Would You resign Or Not ??????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Big Fella, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

A friend of mine who plays on a solo seat for a 1st section band, has found out that the conductor of the band wanted to replace them last September..

The thing that is really annoying them is that neither the conductor or anybody from the committee has ever mentioned any problems with their playing ability, or general bandmandship.

They are that annoyed that they are considering going to the bands 1st rehersal of the New Year, and just resigning from the band....

Your Thoughts please ????

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

you say they 'found out', how do you find out the conductors intentions unless they tell you?

all bands are always looking for more, better players that is how a band maintains (or even improves) its standards.

I would suggest they talk to the conductor before making any decision based on what sounds like a rumour to me. Just because someone says that the conductor 'offered a seat' to a player is no reason to resign, get the truth from the horses mouth before making a decision you might regret.

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well we had a simular situation in 2003 for National Finals (1st Section) the person who was playing at the area our conductor felt they were not good enough for the position of Principal Cornet for the finals and the band needed to get another player appointed, this was put to the commitee with the conductors plans.
    We the commitee agreed with the conductor 100% on the move:clap:
    We all agreed that the player was not good enough to lead the band at the finals on Principal Cornet,so a new one was found.
    However this player WAS offered another position within the band of Repiano Cornet, as the conductor felt they would make a better Repiano Cornet player than Principal Cornet, the move was put to the player but:( :icon_cry: was the reaction from them resulting in them making a immediate move out of the bandroom:biggrin: :biggrin: :clap: :clap: :D that was our bands reaction to it.

4. persins

persins Member

Far too many people seem prepared to cut their nose off to spite their face. I have seen so many knee jerk reactions that have just escalated a simple issue into a band killing mess!
    I would suggest that they talk to the conductor / committee to find out what is going on and how they all see the situation progressing. I would really guard against just resigning on the speculative rumours alone. Is it just a case of principal or nothing? It might be that alternative options could be discussed but just resigning in protest immediately helps absolutely no one.

This is actually one of my real frustrations with bands. People seem to think that they have a god given right to everything sometimes and lose all sense of perspective!:icon_evil: :ranting2:

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

How nice.

And what happened to the player in question Ian? Is he still playing?

Going back to the original question - and like others have said - the first thing that needs to happen is that this person needs to talk to the conductor. Only when the true facts - not rumours as they are now - are known can he/she make the right decision for him/herself.

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Absolutely. It sounds like an unfortunate situation, but I'm sure conductors must have considered replacing me in the past. That doesn't particularly worry me as I've always beleived that the MD should have the final say about who sits where, and carry the can if things go wrong musically due to his/her decisions.

If your friend is still on the solo seat, they must be fulfilling all necessary criteria and, until the MD says otherwise, should be sure of their position.

Best to talk to the MD and find out what really happened. You never know, the reply might be "Yes I did consider it... and I'm really glad I decided to stick with you." Puts a different slant on it at least?

Best not to do anything angry though. The heat of the moment is a terrible thing.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Dyl makes some good points, and it is hard to give any advice without knowing a little more of the background. It could be that they considered replacing him because another (better) player appeared to be available. I doubt if there are many bands that would not consider such a change if a really first-class player turned up. Equally, the fact that nothing was said at the time could be that they thought better of it.

As no action was taken, it is impossible to know how they would have handled it in terms of offering an alternative position etc, but I certainly would advise against doing anything rash in the heat of the moment.

8. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Wow. Sounds like things are a bit appolitical with the banding scene in your neck of the woods. But I guess when you have competitions and sponsorship money, etc. on the line, it tends to get taken WAY more seriously than what we call our Brass Band. Although I suspect I wouldn't qualify to carry gear for some of the bands you guys are in.

I'm in it for the fun... nothing else. When it turns icky (like it sounds like it can get over there), to me it's not fun anymore. I had to put up with the politics, conniving, and backstabbing in my high school band... which is why I quit that gig in the first place.

9. Despot

Despot Member

Check your facts first!! It could just be a rumour with no basis in truth.

I'd question why this has come to light only now and not a few months ago.

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    New Year
    section band
    playing ability
    solo seat
    bands
  12. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

This is a delicate situation that could have much wider implications. What if other people in the band get wind of it and support the baritone player. The band could potentially be decimated.

I think this needs to be cleared up before the first rehearsal i.e. the said baritone player call the conductor or meet in person to discuss the situation. The first rehearsal after Christmas should be a fun one, easing back into the New Year and preparing for the Area etc. not a potential explosive situation.

Let's hope it's just a misunderstanding and all is well.

13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Sounds like top advice to me. You never know, maybe another player is stirring up trouble because they've got an eye on the solo seat (call me cynical, but it happens). Maybe, for whatever reason, your friend had a slight dip in form a la Michael Owen which made people wonder if he/she was right for the seat and has since come back. Nobody knows, so your friend needs to sit down for a pint with the conductor and find out the facts. Personally I wouldn't resign for being moved down a seat or two if it was done properly (i.e. for the greater good of the band, face to face and the reasons explained) but that's a decision only your friend can make and only when in possession of the full story.

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Sounds like there is a great team spirit in your band....Remind me not to try to join if I ever move into your area :(

I'd just echo what other people have said - don't make any hasty decisions, talk to the conductor and see what the situation really is. Then make an informed decision based on the facts.

15. Steve

Steve Active Member

I get fed up of "i heard this......" "apparently this is happening" "someone told me that maybe....."

Just ask the guy / gal straight and stop pussyfooting around, that is the way things get sorted and I hope it is sorted out however is best for the individual and the band. If a Musical Director wants different tools then thats their perogative but any MD who does it behind the players back is not worthy of their position. Similarly, any player that walks into a bandroom and kicks up a public fuss isnt worth their place either.

There are obviously exceptions to this ie. the very top bands where perfection is not demanded but expected. Look at Dyke for example.

16. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

And I thought cat-fights were vicious - Meow. :eek:

I know I'm about to step into a big smelly pile by saying this (or I'll just be ignored like usual), and I know I don't have the slightest as to how things get on over there - but at the end of the day, isn't this supposed to be a hobby, henceforth - fun? Sounds almost catty on a level.

Don't hate me because I'm a Yank - just trying to understand. ;)

17. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Just a quick point, why should the player in question want to resign the first rehearsal after christmas..... If he/she wanted to make a dramatic, diva-esque resignation, the player in question should really resign the night before the area's!!! At least, doing it the first rehearsal back gives the musical director plenty time to get someone else in.
    And of course, as we have all found out at one time or another, no player is ever considered "above" the rest of the band..

Andy

18. dickyg

dickyg Member

When you are dealing with people's feelings and egos you are treading in a minefield. One thing that is often not considered seems to be a person's loyalty to the band. e.g. if you have a player on a solo position who is doing the job and who is 100% committed to the band, do you replace them if a better player comes along?

If you do, what is the actual gain compared to the message a conductor/committee is sending to the rest of the band - the same band who you hope will give 100% committment and loyalty in the future.

This is not 'work' for the majority but their hobby.

As I said, a minefield that needs delicate handling!

19. bennem

bennem Member

In reference to the very first post of this thread I think you always need to take a step back and take a deep breath before responding to this type of rumor in a band.

Yes your instant reaction is "....you B*****ds...." but if you put yourself into the shoes of the conductor and the band itself you would consider doing a similar thing if someone came along who could play in the seat better. It will feel like you are being undermined, passed over, unappreciated but this is life. If you cannot get over it or people in the band are gloating (as in one of the other responses to this thread) do you really want to continue playing with people who are not supporting and encouraging each other in the band?

But I suspect the person you mention has been quite happy for the last year and all they are working on is unsubstantiated rumor. Bring it up with the conductor if they still feel it is that important otherwise just stay put if they are enjoying the companionship of the other players, the music the band is making and playing as a team.

20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I can only explain it by putting a banding slant on a quote from a famous Soccer Manager of the past.
    " UK Banding is not a matter of life or death, it's far more important than that "
    - Wilky

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Don't wory mate. Sounds a bit harsh to me too.

You'll never get on with everyone you meet in banding, but it's a team game, so pulling together is essential.

That's why it's important not to let things get divisive in situations like the one which started this thread. "An army divided is an army beaten." As Wellington said. The same is true of bands.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    New Year
    section band
    playing ability
    solo seat
    bands