Would you change Instruments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rapier, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

If there were no other bands within reasonable distance, would you change instruments to join another nearer band? Can't decide........brain hurts......Help!
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  2. Carina

Carina Member

Well I guess it might depend on whether being in a band is really important to you, or your particular instrument is important to you. What instrument do you play and what instrument are you thinking of changing to? It's a tough decision! I switched from percussion to tenor horn, but that was within the same band. I would probably consider another instrument if there were no places for horn players...but not cornet :p
  3. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

I wouldn't swap my sop for anything, I'd travel to the nearest available band..........although after 30 + years on sop I'm probably completely insane (that's what the voices say anyway):biggrin:
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

No, I would not change instruments (although I'd love to temporarily play percussion sometimes). I would rather travel further for a band where there were vacancies in my instrument.
  5. Caz Clay

Caz Clay New Member

well after playing horn for nine years, a flugel position opened and i thought why not!!! and i've not looked back since!! after all the um-chucks on horn i welcomed some melody of the flugel part!! what you playing and swapping too?? i'd say depends on few things- how much you really love your instrument, how long you've been playin(maybe a change would be good, can always change back, well maybe!!), how much easier it really would be travelling that little less and how much you enjoy you're current band!! you'd have to leave it all behind!! the choice is youirs, but i've never looked back a year on!!!;)
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

just have
    moved back onto gods instrument.
    waddaya meen whats that!!1

sop of course!!!
  7. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Would you change instrument

Craig you crawler!!! you will say anything to get into S.P.A.S, I would not give up sop for anything, i would rather change bands, travel further, and go to lower sectionsto play gods chosen instrument. "The higher you play, the nearer to God you get", hope that answers the original question, about changing and moving.
  8. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Well I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where, that to play sop you have to be a 'special' individual.

Not convinced about being closer to god....not into the religious thing...but if I couldn't play sop in my band, I wouldn't bother, got plenty of other playing to do apart from brass band. Been playing it since I was about 12 and love it. Recently I've sat on front row and I just got bored, no offence to any front row-ers intended, just not my thing!?

Wouldn't mind playing Flugel.....think it's just because I like having my own part!?!?
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When working with The Salvation Army we were liable to move from place to place at short notice, and with no input into our next location. That being the case, I would always explain to the new BM that I would be happy to fill in wherever there was a need, and found myself at various times on horn, baritone, euph, tenor and bass trombone as well as both varieties of bass. Due to work considerations, including the need to work shifts and sometimes unpredictable hours, I was not in the position to consider travelling to another band, so if I wanted to keep playing that seemed to be the best option.

Even now, settled at Hadleigh, the BM knows that I would be willing to fill in elswhere, either temporarily or on a more permanent basis, if it is needed for the good of the band, although there's little prospect unless another BBb player turns up on our doorstep.
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well i have played Baritone for at least 26 years as i started on cornet then moved to Bari a short spell on Euph(6 months) when i was 15 but back to Bari ever since.
    The once the one band i was with i was not asked by the Conductor by TOLD
    " You have GOT to play Bb Bass no other option "
    I soon told him where to go take a running jump.
    I would consider Euph if i went to another band if Baritone place was not available or band im in at present but i LOVE my Baritone as the parts that are been wrote these days are great.
    Cant wait till the Area Contest The Wayfarer 1st Baritone part is just fantastic and all baritone players should be loving the thought of playing one of Eric Balls pieces
  11. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Where there is only one seat, ie. Sop, Flugel, Bass Trombone, you can't guarantee that you will be playing "your" instrument. These seats rarely get doubled up.

I am in a position of moving to Essex. Played Flugel for years, but no vacancies anywhere within travelling distance of where we are moving to. No choice but to change instrument. That or give up.

Now learning Tenor Horn, so will hopefully get a Horn seat once moved.

BTW:- Any Nationally competing Band within easy travelling distance of Wickford, at least 3rd section, and needing a Horn player, let me know. Will be moving next month or so. Range up to Super G, and down to Pedal G. Just sorting out pitching on Eb instrument, as keep thinking in Bb. Practising at least an hour each day, plus 2 rehearsals a week, so will be sorted very soon.
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I play Solo Horn but bands in the area are pretty rare and those within 'doable' travelling don't need horns. So the change would be to cornet, as everybody needs more cornets. Or I could just pack it in and find something else to do. Can't think what though.
  13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I could never stop playing tenor horn, but if I couldn't play it in a band I would play something else in the band and carry on playing horn outside of band. If that makes any sense...
  14. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I tried hard at changing on to Cornet myself. However, it is not something I enjoy playing so not an option for me.
  15. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

I'd play baritone in a pinch, but much prefer euph.

Have played lots of both tenor and bass trombone, but much prefer euph.

Don't even ask me about the smaller horns - trust me, you don't want me playing those instruments!
  16. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

17. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Tenor horns?...You're not wrong there! Most sensible people on this side of the pond try and steer clear of those contraptions.