Xeno Trumpets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SamHayday, Oct 3, 2007.

1. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Hi everyone !

Ok so basically I have a YTR 1335 trumpet which, let's face it, isn't the best in the world and so I want to upgrade.

Now, I've been looking around and I've found Xeno Trumpets (http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_xeno_trumpet.html) which look incredible. Also, I've played a Xeno Cornet before now and it was possibly the best instrument I have ever had the privelage to hold.

So, my question is are Xeno Trumpets really worth the £1500? I mean, considering I'm 14, I wouldn't really want to commit to buying a trumpet as expensive as this which isn't really worth it.

Any suggestions?

2. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Easy answer is yes!!

I have played a few Xeno's in the past, and they are very easy to play, so can highly recommend.

I have a Bach Strad, which, when you get a good one are much better thou, (personal opinion) they take a bit more playing, but that results in a much more mellow sound when playing solo's, if you just want the power and height, get the xeno. (strad is another £500 anyway) but for all aroound sound, get a strad.

I would really recommend actually trying some, go to a music shop and try before you buy. There is such a thing as a bad instrument.

Good luck
  3. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

K great thanks ... there aren't many good music shops in Essex though. I might have to go down to London :D .
  4. Kilted-Cornet

Kilted-Cornet New Member

i've got a xeno tumpet which i love, i went for the gold brass bell cos i liked the slightly darker sound. however, don't pay £1,500 for one. i got mine for under £1,000 by shopping around a bit.
  5. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Do you think so? I just cant get on with mine at all! It really kicks back at me. It's getting on my nerves so much I just endlessley winge about it in the vague hope i might get a new one!! ;)
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Try out as many trumpets as you can find (that fit in your price range) and then choose the one that works with you on the end.
    Definitely try the various kinds of Xeno available, but I would also look at Bach, B&S, Besson, Kanstul, Schilke - whatever else falls into your price range.
    There is no easy way to say whether the Xeno is right for you without hearing you play them. Likewise any other trumpet.
    If you are able to go to London (Phil Parkers) and spend a couple of hours there trying everythinig you can find, you will hopefully end up with a trumpet that works with you on the end.

I like the Xenos - very consistent and can easily be altered/improved using M/K leadpipes or tuning slides (contact Will Spencer if interested).