Would you change??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bagpuss, Apr 28, 2004.

What tickles your fancy??

1. Soprano

2. Bb Cornet

0 vote(s)
  3. Flugel

4. Horn

5. Baritone

0 vote(s)
  6. Euphonium

7. Tenor Trombone

0 vote(s)
  8. Bass Trombone

0 vote(s)
  9. Eb Bass

10. Bb Bass

0 vote(s)
  11. Percussion

12. Conductor/MD!!!!!

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Whilst setting up percussion equipment for a concert, I usually end up wishing I played piccolo, it would be much easier and quicker to set up and you'd be less likely to get people moaning about having to carry a piccolo aswell. It set me thinking, is there any other instrument that you would like to change to, even if only to try it out?? If so, please say why.

2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i never want to change wot i play, although there are instruments i would like to be able to play too, i.e i would like to be able to play a brass instrument (i can play c,d,e,f,g so far) i would love to be able to play guitar, and at one point in my life i wanted to play clarinet, but im not too fussed on that now. i like setting the percussion up, coz it takes my mind of other things like what else is happening in m life or in the world or woteva.
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I nearly gave up playing altoghter a few months ago so I guess it would have been non of the above.

I always wanted to play the flugal but as the band only had one at the time, I ended up just using my dads euph. To be honest with you though I don't think I could play any other instrument
  4. drunkandy

drunkandy New Member

I wanted to play sax, but then grew up!!! I can play guitar (badly) and can also dabble on the piano as well :?
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I would never change. I feel that BBb bass is my instrument and will only play Eb to help out other bands on odd occasions.
  6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I always wanted to conduct, and now i've just been made MD of a junior band, so i cant wait to get started.
    See if i love it more than playing the cornet! :D

We shall see! :wink:
  7. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Sorry--only cornet for me--I think I'd be the worst bass player in the world as it would never leave the bandhall
  8. blue_smarties

blue_smarties Member

once wanted to play bass, when I was about 7!! :? :)
    would never change now :)
  9. I have voted Euph - I play Cornet at present.

In fact I really wouldn't consider changing on a permanant basis. I love my cornet and in fact one of my earliest memories must be when aged circa four years old seeing a military band come marching up the street. I still get those goose pimples when I think about it now.

I was born to play cornet/trumpet.........they are bright and shiny; and LOUD!! every boys dream.

Maybe when I get older (49 now) - I may think about the Euph :wink:

Only joking ...... all those fantastic Euph players out there....

PS I have enough trouble with three valves - Lord knows what I would do with four :?
  10. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Try the trombone-no valves-must be easy :lol:
    Apologies-coodny resist it :oops:
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've had a tinkle on all instruments in the band except Sop... just that to go!... I've voted MD as I know when I pack playing in that's what I'll stick to doing

12. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I have played from sop down to flugel (played horn very very briefly...an afternoon type briefness so doesn't count). Would I like to change from cornet?I think anyone who knows me know the answer to that :( :wink:
  13. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

I wouldn't change from cornet unless i had to. i've played sop, but i started pushing on my lip. Now, i've worked so well on my cornet playing, i would never change.
  14. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Wouldnt change unless i had to
  15. NeilW

NeilW Member

That was always my dad's advice - he was a drummer!

As for me: see signature :?

16. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I've voted sop cos as anyone who knows me would testify, I have a pretty amazing (if as yet undiscovered) talent for that instrument.

Seriously though, is it really the case that no one wants to be a bass player? If people could just see beyond the hassle getting on a bus, having to buy a big car to get it in the boot, having boring parts to play, never getting a solo in a piece, annoying the neighbours, not being able to afford a new mouthpiece, and people laughing at you as you struggle to do any of the above, saying 'I bet you wished you played the flute' thenthey might just possibly realise that it's actually a bit of a laugh being a bass player - honest!

Paul Drury
    Eb Bass
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band
  17. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Id play Eb Bass just cause no ones voted for it yet. Also to proove to a particular someone who shall remain nameless that it actually is as easy to play as he makes it look and its not that hes a good player at all.
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

one day I might learn what valves do and try euphonium, but for now I'm quite happy where I am!! :D
  19. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I've made the switch from Horn to Drums.
    Saves effort having to keep my lip in shape.
  20. I would never change from Eb horn and I can't believe noone has voted for it!!!!! I've played cornet and baritone before and they were terrible instruments.

I feel I also have to reply to an earlier comment made by gorgie boy. I have heard him play a soprano cornet after a band practice and he managed to clear the room very quickly! So take from that what you will .....