Wot, no default

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ronnie_the_lizard, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Help -

My tMP has changed irreparably - I don't like 3.03, Clean or Main but the old default setting disappeared this afternoon mid-post and I am left squinting at the screen and scrolling through miles of blank spaces.........
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hi Ronnie! Well spotted - yes, we've temporarily turned the 'Default' skin off as we are trying to reduce the number of skins on offer - mainly due to the amount of work in updating each skin whenever changes are made to any part of tMP. John ran a poll a short while ago, and as 'Default' appeared to be the one with least votes, it was decided that this would be the first to go! Here's a link to the thread: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16321 - did you vote by any chance? Please note, this may be only a temporary removal, but we are seriously looking at reducing the amount of skins available, as we try and standardise on a consistent tMP 'look and feel'.

Personally I love 'Clean' and find it quick, easy and errrm, clean - try it - I'm sure you'll grow to like it! ;)
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

Still not convinced, though I think perhaps the problem in part was the 100% brightness setting on my screen making 'clean' look all white (with white borders and white lines between the threads) instead of the pale ?salmon surround and lines which I admit do work better.

Doesn't help that with many screens I stand to use at work I (6'1") share them with the permanent vet (4'0".....well seems like it) so I'm permanently looking down at them and losing some colours anyway.

I might have taken notice of the thread sooner if it had said "Which skin should we get rid of...." instead of "Which one do you use....." which sounded like a very boring discussion.

I have now voted.......
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Ron

Apologies about perhaps not making the text and my objectives re: which style do you use poll not clear enough. I have edited the text which will hopefully now clarify what I am wanting to do, though I did mention in it that I was looking to reduce my workload when amending or adding anything on tMP.

Can I please ask that you try out one of the alternate styles (probably not tMP303) - either Clean or Main - and see how you get on with that. The tMP Main style uses a similar colour scheme to that of the removed default style, so hopefully you may be able to get used to it.

I do listen to tMP'ers and value everones opinions; please do keep me informed of how you're getting on.

5. ronnie_the_lizard

Clean's not too bad now I've adjusted the screen brightness/contrast/colo(u)r settings. In any case I move on to pastures new next week so will have different screens & poss no access at all for a while :(

6. ronnie_the_lizard

OK........... having been grudgingly persuaded that perhaps 'clean' would be OK........I now have another problem.

Although I have been to UserCP & set skin type to 'Clean' tMP keeps defaulting to '3.03'. Not sure if this is every time I log on (or is it just when I change computers - I regularly use 6 different stations at the moment) {or is it because I've visited the arcade ????}.

Would I be right in thinking that it's defaulting to the first option on the list each time - so it's probably happened all along but I wouldn't have noticed in the past because 'default' was the first option ?

Can I stop this ??

The set box-size in 3.03 makes the 'random threads' difficult to follow as there's just one or two words at the top of the box then a big empty space.
  7. TheMusicMan

Nothing to do with the order Ron, if you have selected your preferred default style in your UserCP settings, then this is what shoudl be used by the forum when you log in.

It shouldn't matter what you have on other PC's as the setting should be picked up from your UserCP setting however, you might wish to clear out your temp folder and cookies as a precaution.
    Agreed, which is why this style is possibly the next to go!!!:biggrin:
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

OK, I thought perhaps the 'cookie' idea might be right, and since I couldn't delete cookies from the server I have waited till today when I have moved site to a new PC, new server both completely tMp free.

User CP set to 'Clean'
    Logs on as 'Clean'

Visit the Arcade

Return to Home / Forums and it defaults to 3.03
    (& definitely didn't do this before - used to return to 'default')
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Personally, I like 3.03, probably because it is the only one I have ever used!

I would be sad to see it go, because I know where everything I use is - I just tried one of the other skins and couldn't find my way around anything like so easily. I changed it back to reply to this message as I knew where the "Quote" function is - which I couldn't find in Main.

However, I daresay I'll get used to a new skin if it goes!! Just a matter of practice.....
  10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I used to use default all of the time because for some reason 3.03 always seemed to take forever to load every page up.

I tried the Clean setting and must admit whilst I wasn't too keen at first, I really like it now.
    I think the plainer the background etc the more the post has prominence. Plus I find Clean setting is quite fast when I'm going from thread to thread
  11. TheMusicMan

The thing is... the software used on tMP has had a major new release recently, and I need to upgrade this asap. However, all is not as easy as it seems as the way the engibe of the software works has changed radically. Effectively, this means that any styles coded for previous versions will need to be re-written to account for the significant changes in the latest version. The tMP303 style is a custom coded style written specifically for tMP and would cost me an arm and a leg to get re-written for the latest version of the code wheras the other styles I use are commercially available styles that I have amended myself. These are being released in the new guise very soon and then I am able to upgrade tMP to take advantage of the new software release.

I am contemplating getting an all-new style developed - unique to tMP - that will then be the only one available, but we'll have to see... ;)
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The thing is I remember when we first went over to this new style of tmp (how long ago was it then). It took most of us a while to get used to it but we are all happily using it now.

Whatever you have to take away because of software or price restraints will not harm the site because any of us using a defunct style will find another one and get used to it anyway.

We're all tmp junkies John, whatever "fix" you give us we'll happily lap up ;)
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

^What he said!!! :tup

Wow - 100 posts - I spend way too much time on here!!