World of Brass Gala Concert after British Open

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by WorldofBrass.com, Jun 4, 2004.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Following the announcement of the Test Piece choices for the 2004 British Open Championship, World of Brass are pleased to announce that we will presenting a Gala Concert on the evening of the contest.

Commencing at 8pm, the concert will feature the sumptuous combination of the reigning Yorkshire, All England Masters, British Open and European champions, Yorkshire Building Society Band, together with the Stavanger Brass Band (current Norwegian champions) specially brought to the UK for this concert.

Managing Director of World of Brass, Trevor Caffull, commented “It’s a real thrill to be presenting this Gala Concert. We’ve had great success with such concerts in the past, and this represents another creative step forward. The idea came initially from a discussion with Bram Gay about filming the British Open for a DVD production and grew from there. What can one say about YBS? They are certainly a phenomena right now, and will surely appeal to brass lovers of all tastes, whilst the stunning presentation of Stavanger make them a great draw. Their own unique combination of top class playing (they are current Norwegian Champions) and innovative stage presentation takes brass entertainment to a new level – anyone who hasn’t witnessed this incredible band really does need to be at the concert, they won’t disappoint!”

Speaking on behalf of YBS and Stavanger – he is engaged as Professional Conductor of both outfits – Professor David King remarked “It’s great to have been invited to be part of this World of Brass gala event. And what better way to celebrate this worldwide movement of ours than to bring in an overseas band such as Stavanger? I know the folks over there are really excited about this, and are looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere of the whole British Open weekend. For YBS it’s a thrill too – we have a great partnership with World of Brass and it’s good to be working with them on this project”.

Tickets for the concert are on sale now from the Symphony Hall Box Office on 0121 780 3333 or by clicking on this link;
    http://www.necgroup.co.uk/visitor/whatson/DisplayWhatsOn.asp?i=3427&sd=13.9.2004&ed=19.9.2004&p=1

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    World of Brass
    Brass Gala Concert
    Test Piece
    David King
    British
  3. WorldofBrass.com

Plans advancing for World of Brass Gala Concert

Plans are now at an advanced stage regarding the artistic design of World of Brass Gala Concert which takes place at Symphony Hall, Birmingham following the British Open Championship on Saturday 18th September commencing at 8pm.

The Gala Extravaganza will open with Yorkshire Building Society Band conducted by Professor David King who will perform the entire first half. Included in their programme will be the highly acclaimed Music of the Spheres, which the YBS Band performed in winning the Own Choice section of this year's European Championship in Glasgow.

The second half will see Stavanger Band performing a non-stop fully choreographed 50 minute spectacular including Symphonic Dances from Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story, with which they 'brought the house down' at the SIDDIS entertainment contest in Norway.

Further details of the programme content will be released shortly.

Tickets for the concert are on sale now from the Symphony Hall Box Office on 0121 780 3333 or online via this link;
    http://www.necgroup.co.uk/visitor/whatson/DisplayWhatsOn.asp?i=3427&sd=13.9.2004&ed=19.9.2004&p=1

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Will the DVD contain contest and concert clips?

5. WorldofBrass.com

That would be the intention.

6. jonford

jonford Member

This is probably a long shot but any estimation of what time the concert might finish? I really want to go but living in the manchester area I know this would mean getting a train and maybe an overnight stay or drive down which I don't really want to do. If I do decide to stay over does anyone know any cheap good hotels near the concert hall?

Or can anyone suggest an alternative idea!? :?

7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Looking at the information supplied it doesn't start till 8.00 p.m. so allowing for a 'normal' length first half, a 20 minute interval and then Stavenger's 50 minute second half I doubt whether you'll get away much before 10.30 p.m. (ish!)

Try here for accommodation:

http://www.uk-hotel-accommodation.co.uk/England/West_Midlands/Birmingham/index.cfm?sortorder=ASC

There's lots of hotels in the vicinity of the Concert Hall and I'm sure there will be others looking for an overnight stay, so it might be worth 'doubling' up to save on the costs.

:wink:

8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Or you could hot foot it down to Beaumaris to see Stavanger in Concert on Thursday 16th September..

9. jonford

jonford Member

Thanks for everyones help and ideas so far! I am (for some reason!) still interested in going, not sure about the gala concert yet as this would definatley involve an overnight stay. Anyone else staying over and recommend a hotel?

Also are tickets and will they still be readily available because I am still very unsure wether i'll be able to attend.

10. WorldofBrass.com

There are tickets available now but obviously I can't predict too accurately what availability will be like if you leave it to the last minute!

If you don't go, you will probably find yourself wishing that you had, once people who were there start talking about it.
    Last year, some of my friends said they 'might' go and hear the Clarence Adoo Band being conducted by Bram Tovey at Croydon Citadel. They didn't go but once they heard others talking about it starting saying 'I wish I had gone to that'!

11. WorldofBrass.com

YBS release programme for World of Brass Gala Concert

Yorkshire Building Society Band and their Professional Conductor, Professor David King have released details of their programme of music for the World of Brass Gala Concert which takes place at Symphony Hall, Birmingham following the British Open Championship on Saturday 18th September commencing at 8pm.

The Gala Extravaganza will open with Yorkshire Building Society Band conducted by Professor King who will perform the entire first half.
    Festival Impressions by Oliver Waespi will open the programme. Two of the finest brass band soloists will feature in the first half. Firstly, Yorkshire Building Society Band's fantastic virtuoso principal tenor horn Sheona White will perform Herman Bellstedt's Capriccio Brilliante and later in the programme soprano cornet megastar Peter Roberts will perform Memory from Cats.

Sandwiched between the two star soloists is Joseph Turrin's highly moving and emotional Hymn for Diana. To bring the first half to a atmospheric climax, Yorkshire Building Society Band will perform Music of the Spheres, which Professor King and the Band commissioned and performed in the Own Choice section of this year's European Championship in Glasgow when they famously retained their title.

Tickets for the concert are on sale now from the Symphony Hall Box Office on 0121 780 3333 or online from www.symphonyhall.co.uk/boxoffice.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    World of Brass
    Brass Gala Concert
    Test Piece
    David King
    British
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Am gutted to be missing this concert - a coach-load of us are coming up from Deiniolen for the contest, but the coach has to set off straight after the results. :twisted: Have something on, on the Sunday so can't stay over either. At least I can console myself that a DVD will be made of the evening!

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry, dyl, I'll tell you all about it :wink:

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Or here is an idea Dyl , you could come over to Beaumaris on Thursday 16th September and Listen to Stavanger in Concert... :D

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

Here's another idea Nick: don't hijack other people's threads, and use your own: http://www.themouthpiece.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9263 :p :wink:

Am planning on coming to the one on the 16th, so when you have more info please post them!

17. WorldofBrass.com

Just spotted this on 4BR, I can assure you I didn't put Ian up to it!
    http://www.4barsrest.com/comments/037.asp

Hot Norwegian action

Not being involved in banding on a regular basis at the moment, I'm really looking forward to 'The Open' weekend. Especially, I'm particularly excited about the appearance of Stavanger Brass Band in 'The World of Brass' concert on the Saturday evening.

Stavanger is a young band with a tremendous appetite for creativity. I haven't seen them perform live before but I've heard them on CD's and I've also seen some of their amazing and superbly choreographed performances on DVD. I've no doubt that I'm going to be knocked out by their performance at Symphony Hall and I'd encourage anyone who is free that night to get along and hear them. You wont be disappointed and every bander who sees them, I'm convinced will go back to their own bands with their imaginations on fire and encouraging their own MD's and colleagues to take the plunge and try something a little bit different, something a little bit Stavanger!

I've never felt moved to 'promote' a concert or brass band event in this way before but I believe that this particular band's originality and passionate desire to entertain warrants every encouragement - I really hope the brass band public turns out in their hundreds to hear them. Oh, and rumour has it, the warm up band aren't bad either!!

Ian Brownbill

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  18. WorldofBrass.com