Worst Gig

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Miss Saxophone, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Miss Saxophone

Miss Saxophone New Member

Everyone has bad gigs at some point, what's yours?? :)
  2. agentorange

agentorange Member

Any where there are more band members than audience members. Yes, it has happened!
  3. An outdoor gig with about 10 'audience' members ie. people who just happened to be there... and then it suddenly started tipping it down with rain! :frown: got very wet that day!
  4. pbirch

pbirch Member

Yes it happens, but that, in itself does not make for a bad gig. 5 people who turn up and pay for a ticket, deserve to hear a good performance from a band.
  5. nethers

nethers Active Member

Used to do some park jobs in the UK, the rule at one place was that if it rained and the band didn't want to appear at all (this was uncovered, no bandstand) they didn't get paid, however if they turned up and played and the weather became bad they could pack up with full pay as long as they had played something.

Weather was atrocious - 25 players set-up, and in front of no audience (except the man waiting to take the seats away again) played one verse of The Queen. All to the pub with full pay :) Must have been pretty surreal to see.
  6. agentorange

agentorange Member

They did. But you're not trying to convince me it wouldn't have been better with a full hall are you?
  7. pbirch

pbirch Member

of course not, given the option, playing to 500 is always better than to 5. It brings into question our attitude as musicians, to both the audience and the music. the 5 deserve our best efforts as much as the 500, and the music certainly does.
    I would also suggest that you judge the quality of a gig on the quality of your performance, not the quantity in the audience
  8. boourns

boourns Member

I did a park job in atrocious weather once, and the deal was that if people were there to listen then you had to play. So we did a full set of four hours, including a half time break in the pub, for the benefit of the two nutters sat on a bench in full wet weather gear. :-?
  9. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Rain dosen't bother me. Its when its a boiling hot day and I would prefer to be in my shorts and t shirts soaking up the sun in a beer garden!
  10. SteveT

SteveT Member

My worst gig, marching along the footfath by a dual carriageway at 7am in the morning, with herd of cows mooing and following us along the field hedgerow! I win I think!
  11. agentorange

agentorange Member

And I would suggest that you're not in a position to question my performance, my attitude or my opinion. As I have previously said, the audience were still treated to a good show.

A good gig isn't just about the bands performance, and isn't just about the audience either. It's about the atmosphere and rapport that is created between the two. Like it or not, this is much more likely when the hall is full. With this in mind, the gig I had in mind when I originally replied was one of the worse I've played in as the atmosphere was none existent. If the OP had asked for my worse performance then I would have replied differently. But they didn't.
  12. pbirch

pbirch Member

To a certain extent I agree, and it follows the input, process, outcome model, what I am suggesting is that the judgement of the gig as good, bad or worst is dependent on many things (quality of performance, attitude of the musicians, the environment, the room, the atmosphere, rapport etc) including the attitude of the audience, but critically, it is not dependent on the size of the audience, a big audience can be as cold and hostile as a small one.

You are quite right that it is not for me to question your performance or attitude (or anyone's other my own, for that matter), and I did not mean that as a personal comment, but the performance and attitude of the players is a significant factor, and seeing an audience smaller than the band can sometimes create a self-fulfilling prophesy that the gig is going to be a bad one, and that can only be the fault of the band
  13. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Worst gig? Not exactly a gig, but a Sunday morning open air meeting with my SA band whilst visiting Hull a number of years ago. Someone actually threw an egg at me. Even I didn't believe I was playing that badly! I am inclined to think it was a protest from some individual who took offence at being disturbed from his/her Sunday morning lie-in.
  14. pbirch

pbirch Member

that happened to us too in Hull, must have been the same street :)
  15. eflatbass

Eggs must have been particularly cheap in Hull :). I should have added that the rest of the band thought it highly amusing.
  16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

The most memorable gigs are when the band plays really well and there is enough people in the audience to generate a great atmosphere. 5 people in an audience is a pretty bad gig in my book (my book is not a pedants guide to posting on tmp).
    I once did a gig with Sheps (Think it was Bolton town hall or somewhere similar) where our family/friends outnumbered the rest of the audience, also on the bill was a comic who's act was based on picking on members of the audience..... That was a dreadful gig. I was cringing for the poor folks having to put up with it. We did our 'professional' bit of course, but those occasions are good for neither audience or performers.
    Get real pbirch xx
  17. pbirch

pbirch Member

I'm not for saying that these are not bad experiences, you were there , I wasn't, but I do stand firm in my view that, of itself, the size of the audience should not be the determining factor.
    For myself, the worst gigs that I have been involved in have been those when
    (1) I have been under rehearsed or unprepared or distracted by some extraneous factor
    (2) some of my colleagues were under rehearsed etc
    Or (3) the whole band is under rehearsed
    On too many occasions I have experienced 1 or more or these factors contributing to a bad gig, and the fault lies with me/ us not the audience
  18. eflatbass

Presumably, flying eggs are included in this category?
  19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

My lordie, someone pass me an egg
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ive done a few of those in the past:mad: