'Xeno' Sop?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Oct 7, 2005.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Following on (kind-of, but also O/T) from the recent "maestro" thread:

Anyone had a chance to try out the newly released Yamaha 'Xeno' soprano cornet yet?

Impressions?

Ta,

G.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha 'Xeno
    Ta
    G
    Xeno
    thread
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

That'll be a "no", then ?

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Try PMing all 8 of the tMp band sop players.....

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Can't say I have, Gareth, but I'd also be interested to hear from anyone that has.

6. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

Yes I'd love to know too.

I loved the Xeno trumpet, was a very nice instrument but have never rated Yamaha's on the whole (bang goes my endorsement deal he he)

Will be interesting to see if this is as good as Schilkie or Courtois?

7. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

The band I used to play in had a Yamaha Sop and it was fairly good and then i got a schilke.

I dont think I would go back

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Having spoken to a couple of US guys (Yamaha Artists), they seem quite impressed with the last couple of sops that they have been given to try by Yamaha. Whether these were Xeno models I don't know.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

10. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Alan Hobbins of YBS has the new xeno.

Me thinks he is the only person to have one but could be wrong

Simon Gresswell
    YBS

11. Syrup

Syrup Member

Pete Roberts played on a prototype towards the end of his time at YBS. I had the opportunity to have a go on it very briefly at the end of last year, and was able to compare it at that time to the Schilke that Pete played on before getting the prototype. The prototype was very good and in my opinion is the closest I have come to finding a proper rival for the Schilke. The Schilke still edged it for me though.

Alan plays on the next version of the prototype I believe, not sure how close it is to the real production model. I know that the new Xeno Bb cornet is raved about by those who have played one so far, and I think the Xeno sop will also be a major step forward. Whether it will take over from Schilke, time will tell.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha 'Xeno
    Ta
    G
    Xeno
    thread
  13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Have you tried a Blackburn?

I tried the Blackburn prototype a couple of years ago (it has since gone into proper production) and it stunend me - a soprano that sounded simply gorgeous and had fantastic intonation through the entire range - it made the Schilke look and sound like a toy

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I dug out the link again to the Blackburn site, and there's a picture of the sop. on the 'What's New?' pagelink on the left (click on 'Jack Daniels Band Loves The New Eb Cornet').

http://www.blackburntrumpets.com/home.html

15. gaz

gaz New Member

Try a courtois although horses for courses

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to learn whether he still plays it, or is back on Schilke. When I read the original marketing blurb for the 'Xeno' which said that David King had been involved in the developement, It occurred to me then that Pete Roberts may have had a hand in the developement of the sop, however, not seen any sign of him actively promoting it yet.

I don't consider myself in any way a marketing 'victim', and it would take a lot to make me switch from being something of a Schilke 'loyalist', however if Mr. Roberts decided to play a 'Xeno', I would probably at least try one ...

G.

17. gaz

gaz New Member

He plays the schilke at the moment as done since hes been at dyke

18. Syrup

Syrup Member

It was a Dave King/YBS project, so when Pete left to go to Dyke he handed it back. He played on it towards the end of his stay at YBS and will have been involved in the development.

I've actually heard DK playing the prototype and he sounds amazing, although I think thats more of a reflection of the player rather than the instrument.

19. Fendall

Fendall Member

I'm kind of hoping the Xeno is the Yamaha E flat trumpet bent into the 'acceptable shape'. After all, that's all the Shilke is, and is why the sound, tuning etc. is far superior to other "soprano cornets".

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not quite true. Although the Shilke sop has the same bell as the E3L trumpet, the leadpipe is actually that of the P5-4 picc. Also, although the bore size is nominally the same on both instruments the sop bore has some "expansion points" not present on the trumpet.

[Source: Jim Donaldson: "The Schilke Loyalist" website - http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Cornets.html ]

21. Fendall

Fendall Member

Yes, that website has some interesting insights into the development of the Shilke, including the threat that Boosey & Hawkes felt from the popularity of E flat trumpets. The point I was making is that the closer they make soprano cornets to E flat trumpets, the "better" they get from a soprano cornet player's (and band's) point of view, especially if you use a cornet mouthpiece.

22. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

How so? "better" in what respect? Not from a tonal blending point of view, that's for certain.

Surely what sop players should be demanding is an instrument that is designed on traditional cornet principles, and engineered with all the resources of modern technology allied with a commitment to traditional "British-Brass-Band" cornet timbre, that just happens to be pitched in Eb, but has all the response, intonation and tonal characteristics of the finest Bb Cornet. Not a *******ised Eb trumpet with a few modifications just to make it look like a cornet.