World Music Contest Kerkrade: Official thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jan H, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

In little over a week, it's once again time for the most prestigious wind, brass and marching band event in the Benelux: the World Music Contest Kerkrade. Organised once every four years and with participating bands from all over the world, many peopel consider this contest to be the "Olympic Games" of the banding world. Certainly in the Netherlands and Belgium it is the single most important event that a lot of the top bands look forward to every four years.

The WMC lasts for weeks. In the weekends, there are contests for marching and show bands, wind and fanfare bands (the "concert contests"), percussion ensembles, a conductors competition and of course the first "World Brass Band Championship", organised in cooperation with the EBBA. During the week several high profile concerts are organised by famous bands and ensembles from all over the globe. More information about the contests and concerts can be found on http://www.wmc.nl

The WMC takes place in Kerkrade, a city in the South-East of Holland, in the province of Limburg, not so far from Maastricht and the borders with Germany and Belgium. The Dutch province of Limburg is considered to be the "Mecca" of wind and fanfare bands in Holland. Every little village has it's own outstanding wind or fanfare band and for almost all people, music is an improtant part of life (it could e considered to be the Yorkshire of Holland ;) )

Since this is a brass band forum, I will focus a little on the brass abnd part of the WMC. Although brass bands have always taken part in the WMC, right from the first edition somewhere in the 1950's, they have always been considere to be a little bit like the "little brother" in the contest. The main focus has traditionally been on the wind band and fanfare band contests. In the last couple of editions, the organisers have been trying to increase the level of the brass band contest. This time this resulted in the organisation of the first "official" World Brass Band Championship in cooperation with the EBBA.

In the Championship Section of the Brass Band Contest (formerly called "concert division", like in the other contests), 7 bands representing 3 continents finaaly committed to taking part in the contest:

Brass Band Willebroek (B)
    Provinciale Brass Band Groningen (NL)
    National Brass Band of New-Zealand (NZ)
    Brass Band Chicago (USA)
    Reg Vardy Band (UK)
    Brass Band 13 Etoiles (CH)
    Brass Band Buizingen (B)

The National Band of Australia was also foreseen to take part, but they had to pull out due to organisational problems. Other invited bands from Scotland, Wales, Norway and Denmark did not accept their invitations.

On Saturday 9th July, the particpants will perform a set piece, a new work by Philip Wilby called "Music for the Moving Image". On Sunday 10th July, the second part of the contest will consist of each band performing an own choice program of about 30-40 minutes (including a solo item) There will be a draw on both days of the contest. For the test piece, the three adjudicators (David Read, James Curnow and Maurice Haemers) will be in a closed box, for the own choice program, the adjudicators (Torgny Hanson, Armin Bachmann and Jan Van der Roost) will be open. Also the own choice programs of all participants are published in advance. Oh, and the winner will get a 3500 euro cash price...

Besides the Championship section, there are also contests for 1st, 2nd and 3rd section bands (Or 1st, 2nd and 3rd "division" as they are called in Holland). Particpants in these divisions play a set piece and an own choice piece (consecutively). This are the particpants as listed on the WMC website (own choice piece between brackets):

1st division (9 july)
    Set piece: Trittico (James Curnow)

Askoy Brass band (N) (Forest of Dean - Derek Bourgeois)
    Brass Band Province de Liege (B) (James Cook Circumnavigator - Gilbert Vinter)
    Regionale Spijkerpakkenband Opsterland (NL) (Spectrum - Gilbert Vinter)
    Delta Brass Zeeland (NL) (Forest of Dean - Derek Bourgeois)
    The Ratby Cooperative Band (UK) (Of Men and Mountains - Edward Gregson)
    Brass Band Merum (NL) (A London Ouverture - Philip Sparke)

2nd division (9 july)
    set piece: Music for Thanksgiving (Kenneth Downie)

Shirland W.T. BAND (UK) (Verona Lights - Bruce Fraser)
    Greenalls Brass Band (UK) (Variations for Brass Band - Ralph Vaughan Williams)
    Brassband Schoonhoven B (NL) (Firestorm - Stephen bulla)
    St. George Brass Band Mons (B) (The Plantagenets - Edward Gregson)
    Mercator Brass (B) (Excalibur - Jan Van der Roost)
    Vaerloese Garden (DK) (Dimensions - Peter Graham)
    Chr. Brassband Pro Rege A (NL) (Renaissance - Peter Graham)
    Folkwang Brass Band (D) (Shine as the Light - Peter Graham)
    Brass Band Bacchus (B) (Credo - Lorne Barry)

3rd division
    (10 july)
    set piece: Hinemoa (Gareth Wood)

Brass Band Euterpe (B) (A Cambrian Suite - Michael Ball)
    Cologne Concert Brass (D) (Laude - James Curnow)
    Smithills School Senior Brass Band (UK) (A Cambrian Suite - Michael Ball)
    Torsby Brass (SW) (Variations on Laudate Dominum - Edward Gregson)

(the lower sections will be judged by the same three adjudicators as for the Championship section on their respective days of participation)

Good luck to all participants!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jan, thanks for the update. I heard the National Band of New Zealand on Tuesday night and they were playing very well. Should be a good contest.

I've headed this as the Official Thread, so that anything from now on is kept together. I'll also Stick it until the festival is over.

3. Jan H

Thanks Peter.
    New Zealand played a concert last evening close to were I live yesterday, but unfortuantely I couldn't attend. We had a rehearsal yesterday with our band for our own participation in Kerkrade, on July 15th in the Concert Division for Fanfare Bands.

But I will be in the Rodahal on July 10th, to listen to the own choice programs. I've aleady been informed that a number of other tMP'ers will be there as well, so hopefully I can meet them all!

4. Jan H

Own Choise Programs as published in the official WMC program book:
    (although there might be mistakes in it because bands could still change their programs after submitting an initial program)

Brass Band Willebroek (B)
    Intrada 'Ein' Feste Burg' (Farr)
    The Call of the Righteous (Condon)
    Caprice (Woodfield) (euphonium soloist Stef Pillaert)
    Music of the Spheres (Sparke)

Provinciale Brass Band Groningen (NL)
    Prelude from the Holberg Suite (Grieg/Lorriman)
    Salsa Pa'Gozar (Philip Harper)
    Fantaisie Opus 96 (Hummel/Childs) (euphonium soloist Frans Aert Burghgraef)
    Revelation (Wilby)

National Brass Band of New-Zealand (NZ)

Prelude for Kerkrade (Young)
    Clouds (Ritchy) (trombone solist: David Bremmer)
    Dove Decending (Wilby)

Brass Band Chicago (USA)
    Benvenuto Cellini (Berlioz/Wright)
    Black and White Rag (Botsford/Snell) (soloists Mark Taylor and Dan Heffner)
    St Magnus (Downie)

Reg Vardy Band (UK)
    Peel Park (from Lowry Sketchbook) (Wilby)
    Piano Concerto nr. 2 (movements 2 and 3) (Shostakovitch/Howarth)
    Pictures at an Exhibition (from "promenade 5") (Mussorgsky/Howarth)
    Sabre Dance (Katchaturian)

Brass Band 13 Etoiles (CH)
    Homage (Van der Roost)
    Music of the Spheres (Sparke)
    The Flying Slide (Thompson)

Brass Band Buizingen (B)
    B of the Bang (Meechan)
    Concertino for Xylophone and Band (Mayuzumi/Vertommen) (soloist: Gaetan La Mela)
    Ginnungagap Seeming Emptiness... (Evenepoel)

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing Music of the Spheres, Revelation, Dove Descending, St. Magnus, Ginungagap ánd Pictures at an Exhibition all in one afternoon...:sup :wow

I added the own choice pieces of the lower sections to my initial post above

5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

We're only playing the 2nd and 3rd movements of the piano concerto, and from Promenade 5 to the end of Pictures at an Exhibition - we played all of both in our concert last week, as well as the test piece, Family Portraits and Flight (Wilby) - I'm still recovering!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

6. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

good luck to all the bands going, hope you have great fun! sorry i can't be there :( but anyway best wishes etc.
    xx

7. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Are you sure there are two bands in the same section playing "A Cambrian Suite" as their "OWN CHOICE" ;) piece?
    NB Us (Smithills) and Eutrepe
    :confused:

8. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

there's two in the first section too, doing Forest of Dean. *shrug*
    xx

9. Jan H

I just listed the pieces in the program book.
    It's not impossible that there are mistakes, but i think most own choice pieces are listed correctly.
    I don't know the piece myself, so for the rest I can't comment on it.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I hope my 'adopted' band for this year, Buizingen, do well! :cool:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Kerkrade
    WMC
    The National Band of Australia
    NL
    Limburg
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'll be there supporting Greenhalls and (finally a US band over here) Chicago , in the Champ Section...
    Home the NL tMPers come out in full support!!

13. Jan H

On Monday 11th July, The National Brass Band of New Zealand and Brass Band Willebroek will play the Gala Concert (19:30, Rodahal)

14. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

Thanks pat, it'll be nice having some extra support out there , we're all looking forward to having a great time - see you then!

15. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I'm going along with all my ickle buddies from Smithills. Oh no, got to be sensible, going as staff!! Moi? Sensible!! Will hopefully bump into fellow tMPers out there. :tongue:

16. Jan H

Let's all wear showercaps in order to recognise each other :rolleyes:

17. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Lets not!! :eek: Might get a bit warm!!

18. Binky

Binky New Member

Best of luck in your showercaps!..wish I was going again..sob..good luck Smithills, we'll see you at mfy in sunny Brum.

Binky

19. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

I've been recruiting my bandmates to become tMPers. But not enough of them would understand yet why I was wearing a shower cap at WMC. They might wonder if I had gone totally daft under the pressure of the competition (no offense, Vicki!!).

Anyway, I'd really like to meet some tMPers in Kerkrade. Maybe I'll don a shower cap AFTER we've performed...

20. Jan H

You could also try to recognize me from my avatar and profile pic, maybe that's a better solution ;)

What I remember from last time, is that there was a large bar and trade stand area at the main entrance. I think part of it was in a big tent that was put in front of the building. Plenty of oportunities to meet there I guess...

Anyway, good luck next saturday and sunday!

21. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:woo

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Kerkrade
    WMC
    The National Band of Australia
    NL
    Limburg