Worst England performance ever?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stevetrom, Nov 18, 2004.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Can anyone remember a worse performance by an England team than last night ?
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Nuff Said!
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

I honestly don't care about the result - and not just because I'm Welsh ;)

The real loser last night was football.

To have the sort of racist chanting that happened last night occur in a 'civilised' country and by so-called 'civilised' people was an absolute disgrace and something has to be done now. It should not be happening. Period.

And whilst I'm talking about disgraceful behaviour, I have to mention Wayne Rooney. Yes, he's a hot-head, yes he has a nasty edge to his game, yes he is still young. But all these factors do not excuse him for taking off his armband (which was being worn in memory of an ex-England captain who could show Rooney a thing or two about how to act gracefully) - and throwing it on the floor in disgust and anger at being taken off. A selfish, spoilt brat, who seriously needs to grow up - and fast - before his career is finished prematurely by his own stupidness. The FA should throw the back at him because of that imho - but we all know that won't happen - he'll probably get awarded the captaincy for the next match. :rolleyes:
  4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

The behaviour of certain English players and Spanish fans was disgraceful. Terrible game and I fear a lot of emnity has been built up here.
  5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I couldn't believe what I was watching last night.England players that patently could not be bothered , with a petulant display from Rooney that left me speechless frankly.If that had been a serious game then the chances are we would have been down to 9 men by half time.Just what got into Rooney's mind is beyond me.
    The spanish fans were a disgrace , but it seems that UEFA tend to turn a blind eye to this sort of carry-on unless English fans are involved.
    To be perfectly honest , since I've started playing rugby again over the last couple of years I have started losing all enthusiasm for football - the gamesmanship and general neanderthal mentality of the game's "stars" is not only tolerated but seemingly rewarded by the FA - Beckham escapes any censure for his deliberate yellow card on Ben Thatcher because of "lack of evidence"- other than a confession on sky TV !!
    Want a real sporting occasion ? England v Boks on Saturday.It will be competitive and a hard contest , but with an element of sportsmanship that vanished from the "beautiful game" long ago.
  6. six pints

six pints Active Member

i didnt watch cos i was working, but saw the "highlights" (if you can call them that). An absolute disgarce from beginning to end.
  7. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

The England midfield were a disgrace. Why wasn't Downing ('Boro) not given a chance down the left? How about the number of times Beckham gave the ball away?

The biggest downer all game was all the chanting from the Spanish, shambolic.
  8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Yup, Uefa is a joke, they are so biased towards anyone other than England. Imagine if the behaviour that goes on in Turkey was in England, imagine if the horrific racism and corruption that blight the Italian league was in England? Its ridiculous. I remember when the Toon played Inter at the San Siro in the Champions League (And should have got a draw, ref was clearly bribed, Dyer was never offside), the Inter "fans" threw a flare into the Newcastle fans. Uefa did notice the incident. Their action? To investigate Newcastle for having a flare amongst their fans. A joke.

Perhaps this forthcoming game isn't the best examplefor sportsmanship. S Africa have one of the dirtiest packs around. I'm expecting a lot of niggling and some sinbinning!!! Will be a great match though.
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Whilst totally agreeing with your sentiment, I have to say that you must be REALLY young if you can't.
  10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Why thank you, I was 39 yesterday!

I really do find it hard to remember a worse performance (ok it was only a friendly) by a team that should do so much better.

Robinson/Kirkland - good young keepers

G.Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole - all at top clubs and (Terry apart) experienced at top level

Beckham, Butt, Lampard, Bridge - Bridge good experience again and Lampard highly rated

Owen, Rooney - should be quality

No apparent weaknesses but still a terrible display.

If you can remember a worse one (I know the memory starts to go when you get old) what was it?
  11. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

I'm afraid I gave up with watching England friendly's years ago.

Unfortunately the hype generated by the various elements of the media lead to the masses beleiving England are any good.

People come on and say....yes but are defence is second to none and we have three world class midfielders and then of course there Rooney.

Who's told you this? Why its the media again................

England are miles behind technically and as we know hard work andthe great british spirit is long gone.

Up agaianst quality opposition Spain, Portugal, Brazil we are found out

So lets get some realism back into things
  12. three world class midfielders? - lies all lies

two? yes definately

Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard

Beckham - pants never been any good he just tried really hard so everyone thought he was awesome.

happily i missed the game last night and only saw a bit of the highlights.
  13. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Any of the matches under Graham 'Turnip' Taylor :ranting2: :ranting2:
  14. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

When are we British soccer fans going to realise that having the most exciting, most competitive (Premier) league in the World does not mean that the English(British) players are as good as or better than the Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc.

If you watch football on Sky you see that the other leagues are nowhere near as exciting but all players, from defenders to attackers (and even goalkeepers) are patient and comfortable in posession. The defenders will pass the ball amongst themselves awaiting an opening to move forward or pass to a player in space. The forwards will beat a defender but if there is no opening will play back to midfield or defence to start again.

Even the top foreign players in our league get out of their good habits. For example, Thierry Henry is not as effective for France as Arsenal.

To get back on subject, what was the point? Why play your 'first choice' team when club managers did not want the players to take part and these players were not really interested. It was an ideal opportunity to play Glen Johnson, Stuart Downing, Shaun Wright-Phillips ( from the start), Carlton Cole, Jermaine Defoe and others.

A woeful match for all reasons!
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Could not agree anymore.

It was sheer C**P.I saw the first half that was enough.
    I have to be up for work early in mornings, from what i saw i did not even bother to video the 2nd half,looking at the reports on here and on the news and papers i did not miss anything.
  16. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I could say that that didn't help them much last Saturday, but I'll be magmanimous in victory. (especially as that try was well dodgy!)
  17. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I couldn't agree more.
    My only active interest in football these days is via a (highly competitive) fantasy football league. I gave up on the over-paid, over-hyped, under-achieving footballers long ago. How someone can be paid a five figure sum A WEEK and can only kick a ball with one foot is a scandal. Have they ever heard of practice?
  18. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Sven Goran Eriksson's excuse for England playing badly: "It was too competative"
    Any squad of any sport playing any match should go out there to try and win. If they don't want to be competative, then they may as well not have bothered.

I think that Rooney's petulance in the 1st half and the racial abuse in the 2nd half were linked. The Spanish fans saw how much a short fuse that the England players had, and used that to get at the 'black' players more to try and cause the squad to snap in a similar way.

It was a bad day for football generally and I hope that the Spaniads get a reasonable penalty for their fans actions in both the senior & U21 games.