X Factor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StellaJohnson, Dec 14, 2009.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

17million appparently watched the final of X factor. I wonder how many of the 17million will remember who won a year later? I have forgotten his name now. I think he will be a big flop and after his christmas number 1. Anyone any thoughts?
  2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

If Marx were with us now it would be reality TV , not religion that he would describe as "the opium of the people|"!

A plague on all their houses. I'll be buying Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the name..." and hoping that makes #1 , although apparently Cowell has stakes in that record company to ! :(
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

He's ideal record company material.

What he does is inoffensive, he looks good and.....perhaps most importantly of all....he's young enough to be to them what Charlie Bucket was to Willie Wonka - mouldable.
  4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

What's the X factor? I was watching the snooker final last night. Riveting stuff :)
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

17 million votes? It'll be interesting to see how that compares with the number of votes cast in the general election next year.
  6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

It's currently at number 2 in the iTunes download chart .... c'mon people!

Rage against the plastic pop!!! :)
  7. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I would rather poke my eyes out with rusty forks than watch Cowell's Cash Cow :mad:
  8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Never seen X Factor in my life.....except when I was channel flipping once and saw about 5 minutes worth.....
  10. Stickman 09

Stickman 09 Member

The most I have ever seen of it would be around 10 minutes at a time. In total, around 12 minutes of viewing!

I think its fair to say, I am not a fan yet!
  11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's only a cash cow as long as people want it....and some people obviously do....
  12. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Isn't it on the Epic (aquired by Sony BMG) label? ! If that's the case, doesn't Simon Cowell win both ways :frown: How about The Muppets' Bohemian Rhapsody instead?
  13. worzel

worzel Member

I think the winner this year has a lot of potential. As someone said, he's young enough, and looks good, but he also has an amazing voice.
  14. StellaJohnson

i don't think the standard this year has been anywhere as good as previous years, I personally think he will struggle and will be forgotten about in a few months. I have been watching x factor a lot this year, and I have even forgotten his name.

Simon Cowell will make alot of money getting x factor winners contracts, but I think they should leave it for a few years and allow grow new talent to develop. I think the best have auditioned already by now.
  15. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yeh, its more about the fact that its not the X-factor pap getting to number one which was more my point :)

Simon Cowell's bank balance will probably not be affected much either way tbh!!!
  16. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I can genuinely say that I haven't watched a single second of X-Factor this year, so when I heard the "winners song" on the radio the other morning I had no pre-conceved idea as to what the guy singing it was going to be like.

So - to me at least I thought he had an inoffensive voice, but unfortunately he's already destined to be fogotten in 6 months time. The song is a typical Cowell clone - slow-ish, big string accompaniment, gospal choir backing in the last verse - even some tubular bells just to ram that Christmas feeling home without being overtly Christmassy and damaging sales in the always deathly quiet January charts. I have to admire Simon Cowell for continuing to make money from regurgitating musical magnolia, but it really is utterly, utterly bland. I find a huge amount more to dislike in the Rage Against The Machine track - which is no bad thing - at least I have some sort of opinion of it.

As for his future success well, I can't even remeber his name so that doesn't bode well, and neither does the fact that Leona Lewis who seems to have the right talent, voice and attitude for longer term success is totally wasted too - her best song by miles so far has been a cover version...
  18. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Well I've been under the weather and "sofa-bound" since September and I have to say that I have looked forward to X factor every weekend! The winner this year (his name is Joe ;)) actually does have a very good singing voice and he makes a pretty good job of using it imvho. I think that if a career as a pop artist doesn't work out for him, he'll be snapped up by some musicals and will have a very long and successful career doing that.

I understand why some people are very "anti X Factor", however, a lot of these people don't really know how to improve/get themselves into a singing career without the jump start that's provided. Of course it's all a money making exercise, but most gigs are about that in the end anyway! One thing I do find sad is that a lot of people will think this is the only way to have a successful singing career, and will give up instead of persevering and building up their own fan base.

PS Day time TV sucks :frown:
  19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Well done 'Rage'!!
  20. StellaJohnson