Words to play by

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

Anybody else got words ingrained into their memory cells as an aid to rhythms?

Such as...."Sat-ur-day" for triplets.

Some of the best I remember from when I was a sprog player are:-

"Carrot, I am a carrot, I am a carrot. etc etc" - Malvern Suite quavers bit.

"Pot-aaaa-to" - Academic Festive Overture

"Go to bed with a big blonde" - Four Little Maids 3/4 bit. :cool: (Taught this one when I was 12!)

Even now I make words up for certain passages, my favourite being.......

"stick it up yer bum" for any group of 4 semiquavers followed by crotchet,quaver etc...found in EVERY march going! :biggrin:

I'm sure more will come to mind....any others out there??
  2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

in music from kantara, the training band at st helens youth, made... "i like tea and toast for breakfast, i like tea and toast and marmalade for breakfast (but not with jam)"

cant tell you where it comes in, but its great sittin with mates from youth band listenin to bands playin that... we all sit there and mouth the words we made up for that part.

in lyonesse... for semiquavers that went into fives... my youth band had... i would like a hippopotamus
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Stan McDonald used to tell us that the opening of the shipbuilders was
    "i'm building a ship"
    "i'm building one too"
    and the opening of the 3rd movement was 'woooork get to work'
  4. lewis

lewis Member

Choc-co-late Ice Cream In my Tum.

For the rhythm to Mars from the Planets.
  5. davidsait

davidsait Member

Amst-er-dam Amst-er-dam Amst-er-dam Amst-er-dam Amst-er-dam

for the finale in Leonardo
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

"Oom pah, Oom Pah, stick it up your jumpaah" In the Allegro (3 before ) of Verona Lights! (silly flugel player getting that in my head!)
  7. Jamie

Jamie Member

Just boring 'Ap-ple pie' and 'chew-ing gum' for triplets for me... didn't really get to be much of a player, you see!!
  8. ju33les

ju33les Member

Just remembered....

two bits of paper / two pints of bitter/ **** in a bucket
    -all used for Nabucodensiwotsit
  9. HBB

HBB Active Member

10. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

for 5s I also (in addition to the aforementioned hippopotamus) use 'perpendicular'
  11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Paracetamol is another one for 5s.

"Keep the Rhythm" is a Derek Broadbent favourite for playing 4 square quavers...although my personal favourite has to be "Sh#t bag" to make sure the beginning of The Corsair is good ;)
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

A few of my favourites:

Timpani solo at the very end of "Call of the Righteous" (from the composer, Leslie Condon, himself, evidently):
    Weet-a-bix gives you a square meal nour-ish-ment

Opening statement from "Symphony of Thanksgiving" (Dean Goffin)
    Oh dear, b*g-gered it up! [Actually told to me by a SA bandmaster; Shame on you all!]

From the classical world, the opening of the 4th Movement, Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony:
    Who'se got the key to the sh*t-house?

And finally, an extended excerpt from the Fantasy-Overture "Romeo and Juliet" (Tchaikovsky), 2nd Subject: [Who says trumpet players get bored in rehearsals?]
    Oh b*g-ger off! I hate the sight of you; you make me want to puke! Why don't you f*** off?!

And on that tasteless note ...
  13. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Another version...sau-sa-ges and chips ap-ple pie

Agree with hippopotamus - 7s can then be muddy hippopotamus

My music teacher in school had a classic for the opening of Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture - I'm going to be sea-sick. I can now never listen to that piece with a straight face!