World of Brass Tunes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by John Brooks, Feb 27, 2013.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone else is having login problems with the new WOB Tunes website? I've tried resetting my password; cleared cookies as suggested by Support but still can't log in. Am I alone or is this more widespread? Thanks!

2. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

I've had the same sort of problems. Emailed for support last night and not had a reply yet, but I suppose it's the weekend.

3. nighttempla

nighttempla New Member

I wondered if anyone else had been having these issues. If so, have they managed to sort it out?

I have emailed the technical support 3 times. Each time they have replied with a solution which has not worked. Now they are just ignoring me.

4. John Brooks

5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

It let me log in, and indeed buy tracks. However, I now cannot download one of the CDs I bought, and subsequently it won't allow me to log in.

Properly unimpressed, as I need those tracks for an assignment. And having paid for them, I sort of expected to be able to use them.

6. euphoria

euphoria Member

I have no problem logging in and getting access to my previously bought albums.
    I did have som problems in the weekend, but it seemed to me like a bandwidth problem on the server end (I had no problems with other sites at the time).

Hope you get your music soon.

Erik

7. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Adequate customer service being trumped by the need to make money to finance the outreach of a religious body perhaps?

8. euphoria

euphoria Member

Yes World of Brass is an evil organisation trying to impose their dark and sinister views of the world on innocent brass players, when other more altruistic organisations such as Apple delivers music to the world for free - NOT.

I do believe you have the option not to support the dark lords of World of Brass - just don't buy their music!

Erik

9. simonium

simonium Member

Apple want to make money. Full stop. The SA have a religious motivation. I see a slight difference.

10. euphoria

euphoria Member

Are you really suggesting that World of Brass should offer the music to us without making a profit on it?

Erik

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Tunes
    WOB Tunes
    Support
    new WOB Tunes website
    cookies
  12. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

From what`s been said on here a little less profit and a bit more investment in customer service might be in order.

13. euphoria

euphoria Member

I agree that if you run a bussiness you should be judged by how well you run your bussiness, no matter what you plan to do with the profits. If customer service is poor they should improve it - likewise if bandwidth is a problem on their World of Brass Tunes site , they should improve it.

What I can't get my head around is the notion, that they should sell their products below market value just because they are a religious organisation. When I buy an album from them, I appreciate that I get a product that I choose myself (and cheaper than if I buy the album in a shop on a CD). I don't care if part of what I pay for that music goes to spreading the gospel or helping people in need or whatever it is that the SA are doing.

That being said I would not buy music or other products from people I don't agree with, but that is my choice, and I respect if you choose not to support the SA by not buying from World of Brass.

Erik

14. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Has anyone said that Erik?

15. euphoria

euphoria Member

Hi Ian

I have possibly read something into your previous statement that you didn't mean. I understand that they can also get lesser profit by increasing the cost of customer service for instance, but I trust we are in agreement that they are just as entitled to make a profit as any other company regardless of what they intend to do with that profit.

Regards Erik

16. simonium

simonium Member

No, I am suggesting I do not like giving my money to an organisation with religion at its core. There is little competition so I don't have much choice.

17. euphoria

euphoria Member

I understand your point of view Simon.
    I don't know if WoB produces the albums of Black Dyke or Cory for instance, or if they are merely retailers of the products. It they are only retailers you can surely buy the albums directly from the bands websites or from other brass pushers.

Regards Erik

18. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Although I'm generally not a fan of organised religion, I would much prefer any profits generated by a company I buy from go to 'good works' than merely generating more profit. It's blatantly possible to disagree with their religious views but to agree with their morals, isn't it?

19. simonium

simonium Member

Yes it is. But WoB aside, where I am going to buy Dyke CDs as they're produced by Doyen who have an exclusive agreement with WoB? If I buy them anywhere I'm still helping to fund a religious organisation. A company running purely for profit is more agreeable to me than a company with a religious modus operandi.

20. John Brooks

If you feel that strongly about religion then why not buy from Midland or one of the other retailers (there are several). I don't know the details of the arrangement between Doyen and WoB but suspect it's the marketing and distribution that is under WoB. You just have to buy the CD since I'm pretty sure it's the download aspect that is not available outside the WoB organization for some (most?) of the recordings (similarly, not all recordings are available for download via WoB or anywhere - I believe Polyphonic and Obrasso are two examples).

For my part, I've been a serious collector of brass band recordings for over fifty years. Most of that time making purchases from Canada and having to pay high postage and packing costs as well as duties and taxes. The innovation of WoB and subsequently WoB Tunes made my hobby a whole lot easier and less expensive. Prior to that it was often difficult just to hear about new recordings! The Internet started to help but there was still no single source where most CD's could be looked at and purchased. I believe it was Trevor Caffull who first saw the potential. It's very much a niche market and those of us who buy recorded music as well as those bands and individuals (eg: soloists; composers) who make recordings to raise / make money need to keep that in mind.

Yes, WoB is a business operation run by a religious and social organization. So what? All businesses make a profit; that's their reason for being in business. If you don't like the religious aspect of WoB consider also that their social programs also support the less fortunate of society globally. At least you know where WoB profits go; unlike most other businesses. How do you know that "Brass Band CD Emporium" (I just made that up and hope their isn't a company out there by that name!!) doesn't support any other organized religion? The fact is, you don't!

If that still doesn't suit you then, as suggested, simply buy your music from one of the other retailers or the individual bands in the blind hope that their profits aren't going to support an organization (religious or otherwise) that, if you knew about it, would cause you to ask similar questions.

I hope this helps clarify some of the issues in this debate.

21. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

As an ex-Salvationist with no axe-to-grind, (honestly) SP&S has been a source of contention and mickey-taking WITHIN that particular organisation for more years than I care to remember. If you think that WOB, a division of SP&S, with all its short comings is anywhere near as bad as their ill-fitting uniform department, then there is little wonder that they are reduced to wandering around in sweat shirts and hush puppies. You should rejoice in the fact that WOB, in spite of it's rather hit and miss technical support does generally offer a much better service than many similar non religiously -connected organisations.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Tunes
    WOB Tunes
    Support
    new WOB Tunes website
    cookies