Working away from home?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by vonny, Aug 17, 2007.

1. vonny

vonny Member

I would really appreciate some advice from my tmp friends please.
    I have recently graduated as a teacher in Further, Higher and Adult Education and I have been offered a job in Avila in Madrid. It is a 12 month contract working with mainly Spanish professionals who want to become more confident speaking English, I am also going to be teaching psychology for 1 day a week in a small International teaching establishment. All my living arrangements, flights and monthly salary are in place and I go out to Avila on the 10th October for 2 weeks to meet my employers etc,
    I really would like to accept this job but my youngest daughter Naomi said she won't come with me but will stay with her nana who says that won't be a problem.
    I know that Madrid is only a 2hr flight from Manchester and I can travel back quite cheaply but it is the thought of being away from home and my family for a year.

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

It would be a fantastic life experience as well. Don't forget that?
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I lived and worked in Gibraltar for 3 years and can honestly advise you to go for it. I know you'll miss your daughter but like you said you can cheaply fly home anyway if you feel the need from time to time.
    It's amazing to live inanother culture for a while and actually you get to appreciate some things at home that you get to miss.
    I guarantee you will regret it if you don't give it a go and will always wonder how it would have been, and the job out there sounds cool.
    1 year is nothing and you'll be suprised how fast it will go
    Go for it, it will change your life!
  4. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I just got back from France after doing a similar thing for the year and would say definitely go for it. I missed my family but I knew they were only a short plane flight away and flights were very cheap. I'm sure you'd be able to afford regular trips home with companies such as Easyjet and Ryanair offering really good prices. At one point I found a flight for £8 including taxes!! and also I'm sure your daughter would consider a visit - maybe a long holiday so you'd probably find a combination of the two would work well. Its amazing going to live in another country and learn another language first hand and I think you'd regret it if you didnt go. Obviously its up to you but its not that long and will fly by. So I'd say aye. go for it! :rolleyes:
  5. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Go for might end up wanting to live out there. Look at the amount of Brits leaving the UK for sunnier shores. If I had my time again I would probably be living in France or NZ. Best of luck either way.