XP User Accounts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Feb 24, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello people,

I need some help.... for the second time in as many weeks.... my brother (lovely chap!) has changed my xp user account to a 'limited account' .... I don't know how he managed it the second time because I was on adminstrator privelages and had every part of my account password protected with a 8 digit number as the password!

How can I change my account back to an adminstrator one? because his account is password protected and he's changed his password now (I guessed it first time last time!) Anyone got any ideas?

2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

do you have XP Home or XP Professional?
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

If he is an admin user then he can change other admin users to be limited. The only rule is there has to be at least one admin user on the PC - does that make sense?

As for changing it back, I think you will have to wait for him to log in and do it, because limited users can't change themselves to be administrators! Sorry! :(
  4. meandmycornet

ermmm I think XP Home.... although it could be XP Professional of course.... I don't have a clue! How do I find out? :tongue:
  5. meandmycornet

He won't change it back though :( he's a big meanie :(:(:(:(:(
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Is there another admin login on the PC - i.e. your Mum or somebody? If so, you could use that one instead. Is he a younger brother by any chance? ;)
  7. meandmycornet

No there isn't, and no he's a big brother.... and he likes to think he's boss.... I wouldn't mind.... but this isn't even his pc! :tongue: he's got his own his bedroom :(
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, that's just cheeky!! I would never dream of doing something like that to my little sister :tongue: He needs beating up!

Hmm, I don't really know what to suggest, other than when you get it back, remove his user from the PC so he can't do it again!! Or at least change his password! Good luck Fi!
  9. meandmycornet

Yes thats what I plan on doing.... he's in manchester at the moment.... so here starts a series of annoying text messages :tongue:
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Try rebooting into safe mode (hold down F8 while the machine is booting). Some flavors of XP come with a built-in "Administrator" account (no password) that shows only in Safe mode - intended to recover from catastrophic errors.
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Tell him that as 'his' computer is looking a bit grubby you intend to stick it in the shower for him! Unless, of course, he was to tell you the new password on your computer. Then you might be too busy to clean it for him. ;)
  12. meandmycornet

Oh My Goodness! Robert Schramm you deserve a medal! :D:D:D:D I am now officially your biggest fan! :D:D:D:D

oooh and Dave... thats a fab idea :D:D:D I might do it anyway :tongue:
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Disclaimer: no guarantee my solution will work! It depends on the exact version of XP the computer is running and whether or not your brother is smart enough to have disabled that account . . . It works on all three of my machines (all Dells).
  14. meandmycornet

it did work! :tongue: this is why i am your biggest fan ever :D
  15. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Alternatively, open up the pc case and find the processor fan (usually about 5cm square casing on the motherboard), trace the wire from that to the motherboard and unplug it then switch the pc on:evil: :evil:

Or, open up the case, get loads of small magnets and put at least one on every microchip you can see and then switch it on :evil: :evil:

Having said that, both of these 'solutions' tend to be quite permanent if you know what I mean!!

If you REALLY wanted to annoy him and you knew someone who could do it, you could change the location where his computer looks to try and find an operating system (windows). Do that successfully and he wouldn't be able to boot up his computer again!!:biggrin:

Or delete all boot log files

or delete c:

or delete the windows directory in his C: drive

or open the case and unplug purely random cables

or look on the back of his hard drive and either change the jumper setting or remove it completely.

or change all of the input languages for his machine to russian or turkish or something.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Puss:biggrin: :biggrin:
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

THat's evil!