing a bottle of vodka between 4 of us as a pre concert warm up. Classy.

I said at the time, it was one of the funniest and most enjoyable trips I've ever been on, with player for player a great band.

Far too old now.

Rich

17. deave

deave Member

easy m8 ;)

18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Hey Mr Walker, those stairs were very easy to get lost on? Up/ down/ who knows? I just to get away from Manuel!! What happened to the reception bell though? They can't just go down the shops and buy another one here now innit!!

Tim Smith- "Where's me bed?"

Mr Playstation- "There aint no spaceships higher than me right now"

Oh yeah. YABB. Bring it on!!

19. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I for one will be trying to recreate that YABB atmosphere in Prestatyn in 2 weeks time. Well, maybe the drinking side of it anyway.

20. bananamunter

bananamunter Account Suspended

ello

It is me your friend Bananamunter. I missing all of you YABB people especiall mr wallbanger. whwere is prestatyn. I will try to come too i knowing how much you liked me all at YABB with your happy waving signals and tastying cocktails

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004
  21. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

errrr...... what exactly is YABB??

22. The Horn

The Horn New Member

I do seem to remember several memerable trips in the company of my good friend Mr Syrup and others.

Too many memorable moments to mention (to protect the unnamed) - 1 Concert in a god fearing church in the USofA - The band finishes a piece on a wonderful YABB esq chord and Frank turns to the audience and says "That was **it wasn't it"

Wonderful use of the English language - God bless him.

3 USA trips and numerous European ventures.