worst case scenario's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 1alexm, Feb 22, 2006.

1. 1alexm

1alexm Member

What is the worst thing that could happen during a concert, stands/music falling for example?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Getting half way through the first piece and realising you are naked. :eek:

Oh no hang on, that only happens in recurring nightmares ;)
  3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Coming up to a big solo in a piece, and middle valve sticking down solid!
    OR starting the concert only to realise you have left the mouthpiece in your case
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've actually done that - well, to be more precise I dropped it on the way to the stage without noticing - until I tried to make my first entry....:oops: In a band that wouldn't matter too much, but this was a quintet! Nowhere to hide at all! :biggrin:
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- conductor falling off the stage? (happened once with a band I played for years ago! :D ).
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's just too many!! :oops:
    Leaving the 4th valve locked down on euph...
    Trombone falling apart when I put a mute in...
    On a tiered stage, knocking my stand and all my music over the heads of the row in front...

At least I can play the blonde card! :lol:
  7. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Funny you should say that... that happened earlier today :-? Imagine trying to play the cornet parts to Riverdance and Gaelforce with no functional second valve. :(
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That actually happened to your dad when we were at Cambridge Heath together: we were in a small hall with a tiny platform, and the only access was from the back of the stage - had to wait while the mouthpiece was collected before we could start ;)
  9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Oh the shame!
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Peter Read used to tell a story of a certain Band he was in on a Tour, during which they did a concert at a Nudist Camp.

Lots of consternation within the Band, who eventually decided they were going to 'do it'. At that time they started the concerts from behind closed curtains....they opened with the Band wearing the comedy dickie bows only...to an audience in full evening dress :D

Urban myth or not?? It was funny when he told it ;)
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

A few years ago a band at the North West Area took the stage with only half of their players; the rest, due to a miscommunication about the "meeting up time", were still enjoying the delights of the Pleasure Beach. I've also heard of a band (although this may be an urban myth) that arrived at a contest and, having drawn late, went in to listen to the first band. Only then did they discover that they had been rehearsing the wrong test-piece for 2 months.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Playing horn in a solo contest and the second valve slide fell out during one of the variatons. Didn't help having shortened interludes for piano between each movement! :redface:
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

Getting on stage at a 10-year anniversary concert of your band, who have spent a small fortune booking a decent choir and producing commemerative programmes, only to realise that your music is still in the warm-up room. It HAS happened.

Trombone trigger coming off and locking in "F" for the rest of the concert, causing you to have to transpose to programme. It HAS happened!!!
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Turning up to a march with only half a trombone - the other half left at home in a different gig bag?
  15. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

My first Band arrangement. I was 14. I was soooo concentrating on getting all the chords right that I actually forgot to score the melody line!
  16. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I once drove 60 miles to do a concert only to open the boot and find no Trombone. :oops:

We had a good one, or not, at a recent concert where we opened up with Gordon Jacob's Fanfare and National Anthem staged around a balcony. The Trombones were with the 2nd/3rd Cornets but someone managed to knock the music off the stands just before we started. After hastily picking it up we signalled to the MD we were ready but what followed was trully horrendous! The Bass Trombone was playing the 3rd Cornet part and vice versa and it sounded dreadful! :biggrin:
  17. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Well one recent situation was during an own choice contest we arrived and were in the warm up room when our solo horn player realised he had forgotten his music. Now in a normal contest we could have borrowed the music cause everyone was playing the same but caue it was own choice we began to panic! The piece was the Plantagenents. Luckily we hastily wrote out the solo parts and he said he would just have to remember the rest.

Another one which happened me was during our summer school end of week concert i had three just stand up face the crowd solos one was vitae lux which went brilliant despite been the longest the next was aspects of lloyd webber the cornet solo int hat which also went well and it was the second longest and the the small solo in yesterday once more but it went pear shaped here with no music and this was by far the shortest solo i had to remember i forgot the notes half way through so what could i do i let on i ment to do that shrugged my shoulders and sat down! Nightmare:oops:
  18. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

I once saw a big LSO Brass concert at the Barbican. The whole ensemble walked on stage, sat down etc.... then Maurice Murphy got up, walked off stage and came back on stage a few moments later.... with his trumpet!!!! He had forgotten to take it onstage with him!!:D
  19. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Conductor falling off the stage?
    Percussionists falling off the back of the stage?

I believe it was 2 years ago in the Northern area contest when Durham Constabulary Band were drawn number 1 and had to sit on stage for 20 minutes before they could begin their performance due to a roller disco taking place in the hall above the stage.
  20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Getting halfway through a royal parks job to see a parket warden ticketing. We HAD permission to park next to the bandstand, but he wouldn't have it.

Cue 11 players and the conductor leaving the bandstand to try and find alternative parking in the Greenwich Park area.

DP stepped in and conducted the rest. He didn't drive in those days!