Xmas Madness

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alks, Oct 30, 2006.

1. alks

alks Member

Just reading an article on 4br about some xmas malarky...

Seams like crazyness to me.....why do the governemnt and local councilors insist on making life more miserable for people when we actually alect them to make life better??

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I have not read this act, nor do I wish to, but I would like to pose a question to the readership. Lets say a band has purchased a piece of music. What rights are they entitled to upon purchase of said music? Does it include a right to perform said work in a public place, or is it merely for your own enjoyment within the confines of the bandhall?
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Regardless of the "new law" it takes some stupid jobsworth to put this in place - why don't they apply a bit of common sense - surely when Parliament put together this law they never anticipated trying to get money off brass bands for playing secular tunes at Christmas.

"If that's the law then the law's an ass, sir" (copyright Charles Darwin;) )
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The 2003 Licensing Act was brought in mainly for the setting up 24 hour drinking etc and it consists of 201 headings one of which says

General duties of licensing authorities

(1) A licensing authority must carry out its functions under this Act ("licensing functions") with a view to promoting the licensing objectives.

(2) The licensing objectives are-
    • (a) the prevention of crime and disorder;
    • (b) public safety;
    • (c) the prevention of public nuisance; and
    • (d) the protection of children from harm.
    Well I suppose we'll all get done under clause (c) then "public nuisance"
  5. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

I agree. But 'stupid jobsworth' has actually sat and thought about it and no-one else is probably even bothered. How sad is that. Just makes me cross. :mad: The world has gone mad ..or maybe just Britain.
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

However the same jobsworth has clearly not read what Tessa Jowell - Secretary of State said earlier this year in an introduction to a Guide to the Act

"the encoragement of more family friendly premises where younger children can be free to go with the family;
    the further development within communities of our rich culture of live music, dancing and theatre, both in rural areas and in our towns and cities;"

or even better

"Permission to carry on some or all of these licensable activities will now be contained in a single licence – the premises licence, and the Act has accordingly swept away considerable red tape at a stroke." - don't you just love the spin?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Fran, from what you're quoting it seems that this act only applies to currently licensed premises or those wishing to seek a license. I don't see what relevance it has for a band wishing to play music in a public place.
  8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

To answer John's first question, you don't own any rights when you buy a piece of music, certainly not to perform it in public. Any performance in public is subject to a PRS return....more details can be obtained from their website http://www.prs.co.uk (which incidentally also leads you to the MCPS website - it's shared).

Secondly, to the best of my knowledge, public performance in non-licenced premises is technically illegal...
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Agreed - I've scanned through it and can see no reference whatsoever to outdoor performances - although at the time the Act was being discussed there was a lot of comment and speculation about what effect it would have on live performances - stuff about only two players allowed and churches being exempt etc - It appears as though this local authority have taken it to an nth degree of stupidity.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A thread was started about the 2003 Licensing Act a while back and can be found here. It was Howard Snell who brought this first to the attention of the banding fraternity. There are some handy links that cover the topic in some detail.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- most significant phrase for me is the ruling that
    - does banding cover traditional music making in the eyes of the local authorities?
  12. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I don't really understand it so maybe i should keep quiet.. but what harm is playing Jingle bells actually doing? :-?
  13. alks

alks Member

Exactly. Its not jingle bells thats harmful, its the twits in local authorities and government bodies that are the harm. Mainly i feel to justify their jobs.
  14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

According to the list of licensing authorities, this act doesn't cover Scotland. :clap:

(Now I'm off to see if I can find the relevant act for Scotland. Chances are that there is one, and it'll be even dafter...;) )
  15. postie

postie Member

It is always the same some loopy minded official finds a loophole in a law like this, and than start enforcing it total and complete madness!!!
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Have a read of what the Musician's Union have as advice for playing in public under the licensing act and what's required ... it's quite an eyeopener (see the music kit in particular).

especially ...
    (from the main document)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep - hence my reference to the PRS above ;)
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I thought I would cover it from another angle to put it beyond doubt ... that it's a case of who pays the royalties for whatever music is played, unless it's in the public domain.
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If I were a member of that band, I'd get someone to make a modern arrangement of Jingle Bells, call it something else, and play that piece instead. Then argue the toss with the nosey twit from the council who would have to come and police every performance to ensuer Jingle Bells wasn't played that the piece isn't Jingle Bells.

What a load of political nonsense gone mad eh!
  20. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

The world is going mad.

if they actually spent as much time on real crimes tackling the real problems with our society, as they do fathing around making life very difficult for the honest man, our country would be crime free! (well not quite but I hope you get the jist of what I mean!)

Fines of 6000 pounds for playing jingle bells?!:eek: truth be told, if I went and bagged an old lady, and stole her purse I'd probably get a slap on the wrist and told not to be naughty again. play a well loved song and i get hauled off, criminalised and made to give up a years wages?! (yes i'm poor!) its just so stupid!:mad:

There is a real imbalance of law in this country (or should I say 'that' country as I'm currently residing in France!)

I feel a brass band riot is in order to go and sort these jobsworths out!:biggrin:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006