Wynton Marsalis in Concert

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Jul 28, 2004.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Saw him with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra in the Bridgewater hall last night.

Not my normal cup of tea but was really impressed with the performance. I think he is at the Proms at the weekend so reccomend going to see him if possible or at least watching it on tv.

The Dixieland stuff was amazing and the Drummer was just simply from another planet!
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

what he said :) quality gig, cheers helen.
  3. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Does anyone know what channel & time he's on... don't want to miss it, he's a legend!
  4. CRat63

CRat63 Member

For the digital viewers amongst you.....

Saturday, BBC4, 10pm

5. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Thanks, it's in my diary!
  6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Not just Wynton Marsalis either - I was at the Bridgewater Hall as well, and the entire band are terrific! I would have liked to have heard Wynton play more, but he shared out the trumpet solos with the other trumpet players, all of them 1st class. The trombone section were so good that I can forgive them for not having a bass trombone! Who would have thought that pedal notes could sound so good on a medium-bore tenor trombone! The rest of the band - reeds, piano, string bass, kit drummer - were awesome! Go and hear them if you can!!!
  7. stopher

stopher Member

Certainly should be good this weekend, een if he repeats what he did last night.

I was really surprised by how laid back everyone was on stage - people talking, having a laugh. Just excellent and world class.

Highlights for me was Just a Closer Walk with a small trad jazz group and the piece the drummer wrote - never knew you could get so many sounds out of a kit. Was absolutley amazed and was practicaly sitting on the guy's knee, I was that close to the stage.

I wish I could make it to the proms concert to see it again.

Plus an extra highlight was going to Al Nawaz in Rusholme after and the manager performing card tricks (with a pack of cards, not my visa!) That guy was a complete nutter, making cards appear in wine glasses and stuff! Sorry to wander off topic like!
  8. davidsait

davidsait Member

They did a prom 2 years ago which I happened to catch on tv - it was awsome. So this year I'm going to make the effort and actually go to the prom - trying to get standing tickets for the arena.
  9. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I'll be there on Saturday at the prom concert sitting right behind the band in the choir stalls. Really looking forward to it as we saw them play a couple of years ago at the proms and at a dinner dance put on by the Barbican. I met Wynton after that gig and he is such a nice bloke and awesome trumpet and cornet player.

I hadn't realised the gig was going to be broadcast live on TV though. My wife will be pleased because she heroically elected to stay at home and look after the kids to let me go. Now she'll be able to watch it with me too.
  10. asteria

asteria Member

Wow what a night, the whole band was absolutely awesome! :D

Also made the evening when a couple of the band members turned up in a jazz club after and started playing a set!

I'm pondering whether I need to start practicing 7 hours a day or if I should just give up now!
  11. jambo

jambo Member

Yep, have to agree with everyone. An absoloutally amazing concert topped off with Eric 'I'm possed' Lewis on the old Joanna at the Jazz club after.

Great Night, and a pleasure to be seen out with the "Purdiest Gals in London" too..ha ha, you know who you are... :wink:
  12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Wynton Marsalis and the band are playing the Harrogate International Festival (at the Conference Centre) on Sunday 1st August. I'm not sure if there are tickets left but the Box Office is on 01423 537230.

While you're talking to them you could also book your tickets for the Harrogate Band's Festival concert, on Wednesday 4th August, featuring David Childs as guest soloist, and music by Vinter, Wilby, Heaton, Britten, Shostakovich and much much more...

Heard Wynton last year with the Lincoln Centre Band - fabulous playing from a top class group.

13. dave_cornet

dave_cornet New Member

Helen...you cant be that bad...lol...you do play for the BT band.
  14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'm going Sunday night to see him in Harrogate, Last year he played the whole concert, i know this is not usual, but I mean the WHOLE thing, played through the interval with just the rythmn section, abd then said to the audience he'd flown all that way and all we wanted was a cup of tea!!!
  15. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I was there. It was the only late night Prom I've ever been to which was a sellout. Quite often with the late nighters, there are almost as many people on the stage as there are in the audience.
  16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Hope the concert programme's been well publicised in advance; wouldn't want a repeat of the Brighouse debacle, would you ............?

17. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

This thread reminds me of having played with Wynton Marsalis in New Jersey concert with Montclair Citadel Band (Philip Smith, conductor) in 1990. The pieces he played with band accompaniment were:
    "Trumpet Voluntary" (Clarke), "So Glad" (Himes), "La Virgin de la Macarena" (Mendez), "Laura" (Hefti), "Deliverance" (Catelinet - duet with Phil Smith), "Bugler's Holiday" (Anderson - trio with Phil Smith and Ron Waiksnoris). Oh, and in "Light-Walk" (Gott) I yielded the flugel horn solo to Wynton also. 8) :wink:

He was a delight to work with in a prior weeknight rehearsal (very laid back and humorous), after which he joined a group of the lads in a game of basket ball in the gym.
  18. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

Do any recordings (official or otherwise) survive from that occasion?

Jules Cornet
  19. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'll PM you regarding that.
  20. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Hmmmm . . I was there too (standing in the Gallery at the top). From my vantage pont there was plenty of spare room . . . .

On that occaision the best section in the band were the rhythm (awesome). The troms and tpts were good too but we were dissapointed by the sax playing . .