Xmas Music love it or hate it

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Northants_tuba, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Its that oh so joyful time of year again and me being a Bass player have so interesting part in lovely lovely carols and you never play the same carols for every concert you do, do you and after 3 weeks of it they dont all sound the same rriiiiiiggghhtttt? well its the same every year and i know its only been a week but aggghhhhhh!! Who else needs christmas music free nights to relax from the monotany of it all. I like Christmas I just find Christmas concerts all a bit samey
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Christmas music is amazing!!!!!! It's the best cheese ever, really strong and mature :-D :-D

I love it :-D

Xmas concert on saturday is gonna be amazing! :-D I will be checking the batteries in my flashy hat way in advance.. can't have that messing up on stage. can we?? ;)
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thing is, as brass players, like it or lump it, it's an annual feature of our existence! I've literally taught myself to accpet or even like Christmas music because having played for 30 years, if I hated Christmas music, I'm sure I'd go utterly doo-lally (or more than I am now! :))

Still, easy to say that being a trumpeter and getting the tune if on the 'front line'! :)
  4. WIBBLE am i insane well 6 xmas concerts in a week for 4 different bands would prove so and i dare to moan about it in the first place
  5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Some of it I love (Frosty the Snowman for example) but some of it utter rubbish (not liking Troika this year!)
    Although I much prefer playing brass at Christmas, as you usually get more to do!

Although Christmas wouldn't be the same without A Christmas Festival by Leroy Anderson now would it?
  6. six pints

six pints Active Member

i didnt either (rep part is really boring, f crochets for about 5 years) so i stole the sleigh bells. their mine mwah hahahahaha!!!!
  7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Well give them back, it's the only time percussionists get to play with cool things like sleigh bells. It makes it feel like Christmas for us simple souls at the back.
  8. six pints

six pints Active Member

:( but i played them last year when i was a drummer :( they have a big gong and pretty windchimes to play with instead :( and a marimba :(
  9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

But there's nothing quite like sleigh bells though. A gong is hardly christmassy :p
  10. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

We recently just bought lil red books full of carols, and there r lots of lil jazzy songs which r really entertainin...
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Wow... I'm glad you like you like the pieces I'm conducting for this concert! :lol:

As for sleigh bells.... I'd be more than happy for someone else to play them in Troika.... :lol: The chances of my arm dropping off is pretty high risk...... *hint hint cough*

12. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Naomi - if you're suggesting that Tom should play the sleigh bells in Troika, then I would think again. He may cause untold chaos!! :lol:

Oh yes...a big :tup for Christmas Festival here too. Does anyone else sing the Silent Night section, or is that just Staffs?!

13. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Hate it.

Troika's the best piece we're playin this year, and Schnee-Walser (sp) is a laugh aswell. Apart from that it's very drab
  14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Love it :)
  15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

You can't really hate xmas music if your in a band can you?
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

try telling that to our flugel player... :shock:
  17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Wanna bet :shock::D;)

When I was in a band (playing and conducting) I absolutely hated Xmas concerts. Most of the arrangements were cheesy at best and quite horrid to play/conduct. Having said that - you play to your audience don't you. So whether YOU hate it or not doesn't come in to it when you are playing to a paying - or even non-paying - audience.
  18. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

True!But I like most of the tunes we play I cant play them but I like them.
  19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Things I like in terms of Christmas Banding

The Candlelight Carol by John Rutter. Happy to play this every year.
    Playing with a group of skilled players who listen to their colleagues, and who don't play the pick up in "In the Bleak Midwinter" in the wrong place. (Quite a good session was had this morning followed by a fry up nearby)
    Playing with a different combination of players and finding that your second cornet player (known to be rock solid) has a lovely tone not usually highlighted playing on the back row. (Well done, Hazel!)

Things I don't like in terms of Christmas Banding

Dodgy arrangements (Three King Swing for a start. If Himes hadn't arranged Amazing Grace so brilliantly, I'd be sending the boys round to have a word. Not just metaphorically, either....)
    The cold. (Kelly mouthpieces rock, btw!)
    The person who insists that we should play "number 'x'" from the carol book, when they couldn't play it last year and haven't played it since, get angsty when the veto is applied, convince everybody else in the group that we should play it.... and then mess it up again. (Hasn't happened so far this year...)
    With the two gigs today, and not enough time to go home in between, paying £15 in parking fees.
    Becontree being out on the same day as Fulham. (Difficult to get one Eb in two different places... (Sorted btw LBB in case you read this before we speak.)
    Let the Bright Seraphim being left in G Major.
    5 gigs in 5 days
  20. skweeky

skweeky Member

can i just say:.....SANTA-CLAUSTROPHOBIA!!