WWII Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Apr 14, 2011.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

With this being the 60th anniversary of WWII, does anybody know of any major brass band pieces written about WWII?

49th parallel and Dambusters come to mind, but trying to find something with a little more flash.
  2. nethers

nethers Active Member

There's Blitz of course, Spitfire Prelude & Fugue is another good one...

At the cheesier end, The Great Escape, Midway, Saving Private Ryan, you could put together a whole season of concerts I reckon!
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Open the concert with Fanfare for the Common Man? there must be a brass band arrangement somewhere?
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I hope you haven't printed any posters !

It's the 66th Anniversary of the end of WW2

5. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

and the 70th anniversary of the start of the war so far as our American friends are concerned.
  6. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

'The Night to Sing' is about VE Day, although as said above it's the 66th anniversary of that......
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Keep Smiling through

Aces High :oops:

Miller Magic
  8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Also the 150th anniversary of the little spat you had with the lads south of the Mason-Dixon line !!
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Not sure if there is a BB arrangement, but how about "The Blues and the Greys*"

** or is that in Essex?
  10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Ho ho!

How about the theme music from The Great Escape (or, as they call it in Germany, The Great Recapture)?

But, yes, I know history isn't taught much in schools these days, but a quick look on the web would have established the dates of WWII.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

There is some great Civil War music ( am a bit of a civil war buff - made Leyfy sit through the Ken Burns documentary all day Sunday) - Theme from Gettysburg just one that springs to mind. How about combining the two Pat ?

( Obviously , if you did a concert purely to mark WWII you'd need a British band to start it , then you chaps could turn up for the start of the second half !!:) )
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

(pmsl at Elvis!)

some more for the list...
    Hymn to the Fallen
    Schindlers List
    Colonel Bogey
    Battle of Britain
    anything Miller

and I just realised you asked for major works, d'oh. Blitz has already been mentioned, there's also The Night to Sing
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  13. Bless ‘Em All
    Arr. Gavin Somerset

Keeping spirits high during World War II was essential, and music played a huge part. Darrol Barry’s excellent arrangement ‘Keep Smiling Through’ has been pleasing audiences for years and can probably be found in most brass bands libraries across the country. This new release of popular war time songs including ‘Wish Me Luck, As You Wave Me Goodbye’, ‘We’re Going To Hang Out The Washing’, ‘Kiss Me Goodnight Sgt. Major’, ‘Good Morning’, ‘Bless ‘Em All’ and the highlight of the piece, the slow, hair raising middle movement ‘Apple Blossom Time’, is being released to coincide with the 70th Anniversary of the Battle Of Britain. All of these songs were sung as the London population camped out in the underground stations. This arrangement will get the feet tapping as audiences sing along to the lively pieces and then sends shivers down their spines with the gorgeous ‘Apple Blossom Time’ featuring in the middle of the medley. Whether in a remembrance concert, a gala or a bandstand in the park, this is a piece not to be missed and should belong in every bands library.

Full score & parts: £22.95
    Direct Link - http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=131&tf=B8.rtf

For more details on these pieces and to see/hear these new releases as well as the rest of our catalogue, please visit our web-site at http://www.penninemusic.com where you can order online or e-mail to sales@penninemusic.com, or ring us on 0785 251 9763
  14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Dean Goffin's Rhapsody in Brass - I was told as a kid that he wrote most of it while he was a POW... if that is true, its an amazing (and fitting) story to go with a fab piece of music.
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

There's an arrangement of Ron Goodwin's "Where Eagles Dare" which I think may be by Darrol Barry.

Great piece. Good arrangement too.
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Sorry, my maths were off. As Mr. Sparke mentioned was thinking Pearl Harbor in particular which is actually 70-years. Good stuff so far, thanks! Thanks Phil, American Civil War might be another good idea too!
  17. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

There's quite a difference between music contemporary to WWII, and music written for war films. Quite a wealth of both, though.
  18. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Sort of true (although I'll defer to someone with more knowledge!!)

It was written during WW2 when Dean Goffin was stationed in North Africa and Crete etc. but not as a POW.

However it is still amazing given that it was written without the aid of a piano etc. and it's a fantastic piece of music with a definite link to the Second World War.
  19. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

In similar vein , and another large-scale work with definite WWII connections is Eric Ball's "Song of Courage".

Xmas 39 or 40 (I suspect it was the latter) , George VI gave a speech in which he said words to the effect of "in the coming year I can't wish you happiness or peace, but can wish you courage". I can't remenber who penned the words and composed the SA song , but Eric Ball composed this fantastic piece based on it.
  20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Back on the Civil War theme , Dan Price's "An American Tale" is a good one - most of the tunes therein are Northern ones though so depending on location of said concert might be an issue !!:)
    Erik Leidzen's "Post-Bellum Rhapsody" is a good programme ender , and in contrast Robert Getz's "Ante-Bellum Rhapsody" looks interesting ( I've not heard it but the programme notes are here:http://www.injofferings.com/Ante Bellum NOTES.htm)