Worst/ Best Uniforms!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScreamingSop, Oct 7, 2004.

1. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

May have been done but i thought id start a thread on what the worst and best concert jackets that youve seen!
    Must say i think Dykes are the nicest
    something orange and green would be the worst!

JOCKBLAST! Member

Desfords purples were disgusting!!
    I know I wore it often enough!!!
    When a band plays that well though you can almost forgive it!!
    Call the fashion police.
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

OOO they're trying (and failing) to emulate the Super_Sop effect!!!:shock:

I like the Scottish Co-Op Band's uniforms - very nice and no braid in sight!!!
  5. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Sun Life's Mustard Monsterocities?
    Gotta agree with the Pink/Purple Desford jackets....
  6. brass journo

brass journo Member

Our new ones are good - similar to Scottish Co-op (due to the Co-op sponsoring us!) blue shirts but with plain black waistcoats (Scottish have tartan). you can see them at:
  7. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

I think the University of Oregon Marching Band uniforms are pretty much the worst out there right now...Sadly I can only find a small picture, but they have something on their heads like a bike helmet. Apparently designed by Nike, no less.

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

:shock::shock::shock: I'm glad I don't play in that band!
  9. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

I liked the Sun Life uniforms, because you knew who they were on stage, unlike todays standardised, same design uniforms. WHAT IS THE POINT.
    That is the worst thing, overpriced and cheap (not in price), everyone looks the same.
    I actually went to go on stage with another band once, because they had the same uniforms as us.
    I have been to contests where everyone looked as if they could play in a massed band, because of the same uniforms. RANT RANT.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I liked the look of the new BAYV uniforms at Birmingham - the red and gold combination may be a little on the bright side, but it did look impressive.
  11. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

The worst i've seen are for the percussion team at Sellers Youth ! the rest of the band wear Sellers blue but the Percussionist wear a colour between mustard, yellow and brown THEY'RE SICK (no pun intended !!)
  12. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

At least someone does! mmm... tartan. :rolleyes:
  13. Ali

Ali Member

When I used to play for Boarshurst, we used to wear Tango Orange jackets with brown lapels and brown cumerbunds. Tasteful to say the least!
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I remember reading about them when the first wore them. They were actually designed by Nike to match the football uniforms. Why you would want to make the band look like the football team, I don't know.
  15. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Must agree, waistcoats are the way forward. We at Dunfermline now wear black shirts and marroon waistcoats, much cooler when on stage!
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I hopelessly biased, but Wigstons are pretty nice - mid-blue shortish jackets (mess jackets?? I never know a mess jacket from a "monkey" jacket) with silver braid on the shoulders and around the collar. Not too fussy, not too plain. And they're nice and light too which means less sweat during concerts...(You can see them on the home page of our website - but the photo doesn't show them that well so you'll have to take my word for it!!)

But I reckon Dyke's are probably the nicest I've seen.

Of the worst...hmmm anyone remember the old William Davis Construction Group band from a few years ago? Horrid mustard yellow! Bleugh! Or the Leyland (?) white DJ's from ages ago - they'd look great on a tall slim adonis (so I'm told :p ) but on a fat, balding, sweaty bandsman???:shock:
  17. JR

JR Member

bad uniforms

Couldnt resist this one - anyone remember the all brown suit-like garbs of the Sirdar (Wakefield) band in the late 70s?

Kippax followed suit (sorry) with a similar shade around the same time

Yorks Imps spent most of the late 70s and the entire next decade clad in light-blue suits, blue shirts with detachable frilly fronts and giant velvet dickie-bows

The old Stanshawe/William Davis yellow would have to get my vote for worst closely disputed by Hanwell when they used to sport their pinkish/puce jackets - a classic of the genre...

john r
  18. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

We still wear those. As for being fat balding and sweaty, I resemble that remark!!!
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

:lol: I must say at this point that that comment wasn't aimed personally at any of the fine individuals of Leyland Band (hello Dan!!!) I was mearly speaking hyperthetically....:)
  20. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I have to say the old Point of Ayr uniforms 1980 - 1988 we a bit cheeky , beige and brown were the colours..glad to say I never had to wear these , the monkey jackets( black jackets blue lapels and cuffs , gold braiding on the back and a black and gold EIMCO badge) and trousers which replaced them have been seen worn by other bands around the north west :( were a lot better.
    check out the beaumaris band website (www.beaumarisband.org.uk) we have some pictures of our new offstage suit , a black suit with a black shirt and a welsh Dragon badge. really smart from the old blue blazer grey trousers combo...