World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by rutty, Feb 10, 2005.

1. rutty

rutty Active Member

Anyone else going to be playing this once the servers come on-line tomorrow? My disks should arrive in the post in the morning and I may be able to fit a couple of hours of MMORPG heaven inbetween work, band and a late lunch with a nice lady friends.

Am I the only sad one?

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I got an e-mail saying it was being dispatched yesterday (a copy each so we don't fight over it), so it won't probably arrive until next week (unfortunately). Our internet connection is a bit dodgy just now, so we're also in the process of improving that - let us know what it's like!

:biggrin:

3. rutty

rutty Active Member

I played the final Beta (for free) for a week up until Monday when they turned off the servers. They had a special event that day and I took some screenies - take a look:

http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=10

The images are very large if you click on the gallery image (1280x1024). It looks amazing and I got hopelessly addicted over the week that I got to play it. Here's a big elemental beast:

[​IMG]

I'll let you know what server I get on, then you two can join the same one so I can kick your butts ;)

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

My other half has been playing on the American servers since it came out in the US. He seems really impressed with it. Computer games are not my thing though!

5. rutty

rutty Active Member

I'm on the Stormrage server and have two characters at the moment, a level 12 Night Elf Warrior called Tinkle and a level 5 Night Elf Druid called Ayehateyew - if there is anyone else out there in tMP land playing this excellent game then feel free to seek me out :)

Yes, I am that sad ;)

6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've been looking at all the races and classes in anticipation of the game(s) actually arriving and our broadband connection getting sorted out so that we have a reliable connection before signing up and potentially wasting our 30 days . My first character is going to be a Night Elf Druid, so if you have any tips Rutty, let me know!

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Some hints! apparently it might be a good idea to take skinning and mining as your primary professions to help make money (selling leather and metals on the auction house). Herbalism and alchemy are okay, the rest are expensive.

8. rutty

rutty Active Member

Druids are a good all-round class. They do a bit of everything - casting, healing and fighting - but not as well as any of the other "pure" classes like Priest, Warrior or Mage. It's a lot of fun when you get to change into a bear and, later on, some sort of cat.

Skinning/leatherwork is a good combo for a Druid as you can either earn money from the skins or you can make your own leather patches for armour which you can apply to your own armour or sell to other players.

I've also heard that herbalism/alchemy is a good combo as you can make your own "buffs" or healing potions etc, and also herbalism/enchantment. Unfortunately I didn't really have much time to experiment during the beta with the trades but learning all the nuances of the game is part of the fun :)

A hunter/druid combo is a good duo if you're thinking of playing at the same time. They're both hybrid builds and as a hunter can tame a beast for a "pet" you'll actually have three is your party. That's what a mate at work and myself are doing.

Now, let's hope it doesn't interfere with home practise ;)

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I got a reminder today of how unreliable our connection is when it went down again for no apparent reason. I wish the engineer would hurry up and test the landline so we can get "proper" ADSL sorted out!

It's going to be hard not to just start playing anyway, but I know I'll just get frustrated and feel that there's no value for money if the connectivity isn't there to play it enough.

How many hours do most people put in per day on average? When you and your friend are teaming up, do you agree to play at the same times all the time, or do you play solo when he/she isn't around?

Home practise is not affected by gaming, honest ;)!

10. rutty

rutty Active Member

There are plenty of saddos on there that don't seem to do anything else, but I'll possibly get in 2 or 3 hours after work tonight before I go to bed, plus maybe another couple in the morning before I go to work (on the late shift this week). I'll probably tone it down a bit once the newness of it has worn off.

Check out these maps:
    http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/kalimdorcont.php
    http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/easterncont.php

The Azaroth is absolutely enormous! I've read somewhere that if you tried to walk North to South on either major continent then it would take you about 6 hours! Imagine how much potential gameplay there is here, especially when you can get different quests with different races and different classes.

My mate and I have arranged to play tonight as a duo - we're working the same shift pattern so we can fit it in that way. If he's not about I'll play with my Warrior, which I'll solo with, but there are always lots of other players in the game that will group with you on certain quests - some quests are just too hard to do on your own and grouping up is essential, so it's actually quite a sociable game in reality, even if you can't tell who it is you're really playing with.

It's a lot of fun, but quite time consuming. I'm lucky in that I have plenty of free time and I can spend it how I like :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    World of Warcraft
    game
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

For those gripped by our exploits in the world of Azaroth, here's a screenshot of Flugalgal and myself standing under the moonlit sky of the town of Auberdine:

[​IMG]

It's a class game :)

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

whats the general gist of it?
    purely online i take it?

14. rutty

rutty Active Member

Yes, you play on one of a number of different servers within the European domain. It's a fantasy Role Playing Game where you create a character from one of eight different races who can be from one of nine different classes (Mage, Warrior, Priest etc). The idea is to run around improving your character's stats, getting more skills and nicer kit by doing quests and killing stuff, or even each other.

The game is absolutely enormous - if you think that the gameworlds are big in Half Life 2 and the like, then they're nothing like the same scale. I must have been playing this game for about 20 hours already (if not more) and I've only discovered about 1% of the whole world.

It's very addictive and totally immersive. I get the impression that both Flugalgal and Keppler are rather impressed too (they've both nearly caught me up and I had a week's start on them). It should keep me going for months and months :)

15. As an Everquest 2 head (currently running a Level 35 Wizard and a Level 20 Templar on the Splitpaw server) I've been following the development of WoW with much interest. I'd be interested in any opinions on how the 2 games actually compare from anyone whos played both. WoW does look pretty sweet though and seeing as Sony are doing their level best to ruin EQ2 by foisting dreaded timesinks upon as with every patch then I may soon be looking for an alternative.

16. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Eek! Now the whole world has seen my bum and the size of my ears! ;)

Seriously, great game - I'm about to go in there for my daily dose....

:biggrin:

17. rutty

rutty Active Member

Can't say I've ever played Everquest, but from some of the comlaints that have been made on the official forums it would appear that WoW is possibly aimed more at the casual user. Not so much of the "grinding" to level up apparently. It suits me though :)

18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

mine comes tomorrow.. see you around ;)

19. rutty

rutty Active Member

You've got some catching up to do :D

If you join the Stormrage server we'll be able to come and watch you die ;)

20. Can't say I've ever played Everquest, but from some of the comlaints that have been made on the official forums it would appear that WoW is possibly aimed more at the casual user. Not so much of the "grinding" to level up apparently. It suits me though

Cheers mate, grinding can be a major pita to be honest so sounds like WoW may be well worth a dabble :p

21. rutty

rutty Active Member

Have a read through the unofficial forums - they're very busy and you might get an idea of what to expect:

http://www.rpgforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You can only post in the official forums if you've got an account, which sucks the big one IMHO. Plus, it's bugged at the moment and my account is coming up with "anonymous" there due to there being an issue with the server I'm on.

It's a class game for sure :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    World of Warcraft
    game