world's best sound?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by marksmith, Jun 9, 2010.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Is the 'British Brass Band' sound, still the best in the world?
    Recent contest results are suggesting that this may not now be the case.
    What do you think?
    Which band has consistently produced the best sounds over the years, in your opinion?

2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

HIstorically it has to be Black Dyke?

Consistently in the top bands for decades!

3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

For me it has to be Fodens - a consistently warm and huge and sound with enormous attention to detail. :clap:
    Dyke's far too hard on the ears for me, but Cory is another band with a big warm sound. :D
    I love Grimey for entertainment value but, again, the sounds too hard for me. Each to their own..

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

YBS..
    Never heard another band with that sort of breadth in the middle and lower sections.

5. simonium

simonium Member

Any band with Lyndon Baglin and / or Derek Jackson in. I'm also very partial to YBS and the David King era Black Dyke.

6. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I like the Lyndon Baglin link, as I agree that a sound like his makes all the difference.
    I once had a recording of Sun Life/Stanshawe, mostly Vinter pieces, the sounds in the band were enormous. Baglin was their Solo Euph and at his prime. Superb!

7. bannisa

bannisa Member

Grimethorpe of course!!

Not that I'm biased in any way!!! lol

Andrew Bannister
    Assistant Principal Cornet
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band

8. _si

_si Member

John Clough era Dyke :)

9. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Wrong way round I think, especially at last years British Open.
    Cory made your ears bleed! Still, the adjudicators liked it.:dunno
    The box must have been lead lined. :biggrin:

10. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Well under recording circumstances for me it's YBS. When every band was recording Shine as the Light. They had be best version. I still listen to that CD regularly on my Ipod and must be going on 10 years old.

These days right now at this moment. I could not say, I've not been to any contests for some time to measure them up. I do tend to favour the Black Dyke sound at the moment.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Brass Band
    best sounds
    world
    years
    Recent contest results
  12. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Why is it, that people still like the parkinsons vibrato? I hate it! Yes, in it's time it was the thing to do and was th fashion (within brass bands). Mullet hair-do's and tank-tops were in style then too.......can you see my point?

13. For me Brass Band Willebroek and potentially other Belgium bands produce the best sound. Its all about colour and depth, they seem to get the mix right over there.

Bands that play as straight as a ruler don't appeal to me at all, it needs colour!! Thats just my opinion. Playing in a brass band requires a different sort of playing to that in an orchestra or small ensemble, completely different.

Matt

14. ericthered

ericthered Member

For me it's the top British bands...Grimey, Dyke, YBS of old etc.

Brass Band Oberosterreich are technically brilliant when they play stuff you can hear the notes. At Stavanger Euros in 2008 there own choice had too much going on.

The Norwegian bands have a weak sound and are more a brass ensemble (everything mf but in its place...well they try). They seemed scared to use any power and when they do it goes nasty rather than big.

15. ericthered

ericthered Member

- you're a trumpet player...come on change the record.

16. simonium

simonium Member

I have the Sun Life Triple CD which has all the Vinter pieces and his sound is huge, especially in Variations On A Ninth and Spectrum. When I listen to alternative recordings there seems to be something missing. Inspirational stuff.

17. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I couldn't agree more.

Anyone dissing vibrato - how do you express yourself/show warmth?
    Brass Band instruments were designed to accommodate vibrato. If you can't hear it's value, then I am surprised.
    I play euphonium (have done for 42 years), the only time I cringe at hearing the euph' sound, is when it is totally 'straight' (usually up-start ex-cornet/horn players who think that the euphonium is a good option when they become bored!) It is a sin - (and against the law) to play euphonium with no vibrato!
    'Blasters' of the world, take note!

On the 'best sound' point, I have a recording of Cory (Brass from the Valleys), Baglin again makes all the difference to the overall sound. It would be a hard-sounding band without his input on that one. Saying that, they are not doing too badly for themselves these days!:clap:

18. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

The best sounding band I have ever heard would be Faireys of the early to mid 1990's. YBS were just too vibby for me.

Jeremy

19. simonium

simonium Member

I believe that the early 1990s Fairey Band boasted a certain Mr D Jackson in the bass section too.

20. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Really?

I thought that vib was something the player controlled and should be able to switch off, or on to the level required by the music. Vib isn't expression, it's a decoration (rather than it being a function of the instrument). Vib in brass band playing I think originates from the early days where most music available was classical transcriptions. The players of the day merely copied what the opera singers of the day were doing.

I don't think you can say who has the best sound.. each era has it's own sound, entirely dependant on the bore / quality (in terms of being able to control intonation) of the instruments available.

"best" sound / player etc will always be subjective.

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

No harm in the use of vibrato when it is appropriate to the music, controlled and tastefully applied; the "sin" is in being unable to turn it off when required.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Brass Band
    best sounds
    world
    years
    Recent contest results