Would you move over for a better player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Mar 13, 2007.

?

Would you move over for a better player?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Yes if they were much better and also committed

129 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Never!!

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. David Mann

David Mann Member

If a new player comes to your band and clearly is better than you, would you offer your seat to them? I've personally experienced bands where players generously did this, others where some seats belonged to banding dynasties / chairmans family only etc. Then there's the question of loyalty,service and reliability vs playing ability. What do you think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    new player
    service
    dynasties
    reliability vs playing ability
    better player
  3. annieds

annieds Member

I like to think that I would move if someone was better and the MD asked me to. I would hate to move onto the front row, though. I would prefer 2nd and that would put me closer to someone for whom I feel the deepest dislike. I would almost rather move to another instrument. but not quite. What I would really hate would be to be moved for someone who insisted on not playing at all if they couldn't play my part. I would stay with the band - where else could I go on a Monday and Thursday? - and I would be moved, but I would resent it terribly.
    To be perfectly honest, I know that in most bands I would not be on rep because I am really not good enough. I was on 2nd and the rep moved up to fill a space and I followed. One day I will be found out and that'll be it.

Incidently, David, I do glue too.

Annie

4. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I'd move if they were better and also more commited but would get seriously miffed if they then never turned up.
    ps- I havnt a clue what Annie's post is about:D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  5. annieds

annieds Member

I knew what it was about until I discovered the glue

Annie

(chemist - glue)

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I sure would, and have offerd in the past, we regularly have that fabulous sop player Mr Dave Readhead down for rehursals, and the odd concert.
    if hes better than me, why no help the band out by moving???

7. barrytone

barrytone Member

Absolutely I would move if the player was better and committed, would be determined to push that player as much as I could and challenge for the seat back! Bringing better players into the band who are committed and hardworking can only improve the standard of the band and provide strength in depth. It's a team effort after all.

8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I would definitely move if the player was clearly better than me but also incredibly committed. I thint it has to be a combination of those two factors. There is no point in just having the best players on the best parts if they never turn up. At the same time, there would be no point in putting someone on a part they just weren't good enough for, even if they turned up every week.

It's frustrating to see very good, committed players stuck on rubbish parts while less good (but equally committed) players are on better parts though...

I have to say though, I wouldn't be happy about giving up the rep seat... whoever came in would have to be REALLY good and NEVER miss a rehearsal!

Edit: By the way, this is one of the things I enjoy about wind band playing. Sometimes I'm on first, sometimes second, occasionally third - it all depends on the piece - we swap around all the time and that makes life fun for everyone!

9. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Yes - at the end of the day it should be what is best for the band and not your own personal gain etc..... If you're not good enough (or not as good) accept it and move!!!

10. pdj

pdj Member

Yes i would move for a better player who is committed as much as me. Though i wouldnt move to 2nd baritone not because its that position but if that seat is already filled i wouldnt want that person to be displaced. I would rather leave the band and find somewhere else.

11. I think it depends on what the majority of the band think and the bands aim. Whether it's a social band, contesting band or local performing band... All would be very different.
    I think:
    If you're a serious band, then there should be no doubt, whoever you are if someone better comes along who will be committed ENOUGH then you should move over for them.
    If you're a local performing band then maybe this is more difficult. Seats taken by the chairman for example will always be difficult to evict from but I think THE MAJORITY VIEW of the band is what is important.
    In social bands, i know of one near when i live, then it really doesn't matter about standards. Committment can only appear important if you regularly buy a round ahead of the next person...!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    new player
    service
    dynasties
    reliability vs playing ability
    better player
  13. Well it would all depend upon what she looked like.

14. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

What is it with us Rep players, I hate having to give up parts and move off my seat too, however I have become rather attached to the principal seat of late though.

haha, I do think it is one of the best seats in the band.

Back on topic: I would move as long as I know that the person filling my seat would be able to commit like I have and will be able to be a strong team player.

"You wanna take my seat love, you gotta work hard because I'll be working twice as hard as you to prove I am right for MY seat.....lol....its that Rep thing again.

Great topic by the way

15. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

If youfeel passionate about the band youare playing with, there's only one answer- Yes.

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ditto.

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've always been something of a journeyman when it comes to brass, partly as a result of my former work with The Salvation Army, when I was frequently moving from place to place, often at short notice. I have always taken the view that any involvement with a band has been a bonus, and I've made it clear to the bandmaster that I would happily fill whatever position he wanted me to take up.

Now I'm settled, I see no reason to change that approach, hence being ready to switch between EEb and BBb to accommodate other moves within the band.

18. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My answer had to be the middle one. Mostly because I wouldn't want some fly-by-night to come in and then leave the band in the lurch when another opportunity arose.

I'm seriously thinking that my time is approaching as I get older. It gets harder to become enthused and to put in all the effort. I can now clearly see the day approaching when I will have to hang up my strap and go onto a boring job like conducting ;)

19. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Have moved from 2nd Euph to Solo Eflat bass to 2nd Bflat bass, due to better players arriving and much prefer Bflat to either of the other instruments. Hope someday to be the worst player in the band (if I'm not already) as long as my own standard has stayed the same or got better.

20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'd give up the seat to someone who is not better than me too! :D

21. DanB

DanB Member

Absolutely not! No way. I'd practice my *** off and make sure I made myself better than whoever was after my seat. However, unless you were prepared to do that, you should bow out graciously.

22. Wouldn't we all love to be in a position to post here: "I'm Steven Mead and know nobody will be better so end of discussion"?!