X & Y

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by timbloke, Jun 6, 2005.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Just bought the new Coldplay album, it was the first time i've been really excited about buying a new album since Faithless Outrospective. Not listened to it, but hope it lives up to the hype.

Any reviews welcome.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Tim

I must try to get hold of this and have a listen... I do like Coldplay's music.

Incidentally: the link images on your www site seem to be broken, and there seems to be an important one missing!!;) Have you added your site to the tMP Band Liks Directory ?
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Anyone hear them on Jonathan Ross on Friday night, complete with "crazy frog" quote :?: :!: :!:
  4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Im told its the best Coldplay album so far, my mate reckons every song is as good as Yellow and Trouble??

I'll buy it tomorrow...
  5. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

ooh, tell me if its good!! i've heard its fantastic, and NME and Kerrang! have given it rave reviews. unfortunately, having absolutely no money whatsoever, i havent yet had the chance to sample said album. roll on payday!
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I read the Q review whilst listening to the single. I got the feeling I was listening to something completely different to what the reviewer was listening to...

The review said it was a totally new and developed version of coldplay, that no longer relied entirely on Chris Martin's vocals, and took them in amazing new directions... basically the reviewer said that it was the greatest album ever, comparing it to Automatic for the People, etc...

But what I was hearing was the same old Coldplay. I was never a big fan of it anyway, but it really doesn't seem to have changed. It's still his slightly nagging vocals over a bit of easy listening as far as I can tell, and that's not great music to me.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
  7. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I agree (well you agreed with me on the other thread)

Trouble and Yellow are basically the same song, croaky vocals over some easy listening guitar that gets louder when the music is supposed to be more emotional.
    Not grounbreaking at all
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I will probably go out and buy the CD sometime this week. I'm sure its full of well crafted, well sung, thoughtful songs played to a high standard. I'm sure X & Y will spawn a good few singles, win various awards - including at least one Brit, and be praised highly (although the review I read on Sunday was very luke-warm), and I have no doubt that I'll think its as good, or better than A Rush of Blood to the Head.

What I'm not so sure about though is where this "Coldplay are groundbreaking" notion comes from. I recently heard Pete Waterman describe "clocks" as the most important single of the last 10 years. OK, so given his own musical output maybe he's not the best judge of that - Clocks is a great song - no doubt, but I think he was forgetting some pretty big singles to put it first.

As I see it Coldplay follow the path already trodden by Radiohead. They follow it very, very well, don't get me wrong on that - I think they are a class apart from 99% of the acts in the charts these days. But they are not groundbreaking or, dare I say, even that exciting.

If they were a car they would be a Mondeo - dependable, reliable, good at everything they do but somehow slightly too worthy and perfect to be anything more than solid.
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

i love coldplay... will make sure I get hold of this album... cant wait to hear it!
  10. Chris Sanders

Coldplay, Live-set, Radio 1, Now.
  11. Naomi McFadyen

WHOOO!! :biggrin: :clap:

12. Chris Sanders

Its quality aint it... But dont like the word changing though...
  13. Naomi McFadyen

pure quality mate!!
  14. timbloke

timbloke Member

I've now had the chance to listen a couple of times, and my comments are...

Not bad. It is a good album with good songs on it. Although not that different from their last two albums, it does have a slightly different, perhaps more grown-up feel to it. I like it, but don't think it is that groundbreaking.

Tonight I plan to go home and listen to the latest albums from Coldplay, Embrace and Idlewild on random play and see if anything stands out. All similar bands at about the same stage in their career (third/fourth mainstream albums) and all producing very good albums. X&Y definitely has some similar feel to it as Out of Nothing and I rated that as one of Embrace's best. But i have a feeling that the tracks that will stand out the most will be from Idlewild.

Worthy of the hype? Not really. a good album, but there have been other albums that fit into this "genre" this year, equally good, some better. Nethertheless, a good album.
  15. Trog's

Trog's Member

Coldplay on Zane Lowe last night - absolute mint!!!!!

I missed it last night due to band! But I'm listening to it for the third time on listen again!