Would you recognise a recording of your band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Oct 4, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I only thought about this because of the recent complaint posts about being unfairly placed in competitions. I think if you're a performer in a band, what you hear is entirely different to what the audience hear. I reckon if I had to identify my band out of a dozen CD performances of the same test piece I'd be hard pressed.

A few years ago whilst waiting for our rehearsal room to open up, one of the other guys in the band was playing a CD performance of a recent test piece on his car stereo. He asked me which band I thought it was. I said I had no idea and he said "It's us!". I was very surprised at that - I didn't think we sounded like that.

What "signatures" give your band its unique sound? How would you pick your band out of a stack of a dozen CDs?
  2. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Thats interesting because i would know my band no probem to be honest with you. I just know the sound of various principal players in our band including myself and would know straight away. Different tempos all be it small differences they are still different!

I would find it hard not to pick them out but maybe thats me. It really like when i listen to Cory because i would recongnise the unique sound of David Childs or Ian Williams really its like that you know i guess you become familiar with the various sounds of your band!!!
  3. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Contest performances: I find that when on stage, I can hear all mistakes. As unfortunate as it may sound those would be a massive indication of which band it was. Using Cory's performance at the British Open as an example, there were a few obvious 'slips' which made it easily(ish) recognisable from the rest if listening back afterwards.

If all of the performances on the CD's were completely blemish free, (unlikely) then it would be harder, but as was said above, the principal players usually have distinguishable sounds, (Phil McCann's vibrato, David Childs tone, Peter Roberts absolute power! for example) also, the Tempo's and dynamics used would notice.
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The same for me on this;)
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

You'd be surprised how many times I hear that (in a positive way) ;)
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I could usually tell, even from a couple of bars, not only the name of the piece but the band playing. To some extent I can still do that with the earlier recordings but the older I get that ability appears to be decreasing somewhat.

Having said that, it was only a year or so ago that I spotted the World of Brass gaff when they attributed the YBS recording of St. Magnus to BAYV on the sleeve. Trevor told me I was the first to bring that to his attention; he was not at all thrilled.

I'm always surprised when I hear the opinion expressed that adjudicators in the box can't tell. As mentioned above, so many players have such distinctive sounds and styles.
  7. marchris6047

marchris6047 Member

I agree with you totally
  8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Thats easy, i'd just listen for the splits off our bl00dy useless sop player!:mad:
    Gives our performances away everytime!
  9. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Oo I know exactly how you feel:redface:
  10. statto81

statto81 New Member

We recorded some pieces during a rehearsal in a church. The recording was much better quality than I was expecting and the band sounded really balanced.

Heard loads of parts I hadn't heard before.;)
  11. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Good point. You never quite hear the balance when you're sat in the middle and can be quite surprising when you hear a recording. I have a CD of us when we came 2nd in the finals and it still impresses me now!

Hello mark, btw!
  12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

In my band the Baritone is ALWAYS far too loud. :-D