Would You?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Apr 1, 2006.

Would you?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
  2. No

19 vote(s)
  1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... this is for players who travel considerable distances to rehearse with their bands. Would you play for a local band, regardless of section status, if a geographical restriction of, say, 15 miles radius was imposed on you? How much would the band world be shaken up by such a radical move? The most trickiest of problems are students ... what concessions would be put in place to accomodate them?
  2. i voted yes because my current situation is that i still aint taken my driving test, so getting to bands of any real distance is a slight problem, unless its a band within the train routes i suppose, which is what ive done since leaving hebden, been to eccles near manchester part time, and i went to lofthouse half way between leeds and wakefield today.

tough poll really, its all down to personal preferance and circumstance/situation.
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm the opposite. There are no other bands within 25 miles! And none of the further bands need a 1st Horn, so I stick on solo horn for the nearest band.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- interesting ... are there many players who actually play brass instruments in your locality and are there enough to form a band?
  5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It's my hobby and I don't want retrictions on who I play with. I don't enjoy being at Marsden just because they've had success but also because socially they are a great bunch. What other part time hobby does something like this exist? Even serious part time sports people don't get restrictions
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's just a hypothetical question relating to availability of players within their neighbourhood. If memory serves me correct, there used to be a restriction years ago limiting the signing of banders within a 25 mile radius. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I voted no because most of the bands i have played for i have always had to travel at least 25 miles to.
    I know it at the most will take about 40 mins to get to 30 mins on average so whats 25 miles and 30 mins got to do with it if you like the band the players and the set up plus the enjoyment you get from it:clap:
  8. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I only travel around 5 miles to both of my bands (depending where I'm living at the time!).

My house in Cornwall is close to a lot of bands - St Agnes, Newquay, Camborne, Pendennis, Redruth, Illogan, Caharrack and St Day, Lanner, St Stithians, Truro and Hayle are all within 15 miles! So I doubt a restriction would affect me that much here because there's so much choice!

It's a bit different when I'm at uni though. I think there's only a second section, fourth section, and a couple of non-contesting bands in the area.

As a student it is a bit annoying living so far away from my band (wherever I am at the time!) I won't really be playing with Lympstone much now until September (although I will be going back for the nationals!)...however, I won't be able to contest with St Agnes whilst I'm home either...I'd love to be able to contest with Lympstone during the term time, and St Agnes whilst I'm on holiday, but the rules won't let me! :(
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its an easy one for me as a 15 mile radius would allow me to play in a band from just about any section. Although most of the bands around here are 1st or 2nd section I could get over to GUS (I think) if I was good enough, and that radius also covers Ratby in the Championship section, Croft, Syston, and Leicestershire Co-op in the third section, although I am struggling to think of a 4th section band.

I guess this thread is really aimed at players who, unlike me, have talent, and travel a long way to play with the top bands. It will be interesting to see the replies none the less.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I would, I love playing - enjoy the Championship section FAR better, but if I had to play in the 2nd section just to play I would!
  11. GJacko

GJacko Member

I have played for bands with over 40 mile commute. However, this time I've voted 'yes' for the 15 mile restriction as I can play for a band from any section within 15 miles, and all my own band members are within 15 miles travelling distance.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My main idea behind this thread is that there are many players who share the same town or live close by. There might not even be a band in that town (or village) but players who commute distances to follow their hobby at various levels. With this situation, I was just wondering if bands were based on geographic location filled with local players ... would we see new topline outfits?
  13. GJacko

GJacko Member

IMHO.....Yes, definitely!!
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I was working for the Salvation Army, moving across the country from one appointment to the next, here was little option but to play in the nearest band. To do anything else wold have been difficult due to travelling time and trying to fit in practices with unsocial hours at work. It was also a question of filling in as and where there was a vacancy, including a spell on 2nd trombone at Williamstown simply because that was the only spare instrument available.

With work & family commitments, I do not feel even now that I could justify spending too much time travelling to and fro to play with a different band. Whatever the standard of band I've been with, I feel that I've enjoyed my banding, and worked to improve my own individual playing standard.
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There are two bands within 400yds of each other. Both need more players! They practice on the same nights and are 'rivals'. Having said that, if jobs don't clash, then players will help out the other band. Unfortunately the standard of either band is not that great. Geographically there are very few players available and 25+ miles to any other band! It would actually make sense for the two bands to merge, but neither are prepared to sacrifice their history. (I know, I've suggested it more than once.)
  16. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I bet the closest player to the bandroom would still arrive last!
  17. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

How about this...?

Two years ago I started a regular 35 mile commute to start a new band in a rural area with loads of enthusiastic players who were hungry to do more than they had had the opportunity to do before, despite there being other 'better' bands in the area who were all really well established.

With no instruments, money or music it was bl**dy hard work!

But two years on - Norfolk Wherry Brass has had two successive promotions plus two Nationals invites, runs its own solo, duet & quartet competition, has raised thousands for great causes and has now started its own youth band!

My point? I'd much rather travel to a band that is hungry for success and that can make fantastic things happen than take the 'easy' option of sitting in a higher section band that isn't going anywhere.
  18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We've got at least 130 miles to go by road to find the nearest band, unless I buy a fast speedboat and head over to Arran Brass or Ayrshire....!
  19. Steve

Steve Active Member

I would travel as far as necessary to play for a quality and enjoyable band. Were I restricted to play within 15 miles of my house I would move to an area with a higher concentration of bands of a decent standard.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- things might be so different if this hypothetical scenario was in place ... there could be several top-flight banders just on your doorstep. Some of the top bands may no longer have the luxury of picking and choosing unless people opted to live close to the bandhall.