World of Brass Rankings; pro-Welsh bias?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Ex-Pat BBb, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Ex-Pat BBb

Ex-Pat BBb New Member

I've just been looking at Paddy's latest prices for the finals and he's mentioned The World of Brass World Rankings for the first time.

Have a look guys, 1st section City of Cardiff nowhere in the betting but are apparently ranked 3rd of the finalists and guess what, Pontardulais (even further back down the betting) are ranked 4th.

2nd Section, Llywdcoed are ranked AHEAD of South Yorkshire Police despite them being pretty well undisputed favs to win, the only other finalist in the rankings are (you guessed it) Welsh, Lewis Merthyr. Incidently both the Welsh bands are at best mid-table according to Paddy

Only one 3rd section band in the 'World's top-200', Goodwick Brass. I couldn't work out where they were from, I looked under North-West and then Midlands, thought I'd try Yorkshire and then the North. I should've known better of course because they are from....

(makes ya proud dunnit)
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The rankings' bias has always been in question...... have you really only just noticed?!
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Give it a rest...

Who cares.
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Any band that feels that they may be losing out on a contest invite due to the invites allegedly being handed out on the basis of rankings. Such bands will typically be the middle rank of the championship section in the less fashionable areas. Sound familiar?
  5. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

It's all a bit of a joke, world rankings?