Would anyone be interested in old instruments????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by englishgill, Nov 7, 2007.

1. englishgill

englishgill Member

My band needs to move bandrooms after a council re-shuffle of its properties. In order to be as 'light' as possible for the move we need to offload some excess instruments from our storeroom.

Some of these old instruments (pre-dating our lottery purchasing) we expect to be able to overhaul and sell on E-bay, others may never be in a state to be playable again - my question is would anyone have any advice as to how to get some cash for these instruments. If they are unplayable (in our opinion) can they still be sold on e-bay as long as we say that and we provide true pictures of the state of them???

Any advice would be gratefully received - equally if anyone is interested in any of the instruments please drop me a PM and when we have a list of instruments compiled (probably in a couple of weeks) I can let you know exactly what we have.

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

There plenty of adverts of ebay for incomplete instruments - on one occasion a single valve for a soprano cornet went for over £200 becuase two people were fighting over it...
  3. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

You could sell your toe nails on ebay if you wanted!! Just make sure they're described accurately and you shouldn't have a problem.

I was just wondering if your lottery grant had any conditions attached as to how you should get rid of old instruments that have resulted following the funding?
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

As long as you make it clear what condition things are in - playable but damaged, unplayable but repairable, unrepairable for parts or decorating pub walls only - you should have no problem. I've seen all sorts of useless crud on Ebay, especially broken old computers "for spares or repair".

You could advertise your toenails on ebay but whether you'll get any takers is open to question. I could do with a few quid, maybe I'll try......
  5. Bungle

Bungle Member

Sharon Mccallum might be interested. It states on the front page of her website "Part exchange is welcomed as well as band room clearance of surplus instruments". I think she repairs the unsellable ones and they get shipped to Africa to start bands :clap: You might have seen her trade stand at some of the SCABA contests.
  6. on_castors

on_castors Member

Note particularly valuable items that sell for ridiculous sums on eBay.... which I would always sell separately.

E flat tubas... 4 valve compensating models particularly go for amazing prices even in wrecked condition, even 3 valve ones have a ready market for beginners. 80 to 100 years old is NO barrier to a healthy sum! B flat Basses don't seem to command very much interest at all unless they are more modern or 4 valve ones.
    Old G Bass trombones - seen a few go for hundreds, and then again, others don't!
    Flugel Horns - unlike old cornets, these seem to create a lot of interest too, even if they look like the one used by Gloria in "Brassed Off!" ;-)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2007
  7. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

I am looking for a BBb Bass Imperial 4 valve

let me know if you have one

Simon Gresswell
  8. englishgill

englishgill Member

I suspect that we don't have any surplus basses - I think we cleared those out a while ago but I'll hopefully post a list in the next couple of weeks of what we do have and then we'll know for certain.

9. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

10. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Good idea. I harp back to my earlier post... if you received a lottery grant you may not be able to simply sell your surplus instruments.
  11. Texus

Texus Member

I am definately interested in buying instruments for my school projects.
    Please PM me details, will travel to pick up!
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Anyone interested :) ?

Mind you, I don't have a full set as one was taken out a few years back to stop it ingrowing. The other nine are in perfect order though. Will post a pic if there's serious interest. :)
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Did you give your reasoning for this? It may be that a term of the lottery grant is that you make an effort to pass on your "old" instruments to say a training band but I would doubt if there would be a restriction on the ownership of your old instruments.

KSB received a new set of lottery instruments about 8 years ago and these will eventually become the property of the band after a period of 10 years. We therefore only own our existing older and newer instruments which were paid for by the band as a Lottery condition -part funding.

Clearly instruments funded by the lottery could not be sold for 10 years.
  14. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

My reasoning is exactly as you have highlighted - in that there may be some restrictions attached to the provision of a grant. It was just as a "best to be sure" statement. It would be a shame if the instruments were sold only to find out they shouldn't have been sold - the money get paid back to the lottery board and a worthwhile cause misses out (a training band)!

I'm also quite sure a condition would not be worded "make an effort to pass on your old instruments" - how would you quantify that?

But hey, I've no really strong views on this just would advise caution.
  15. Philip German

Philip German New Member

I am collecting old brass to take to Uganda band, no payment until you go heaven!
    Philip German Friary Band
  16. englishgill

englishgill Member

I checked up on this and we have run the course of the 7 year agreement PLUS it apparently only applied to the new instruments we bought (none of which we will be getting rid of as they are all still being played!!)

I suspect we will be trying to 'sell' instruments rather than give them away - I applaud the work that various people are putting in trying to send instruments out to Africa etc however if we can make some money for the band I think the committee would lynch me for giving them away no matter how good the cause. :oops:

I hope to have an initial look at what we have this evening and post a list of possible instruments sometime next week.

Thanks for your interest guys .......
  17. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

In that case, I too would be interested in seeing the final list when it's prepared. Good luck with the sale.