Worst Venue

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Playabit, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Playabit

Playabit Member

As members of bands we get to play in many places, just wondered worst venue have you played in.

Mine was when i was in an Army band and we had to play in single line down a corridor for the Officers of the Regiment, it was the same corridor the kitchen door was on and every time a waitress passed we would get covered in Gravy etc, that and the fact the Officers couldnt give a toss if we was there or not..:mad:
  2. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Upper Cwmtwrch Miners' Hall
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd agree with you there: give me a Sergeants' Mess do any day - even if they don't want us there, they'll all toe the line or else they'll have the RSM to answer to, and they usually look after the bands much better ;)
  4. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

I played at the side of a railway line! The trombones (myself) could feel the steam and heat of the engines!
  5. x..Emma..x

x..Emma..x Member

I dont really think i have one thats all that bad.. :S

Um, maybe on the old colliery sight, doing the moonlight walk, in the rain, and you guessed it, moonlight.
    Not fun when its grassy, and VERY slippy.. :tongue:
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

East Midlands Conference Centre for the Areas about 10 years ago. Terrible, terrible acoustic both for the bands and the audience, a joke of a bar (a tent on a slope usually slippery with mud due to the time of year), with those hateful space heaters trying to make the temperatiure bearable, and to cap it all very limited parking. In short I hated playing there.

Not the best place for what is the most important day of the year for 90% of the bands there. Thankfully we now have a proper venue.
  7. RobBari

RobBari Member

this brings back memories, waiting outside in the rain before going on stage. oh happy days
  8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Belvedere Club, where the Midlands third and fourth was for a while. Absolute rubbish.
  9. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Without a doubt for anyone who has had to play in the Arena at the Riviera Centre, Torquay - it has to be that hall.

Think the championship section should have to play it one year as we were advised a few years ago by the adjudicator that all the 4th Section bands should have adjusted to the dire acoustics in there - I'm sure the Championship would be in a much better place to do that than those in the 4th :)

More suited to rollerblading and badminton in my opinion that a brass band contest, but that must be what selection of venues for the Regionals must be all about - making it a bigger test ;)
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I liked it, but for non-accoustic reasons; 1 - I lived in the Uni flats in Beeston, literally across the road and 2 - we won!

Worst indoor venues I've played in; Colwyn Bay Leisure Centre for the old N. Wales Entertainment contest, Dronfield Leisure Centre for the NEMBBA contest in about 1992/3 ish, and the ****** Lunars bar at Pontins. Worst outdoor was a freshly discovered "roman amphitheatre" in a farmer's field in Cheshire somewhere, which turned out to be a hole in the ground, with steep sides and no steps, down into which everything had to be gingerly lowered by hand.
  11. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We played at the European Co-operative Conference held at their headquaters in Manchester. At lunchtime we had to play standing in a corner of their restaurant next to the queue at the self service counter. At least they fed us afterwards though.
  12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Sausages on the menu?

I always detest the bandstand in Nicholas Everrit Park, Oulton Broad. Long way to walk form the car park. Plus the place has its own micro climate. Constant rain.
  13. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

duno bout the venue cos it was ok but i hated the acoustic in kippax band club, everything sounded loud to me and alot of detail got lost (im not having a go or saying kippax bandroom is poo i just didnt like the acoustic so dont be hating me)
  14. The bandstand in Grassington village centre remains my most hated "venue" - if you have more than 6 players and a drum kit on there, it turned into a death trap.
    I once attempted to reach our kit players sticks - he had dropped them - and managed to fall backwards off the stage, still holding my bass, and with my head but mere centimetres from a dry stone wall!

Andy - hating christmas concerts in the wretched countryside!
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Dunno about worst venue, but worst warm up and changing area has to be Prestatyn Pontins!! Stuck in a doorway corridor , with a less than 7ft high false ceiling, no music stands and the heating on full blast....not exactly condusive to great preparation!
  16. BoBo

BoBo Member

A student union lounge last week, I'm not sure who were more bemused, the band or the students.

The beer was cheap though and I discovered that student unions smell the same as they did 30 years ago.
  17. agentorange

agentorange Member

Yep, Pontins gets my vote too. Warming up in the amusement arcade, then waiting outside (in November) to register. Not much better when you actually get on 'stage' either.
  18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The hall where the OLD 2nd section Midland Area was the venue in 1978.
    Stage was the size of a small box !!!!!
  19. on_castors

on_castors Member

I could not agree more.

A swamp :-(
  20. postie

postie Member

I agree with you Daniel it wasn't the best really quite bad.